Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Single Speed
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's a Groove-n-Stein you ask? Take a Soma Groove and Frankenstein it with a 29er frontend and single speed. Homemade 26-29er. I just took a risk. A White Brothers Magic 29, 100mm up front on a 26" Soma Groove. Flipped the stem and put the spacers above instead of below(to keep some length on the headtube). That way the bars and seat are the same height from the ground as it was before. I built the front wheel with a WTB rim and Paul fhub. I built the rear wheel with a mavic rim and Eccentric ENO hub. So far great. Steers great.. the original head angle was 71.5 and this moved it to about 70 or a fraction less. Still handles well. Downhills much better than anything else I've ridden. Let me know what you think. I want the good and the bad. Just want some honest opinions. (oh and the stein also goes with my homebrewing)

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't care what folks think I like it

first off I love that frame and am really diggin' the idea of the 9 up front. I am going to giveit a shot this winter.

·
Registered
396 Posts
same here. Here is a pic of my Surly 96. I call it the mullet. Buisness in front, party in back ha. oh well bad joke. I like your ride and ride it like you stole it.

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sweet ride.

Hey JC2niner, is that the fork that came with the surly? So the suspension corrected fork allows for a 29 up front, eh?

I've been wanting to build a 1x1 frame and it seems like a 29 front and 26 rear would be the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
I'm going to be building up a Zion 853 frame in this type of configuration.

26" rear wheel and a 29er front wheel paired up either with a Surly Instigator fork, or a Zion rigid 26er fork.

I'm gonna run it as a single speed. I guess I either need to get a magic gear ratio, or find a rollenlager for chain tensioning duty.

I'll post her up here when I get her done (could take a while though).

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Congratulations!

More and more people get it. I believe that the 69er idea is here to stay. I converted my own Inbred to a 69er and love it. For racing I would go back to 26in wheels (as light as possible), but for fun riding and training, 69er is mucho fun.

Attachments

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
But is it better?

I guess if you already have a 26 inch bike, and a suspension corrected rigid fork, then the 29er wheel switch makes good sense, but is it really a better way to go than to just get a 29er? I mean like if your bike was stolen, and you could buy a new bike with insurance money, would you do a 96er or just get a regular 29er front and back?

Honest question.

·
401 Posts
Bigger in the front smaller in the back...........well the concept is not new but here is an exteme example that has been proven. The larger wheel in the front rolls over stuff better than a smaller wheel and the smaller wheel in the back is easier to spin as it is your bio-input that makes that happen. So what you have is a ride that maximizes the bike geometry. I am definately not an expert but do see the advantages of a bigger wheel up front and a smaller one in the back.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Lutarious said:
I guess if you already have a 26 inch bike, and a suspension corrected rigid fork, then the 29er wheel switch makes good sense, but is it really a better way to go than to just get a 29er? I mean like if your bike was stolen, and you could buy a new bike with insurance money, would you do a 96er or just get a regular 29er front and back?

Honest question.
I've ridden two different 29ers, so I'll let you know when my Zion project bike is done whether 26/29 is the real deal or not.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Lutarious: But is it better?

If anyone comes up with a yes/no answer, just ignore them. The reality is that riding full 29er wheels is a matter of preference. It depends on where you ride, how you ride, if you race, how strong you are, etc. It also depends on how much Kool Aid you drink. :D

But one cannot deny that a 69er is a neat combination of the 2 models (even if it looks rather weird). Most importantly (for me) the 69er retains the gear inches that I am used to and won't have the sluggish feeling that 29ers have off the block. After all, having a 29er in the back is like going in a higher gear - permanently. The 69er also gets the benefit of a big wheel up front where it counts the most.

The 69er does give up some traction in the back (less contact area than a 29er wheel), but the shorter chain stay can make up for that - especially for short riders who will have a tough time keeping their CM (center of mass) over the back wheel in hard climbs.

Frankly I am not sure the 69er gives up anything of real substance in terms of performance other than the rotational momentum than a full 29er will retain better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts