Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big brown truck dropped off a new Soma Juice XL frame tonight. I should get it built in the next couple weeks, I'm still waiting on some brakes. I think it's going to be rigid single speed. I've got a black KM fork to use. The finish is very nice, I hope you can tell in the pics. The weight seems nice for a inexpensive steel frame. Can't wait to see how it rides.

Merry Christmas,
Steve

Attachments

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Wow, nice!

Google says : 5.25 pound = 2.381 kilograms
My green Surly Karate Monkey XL was around 2.720kg (excluding waterbottle bolts I think, but on the other hand V-ready), so a difference of 340g, quite significant. Of course there's a lot less tubing in the Soma. The Soma wouldn't fit me because of the short seat tube, but I'm a freak at that. Also in terms of fit the Soma XL is closer to the L KM.

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
cable guides

Hey Cruz, can you take a shot from the top showing the cable guides on the top tube? they look like they stick out to the side of the top tube in one of the shots. Do they?

If not, I'm sold.

G

·
Here's the itty bitty big wheeler...

I just finished building up this Soma for my GF for Christmas. Great standover (27.5") with an Exi on the front. Hope she likes it.

Attachments

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AshKa said:
it looks like Soma paid close attention to tire clearance at the chainstay, good thing. This frame looks very nice.
Here's a couple of shots of the tire clearance, Exi mounted on Delgado. Looks like there is plenty of room. The wheel is as far foward in the drop outs as possible in the pics.

Steve

Attachments

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bikecop said:
Hey Cruz, can you take a shot from the top showing the cable guides on the top tube? they look like they stick out to the side of the top tube in one of the shots. Do they?

If not, I'm sold.
There are 3 cable stops under the top tube, and brake cable guides on the side. Hope you can tell from the pics.

Steve

Attachments

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
I'm jealous. Don't you already have a Leviathan? Now you've got a nice HT too?

I don't even have a 29er yet, cuz you keep buying them! Looks like it'll be a fun ride.

Are you still enjoying the Levi?
Yes, I do have a Leviathan and love it. I also have a Custom Vulture I built in Sept. and since then its been getting most of the love. I've been running it single speed mostly, but had it geared of a couple of weeks and really enjoyed the HT ride with gears. Alot of the trails around are not SS friendly so the Vulture dosen't get ridden as much as I would like to. So my idea was to use the Soma for my SS rides (about once a week) and then have a geared FS and a geared HT to choose from for the rest of the time. I hope the Soma rides as good as the frame looks.

Steve

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
3 29ers, man I'm jealous!

I'm not sure if I should get the Soma Juice, or a custom from Curtlo or Spicer. I also want a Leviathan. Anyway I go, its gonna really cost me some big bucks...

Looking foward to a ride report on the juice. By the way, what fork are you gonna run on it?

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
3 29ers, man I'm jealous!

I'm not sure if I should get the Soma Juice, or a custom from Curtlo or Spicer. I also want a Leviathan. Anyway I go, its gonna really cost me some big bucks...

Looking foward to a ride report on the juice. By the way, what fork are you gonna run on it?
I've got a KM fork I'd thought I would try first, see how the rigid thing goes, but I've got a Marz to use as plan B.

Steve

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DirtDad said:
I love the curved tubing - along the top tube, the stays, etc. Post some more pics when it is complete. Or even as you build it.
Here's a couple of build pics. I still need brakes, mount the chainring (need short bolts), cog spacers, and chain. Feels like the weight won't be bad either.

Steve

Attachments

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wish I Were Riding said:
I'm jealous. Don't you already have a Leviathan? Now you've got a nice HT too?

I don't even have a 29er yet, cuz you keep buying them! Looks like it'll be a fun ride.

Are you still enjoying the Levi?
Here's a shot of the 29er stable.

Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.