Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Master of Beat
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to 180 on my STP and have never done them before. I can pull them off if going slightly downhill to give my rear tire a bit more room but never have the balls to try one and ride it out backwards, i just go forward again. Should i try one off a curb or something? I'm spinning to my left what's the easiest possible thing to try from here?

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
Overcome your fear and roll it out backwards, it won't hurt the bike nor you anymore than you stopping and going forward again like you say you do. Plus you get extra style points.

Off a curb is IMO harder, becuase you have to go fast enough for the whole bike to clear the curb or else you'll have some landing issues hehe.

Always spot your landing, look in the direction you're spinning.

·
Master of Beat
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I can hop onto benches and tables and stuff but i'm just getting into urban more and am freaked out about the thought of it. Like you said with a curb you have to go fast enough. Is there anything in-between flat and a curb that might help so I don't have to go so fast? Maybe a little kicker curb?

I feel like a big pansie talking about it but when I go to do it it's a different story

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
attomixt said:
Yea I can hop onto benches and tables and stuff but i'm just getting into urban more and am freaked out about the thought of it. Like you said with a curb you have to go fast enough. Is there anything in-between flat and a curb that might help so I don't have to go so fast? Maybe a little kicker curb?

I feel like a big pansie talking about it but when I go to do it it's a different story
If you know of a few wide tabletop jumps in your area, it's a good way to start. There's also skateparks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Doing 180s off ledges you don't need hella speed. Plus you can go at it at an angle too so there isn't as much bike to clear. Almost parralel to the edge. You should go ahead and just try it, make sure to commit. If you're on a sus fork there won't be any real impact on your wrists. Doing em off stairs you need speed.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
heh heh. That's the only part of my biking incident I remember in detail from two weeks ago. Good thing my head didn't snap backwards!

On the topic of 180s, I know I'm supposed to turn my head, but how much? I think I'm just not committing enough, because my bikes not following me . . .

·
Master of Beat
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well got to practice some today that the weather warmed up. I'll try to get some vid tomorrow so you can tell me what im doing wrong. Was getting more hop today, seems to help. Still can't even roll backwards though.

·
Rollin' twenties.
1,635 Posts
i was tryin 180s the other day at the park outa a realy mellow bank, i couldnt commit to the full rotation, and i was so focused on spinning the my hop was sucking.

so my advice is to commit and hop high.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i have trouble with this too....
i think once you get down the rotation good you need to do it faster,...then the riding backward will come more natrually

·
Master of Beat
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gonna get my vid today so you can possibly help me some. About rolling fakie, practice. Best way? Seemed liked when i get a lot of speed coming fakie off a ramp its of course easier, but no ramps around here that i'll be going to. Anything to try on hills etc?

·
Registered
561 Posts
what happens with a lot of people is they start spinning before their rear tyre is not off the ground and get tossed off the side of the bike. speed is your friend on these tricks, speshially after you start rotating more and more.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.