Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first post here on the 29er board. hello all! just got my new soma frame this week. very psyched! i'm hoping the build will be done by sometime next weekend. just have a question about the 06 reba i've ordered. does anyone have any experience w/ these forks on the new soma 29er (18 in.)? does the crown hit the downtube? seems like this would suck if you got in a spill and jacked your downtube all up. any answers for me? thanks for any replies.
nimai

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Perhaps this is one to ask Soma themselves, although headsets do vary. If it doesn't clear the Reba, what suspension fork was it built fork?

·
Registered
981 Posts
If contacting SoMa directly doesn't give you satisfactory answer, call up American Cyclery in San Francisco, CA.

American Cyclery is a reputable bike shop in SF. The owner of that shop actually started SoMA (who named brand after the South of Market neighborhood in SF) and the staff there is very knowledgeable and perhaps even responsible for designing the frame.
Call them up and see if they can shed some light on the Reba clearance question.

If your Reba does hit the downtube, there are a couple things you can do:
  • If it has the external metal knurled raised Floodgate dial, you can get a $40 Internal damper knob kit (from Speedgoat) that will reduce lower the Floodgate dial, but then you lose on-the-fly adjustment capability and will need to use a hextool. A non issue for many, but you may care.

• Get a headset that has a taller lower headset cup. This might give you just enough additional millimeters to clear the downtube. Freeride/DH headsets have cups as tall as 20mm (Syncros, FSA, Canecreek, etc.), which is taller than the average 12-15mm XC headset cups

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If you use a King headset.

J.N. said:
first post here on the 29er board. hello all! just got my new soma frame this week. very psyched! i'm hoping the build will be done by sometime next weekend. just have a question about the 06 reba i've ordered. does anyone have any experience w/ these forks on the new soma 29er (18 in.)? does the crown hit the downtube? seems like this would suck if you got in a spill and jacked your downtube all up. any answers for me? thanks for any replies.
nimai
Check this out: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=141661

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
All else being the same, a smaller frame will have less clearance, due to the steeper downtube. Often smaller frames have a slacker headtube though, for other clearance issues, so that may level things out.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
frankenbike said:
Get a headset that has a taller lower headset cup. This might give you just enough additional millimeters to clear the downtube. Freeride/DH headsets have cups as tall as 20mm (Syncros, FSA, Canecreek, etc.), which is taller than the average 12-15mm XC headset cups

The part of the headset that you are describing as being 12-15mm tall or 20mm tall is not the lower cup, it's the part that is inserted into the headtube. All of these headsets you pictured have a lower cup that is within a few mm of eachother in height.

This headset has a taller lower cup, the Cane Creek "S-3 Plus 5", and it's only 5mm taller than "normal"

Monte

1 - 9 of 9 Posts