Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the Soma Juice to build up as a SS

I've heard (or read) that the frame is almost to flexy for a SS - true or untrue?

Also help me on sizing - I'm 6' 2" with a 32" inseame (long body) thinking about the 20"

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I am 6 ft 2in...

OSnap said:

I've heard (or read) that the frame is almost to flexy for a SS - true or untrue?

Also help me on sizing - I'm 6' 2" with a 32" inseame (long body) thinking about the 20"
also with a 34in inseam and weigh 250 lbs. I happen to rise a 20in soma juice ss and have no real issue's with excessive flex. Its not as stiff in the bb area as my Ted Wojcik though, which is also almost 1lb lighter. go figure.

·
Esperanza
128 Posts
I owned one, and then got rid of it. I liked it. The first one I got I had to send back under warranty, but Soma sent me a new one which was cool. Fit nice (I had the 18"), top tube was a bit short for my liking but workable, handled good. Never found it flexy, any more so than any other steel bikes I've ridden. In the end I got rid of it and got a Niner One9. Karate Monkeys and Juices are nice cromo bikes and all (I’ve owned both), but they are cheap (which is kinda nice don’t get me wrong!) and heavy no matter what you do with them. The geometry on the Niner is so much better, and the ride is killer. My advice is to wait till after your tax return (If you need extra $$) and get a Niner. I won't tell you not to buy a Juice, I liked mine... but I like my Niner sooo much more.

·
3,049 Posts
OSnap said:
Ok what were your other dislikes?
-Warranty issue (welds at seatstay-seat tube)
-Rear spacing too narrow (125ish)
-Disc mount welds sucked
-TT shorter than claimed
-Longish chainstays made it not such a good climber (SS)
-Paint was VERY not durable

Good things (in the interest of fairness):
-Excellent finishing (bb, head tube)
-Springy ride, especially the front end
-TONS of standover
-Geo

Right now I'm very happily on a K Monkey, it fits me better, climbs WAAAY better, and the lack of standover isn't an issue for my long legs.

·
Registered
847 Posts
No flex for me

I have a year on a Juice and a full season of racing.
I have no BB flex.
Welds are nice and clean.
Rear spacing is on spec at 132.5mm. No problems with 135mm axles.
TT is on spec.
Mine is a 16".
It's ready for another season.

OSnap said:

·
B****es!
40 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and using the XL 20" frame. The sizing is perfect in my opinion. I've had the frame for a little under a year and have had no issues with the bike. No flexing that i have noticed and i am running mine as a singlespeed rigid. Great bike and its hard to beat the price.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also had one that came w/ bad welds at the seatstay/seat-tube junction....
warranty replaced, new frame has MUCH better welds

I never noticed the paint not being durable or any excessive flex although I weigh 150# but I do ride hard

frame rides real nice IMO but the common problem of the Reba fork - didn't clear the downtube....fine w/ a rigid fork though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.