Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just recently bought a Double Cross frame to use as a daily commuter with some occasional single track and maybe even some endurance races. I wanted to chronicle a thread about my build (since I've never done one) and share my progress with anyone that is interested. Anyway, here it goes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GTscoob! I just came from the shop this morning and had them order me a Stan's Alpha wheel set on Origin 8 hubs, (trying to cut cost) and a SRAM Rival groupo with a Apex rear derailleur.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Sounds like our builds are pretty similar. I'm running Rival shifters/ders as well, but went for Velocity rims laced to SLX hubs.

If you havent decided on handlebars, check the Salsa Cowbells, super comfy drop bars. 12 degree flare at the drop and short reach means you wont be hitting your wrists on the top bars when in the drops.
Salsa Cycles | Components

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Received more parts today :)

More parts today!

Some nice Shimano touring pedals.
Photobucket

And an FSA headset. Wanted a Chris King but figured I could save the money for something else. Like more bike parts. :thumbsup:
Photobucket

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went with the 3TTT because they were cheap on eBay. $16!

https://Photobucket

And the piece that will tie the whole bike together. A honey brown B-17

Photobucket

I'm hoping that it will be built up before the weekend is over. If not, starting Monday I will be commuting to class every day. Ride report to come soon.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Im gonna steal the **** outta that bike when you leave it outside for class.

Whats your weight? Those alpha wheels are badass but I think im too big at 170.

Oh yeah, knobbies? Or slicks?

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im gonna steal the **** outta that bike when you leave it outside for class.
I'll take this as a compliment :thumbsup: Thanks!

I don't think you're too heavy dude. My LBS friend rides them on his road bike and recommended them to me. He weighs at least 250 lbs. I weigh 185. He said they would hold up, even in single track. We shall see.

For tires I got some Specialized Boroughs in 700x42. Slick in the middle, knobby on the side.

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Good to hear. Im gonna bug you after its built up and see how they are holding up. I may go that route for a cross and road bike if I ever build either.

·
Registered
150 Posts
look forward to the built pic. any idea what the max tire clearance is for the soma dc? i just built one up....running size 32 kenda small block 8. great urban tire, but want something more agressive - in the style of monster cross....

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
look forward to the built pic. any idea what the max tire clearance is for the soma dc? i just built one up....running size 32 kenda small block 8. great urban tire, but want something more agressive - in the style of monster cross....
I think the clearance is 42. My LBS guy told me that he was afraid that 45s wouldn't clear the frame. 42 is still pretty beefy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
you're gonna love this bike. the steel ride is awesome....and it's nimble and quick. will be interested to see how many spacers you roll with. what size is the frame and how tall are you? i'm rolling with the 54cm and i'm 5-9....apparently that equals 5 spacers....for now anyway.

·
Bicycle Addict
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you're gonna love this bike. the steel ride is awesome....and it's nimble and quick. will be interested to see how many spacers you roll with. what size is the frame and how tall are you? i'm rolling with the 54cm and i'm 5-9....apparently that equals 5 spacers....for now anyway.
I have a 56cm and I'm 5'10. I'm trying to go for a comfortable, commuter set-up. I don't want anything too aggressive since I'll be commuting more than anything on this bike. I know I'll probably catch hell for this. :nono:

·
since 4/10/2009
34,952 Posts
nice lookin ride. I'm building a commuter, too. hopefully my wheels come tomorrow, but they should at least be in by Wed. after that, all I'm going to need is to get fit for a stem at my lbs.

I scored a used black B17 from ebay for mine. I thought I'd need to get my hands on one of those wrenches, but mine appears to have a regular nut on the tension adjuster. not sure if that's just how older ones were...or whether a previous owner made that chance intentionally.

mine's black, cream, with red. should look quite sharp when finished.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.