Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bit of a frame geometry/size dilemma here. Trying to figure out what size frame to purchase and not sure whether to go strictly with reach numbers (well actually, reach + stem length), or if I should factor in effective top tube length as well.

Current Bike:
2018 Cannondale Jekyll
Size Medium
Reach: 448
Stem: 35
Effective Top Tube: 609

New frame Option 1:
Soma Valhallen
Size Medium
Reach: 417
Stem: TBD? Would like to run pretty short stem, ~35mm
Effective Top Tube: 610

New frame Option 2:
Soma Valhallen
Size Large
Reach: 446
Effective Top Tube: 640

Based on the reach numbers alone, it seems like I should go with a size large Valhallen. But I'm concerned that the effective top tube length is so much longer on the Valhallen vs the Jekyll, due to the Jekyll having a much steeper seat tube angle. What gives? Does a hardtail favor a slightly different riding position than a full suspension?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My thought on seat post angle is that you will ride where your comfortable, by adjusting your saddle back and forth. So seat angle is pretty easily compensated for.

As you noted, seat angle does affect the listed ETT numbers, but not the reach. So based on your numbers, I would go with the Large Soma since the reach is comparable.

Check the stack, though. Somas tend to run pretty low on their mountain frames.

I've got a bit of a frame geometry/size dilemma here. Trying to figure out what size frame to purchase and not sure whether to go strictly with reach numbers (well actually, reach + stem length), or if I should factor in effective top tube length as well.

Current Bike:
2018 Cannondale Jekyll
Size Medium
Reach: 448
Stem: 35
Effective Top Tube: 609

New frame Option 1:
Soma Valhallen
Size Medium
Reach: 417
Effective Top Tube: 610

New frame Option 2:
Soma Valhallen
Size Large
Reach: 446
Effective Top Tube: 640

Based on the reach numbers alone, it seems like I should go with a size large Valhallen. But I'm concerned that the effective top tube length is so much longer on the Valhallen vs the Jekyll, due to the Jekyll having a much steeper seat tube angle. What gives? Does a hardtail favor a slightly different riding position than a full suspension?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.