Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. My old Rockhopper (2006) is currently in the process of being given some love. The bike was left for too many years and as a consequence the drivetrain needs an overhaul. I'm looking to start from the bottom bracket out and work my way out to eventually having a 1 x 10 system (new BB, Crankset, Chainring, Derailleur, Cassette Shifter and Chain).

I've been looking at parts online and not sure if I'm overthinking things but I'm stuck in a loop of what I think what will work and what wont (the BB and crank arms being a real sticking point). Hoping to lean on some experience from here to get me on the right path (or track I should probably say). At the moment, gear ratios isn't too much of a concern. I'll worry about that when I can get an idea of what options there is (if this is an Ok strategy).

Regarding my knowledge, this is the first time doing anything like this and I having a passing understanding of bike components (enough to sound professional to some one who has no idea about bikes, but not enough to stop me sounding less than amateurish to someone who does)

Here's what was on the bike to give an idea...

BB: Shimano BBES-25 (photo attached)
Crank Arm: Shimano FC-M640/645 (photo attached)
Rear Wheel: Mavic 317 Disc (these replaced the original wheels and I believe a 10sp cassette can be fitted).

The bike will be used for recreational riding so I'm not too worried about climbing too far up the Shimano tier (around the Alivio/Deore is fine). In some regards, this is a confidence builder and a means to better understand bikes and a chance to get some experience.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Registered
Hi. You have an older style Shimano Octalink bb and crankset. The numbers on your bb show your Rockhopper has a 68mm wide bb shell. The other numbers underneath (1.37x24) show you're bike uses the BSA/English threaded bb standard.

You could easily upgrade and fit a Shimano Hollowtech II BSA 68/73 external bb and Hollowtech II 1x crankset (or a similar bb/crankset like Sram etc.).

I pretty sure you have a Shimano HG freehub which you could fit any HG cassette between 7-11speeds and even some compatible 12speed cassettes but it gets more complicated and expensive going to a 12 speed drivetrain.

I'm assuming your bike has a non Boost, quick release rear end so a non Boost crankset would be a better choice. There are plenty of cranksets available that use the same Hollowtech II system and various prices to suit your budget. 馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Reaperactual. Thanks for the reply, your advice is appreciated. Had a look around the web at your suggestions and it's good to know what the options are now. I'll keep it in mind regarding the non-boost crankset. You've taught me something new as I didn't realise it was a thing. Time to get shopping around I guess.

Thanks again, I'm really grateful. All the best.

Registered
Hi Reaperactual. Thanks for the reply, your advice is appreciated. Had a look around the web at your suggestions and it's good to know what the options are now. I'll keep it in mind regarding the non-boost crankset. You've taught me something new as I didn't realise it was a thing. Time to get shopping around I guess.

Thanks again, I'm really grateful. All the best.
No worries @Jonestown's Postman, your welcome. 馃憤Yeah non Boost cranksets have a 49mm ish chainline as opposed to 51-53mm ish for Boost which should be stated in most crank's spec you look at.

Shimano 11 speed cranks as an example is M7000 11-1 for non Boost and M7000-11-b1 for Boost.

Good luck getting what you need and happy upgrading Buddy. 馃槑

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.