Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the back (toward the front) of the horizontal dropouts there are 4M threaded holes. These holes end into the chainstays. There is no access to these threaded holes from outside of the dropouts.

What are these for? They can't be used for tensioning on a SS since there is no access when a wheel is in place. The only thing I can think of is to use these as adjustment for the placement of a geared rear wheel.

Ideas?

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Steve N is thinking of the rack or fender eyelets, but you are correct about those threaded holes being for adjustment for a geared wheel.

Its a kinda funny story about those things. I sold my Juice to somebody a couple years ago and then bought it back a couple of months ago. In the time that he had the bike, he had installed a set of adjustment screws and when I noticed them I was saying to myself WTF? Personally I prefer to run the wheel all the way forward in the drops, so I took them out.

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
mx_599 said:
i have a juice too. you can use those as SS adj...albeit not conveniently. if you need to fine tune the chain slack you can adj them appropriately

mx
The problem with using them as SS chain tension adjusters is that you kind of need to be able to move the wheel all the way forward in the drops to get the chain to go all the way on the chainring. If you already have the adjusters set where the chain tension is right, then its really hard to get the chain to go around the chainring. I don't like putting that stress on the chain personally.

Since the Juice has track style drop outs, you might as well use a conventional style tensioner like the Surly Tug Nuts.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
bikerboy said:
The problem with using them as SS chain tension adjusters is that you kind of need to be able to move the wheel all the way forward in the drops to get the chain to go all the way on the chainring. If you already have the adjusters set where the chain tension is right, then its really hard to get the chain to go around the chainring. I don't like putting that stress on the chain personally.

Since the Juice has track style drop outs, you might as well use a conventional style tensioner like the Surly Tug Nuts.
yeah, i know what you mean. i was able to use hex head and barely get them adj....but it was a pain.
:thumbsup:

mx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.