Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've come to realize that there isn't a thread just for Soma Juice/B-side/Riff pictures. If there is one, sorry for the repeat. If you've got some photos of a Soma Juice or B-side/Riff, I'd love to see them.

I just got my Juice built up and am actually quite excited to share.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

120mm travel

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

150mm travel

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Spoke

Rockshox Pike 150-120mm dual position air

Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle

Shimano XTR shifter and SLX M7000 brakes

Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Thule Tour rear rack with Mudhugger rear fender (trimmed to fit under rack). Kryptonite lock and Serfas light too

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

The last cherry blossoms of the spring.

Components Spec:

Soma Juice 2018 Frame, Size Large
Rockshox Pike DPA 150mm-120mm 29 boost (Rebuilt a 160-130 pike using a shorter airshaft. Non-boost wheels and using Problem Solvers Boost adapters)
Easton Heist 30 29er wheelset
Surly Extraterrestrial 29 x 2.5 tires
SQ Labs 30X 16deg 30mm rise 780mm handlebars
Azonic Predator 50mm stem
Cane Creek 40 headset
Ergon GA3 grips
Shimano XTR M9000 shifter 11 speed
Shimano XT M8000 rear derailleur
Shimano XT 11-46 cassette
One Up 32T oval chainring
KMC 11 chain
Shimano XT M785 crankset
Shimano Saint MX80 pedals
Shimano SLX M7000 brakes
Shimano RT86 rotors (180F/160R)
Rockshox Reverb Stealth 150mm dropper post
Brooks Cambium C17 saddle
Salsa lip lock seat collar
Thule Tour rear rack
Mudhugger fenders
Serfas rear light
Light and Motion Urban 500 front light
Kryptonite Evolution Mini 7 Lock

Let's see some pictures of your soma juice/b-side/riff!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I my excitement I left out much of the relevant detail. I wanted to build a XC race single speed bike that could be plus curious. I don't have much interest in the 29+ or All mountain platforms because of fit constraints. I started by building a 1x1 and found the steep head tube and horizontal to be limiting factors for my riding and convince . The Riff seemed to be a more thoughtful execution for my goals. After much research I didn't find a whole lot of information and just decided to pull the trigger.

So far the updated more modern geometry is a welcome addition. I was surprised to find that the tire clearance seems to be notably larger. I like the Paragon drop outs much better because there is less fiddling and better retention. There is ample clearance for a variety of chain rings as well. Currently there is a 36t upfront and there is plenty of clearance.

Soma Riff (Small)
Recon RL R
KOM i29 rims to BHS Hubs
XR3 27.5x2.35 and Panaracer Driver Pro 27.5x27.5
GX 165mm crank
XT8000 Brakes
Hylix -25 Drop Stem
Syntace low 10 Bar

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel
Blue Bicycle accessory Electric blue Aqua Cobalt blue
Blue Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome looking riff! Hows the ride?

What fork and tire combo are you running?

-Edit: Whoops, I posted a reply before scrolling all the way down to see your second post.

Nice ride!

That is a very different type of build from the bike that I built up. Just shows how versatile these frames are!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I finally stopped by this temple that I pass each day on my commute. This is just the gate, I didn't take the time to go explore inside. There are lots of really beautiful temples and shrines just neatly tucked away all over the city. Many of them are seemingly unknown to most tourists and are therefore not very crowded.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Chinese architecture
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

It amazes me at how much history there is here. Just the other day the family and I went to Ueno park and stopped by the zoo there. Just so happens that there are the remains of a teahouse that was used to entertain shoguns as well as a pagoda from the 17th century just right there in the zoo.

Sadly, there have been no real dirt trails for this bike yet. I've been so busy with work and family and with no car I'd have to take the train to get to the mountains which is like 2 to 3 hours of travel time just to get there.

This summer, that's the goal. Take a whole day for myself and head out to some real trails.

For now I've been satisfying my dirt inklings by roaming through one very rare vacant dirt lot near my apartment as well as a dirt pathway near a construction zone on the way home. Sad I know, lol.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So far I far there are two things that I notice most about this build are the more modern geo 69°. Although it's relatively conservative now a days for race xc in the flat mid west it feels about right. The other thing I notice is the larger tires 2.4 feels wide by comparison to the 2.1's & 2.2's I am use too. With the tires at 16psi I can't claim to be able to test the frame stiffness. I am underwhelmed by both recon forks lack of dampening and the frames mediocre weld quality (judged by aesthetics).

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.