Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two rides on the new bike. Very impressed so far! I don't have much experience on 29er's, but they never felt right to me. By the same token, my 26" Litespeed hard tail was feeling tiny. I also ride a Titus Moto-Lite. So far, I'd have to say that the B-side feels smoother than the Litespeed. Haven't weighed it yet, but I'm guessing it's somewhere around 25lbs, maybe less.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Nice build, good to see more 1x9's out there too :thumbsup:

I agree, the 29er just never felt right to me either, too heavy, too sluggish for quick acceleration, and I wasn't fond of the long wheelbase.

How do you like the Velvet?

Also, have you considered converting the front end of your Motolite? I'll be doing that with my 1x9 ML as soon as the parts come in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love the Velvet! I've been on Fox forks for many years, but given the clearance issues they have, I wanted to get something that fit right. The Velvet is torsionally strong, and soaks up bumps as well as anything I've ridden. It's a simple fork to tune, just air and rebound. I would definitely recommend it over the White Brothers fork, if for no other reason than saving about $300. I have it adjusted to 100mm of travel, which approximates the proper crown to axle distance that Soma recommends for the frame. This adjustment was done at the factory, as it can be set to 80 or 120 as well.

The only problem that I had was buying the wrong chain guide to run 1x9. The Deda Dog Fang does not get close enough to the middle chain ring to keep the chain on. (Probably works if you keep the granny gear though.) I just added an N-Gear Jump Stop, which can be adjusted to the proper distance.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Glad to hear you like the Velvet, it looks like you've got plenty of clearance.

I have an N-gear on a 1x9 hardtail, and have used them on several builds for others. They work pretty well most of the time, but I still get the occasional chain drop. I'm pretty sure this is due to pedaling in reverse as I'm positioning the cranks over rough obstacles. There is just nothing there to prevent losing the chain from the bottom.

To avoid this on the ML I went with an inner guard (Blackspire Blackguard) and a BBG outer guard. I have never had a drop using this sandwich configuration.

You may not even run into this issue though, I guess it just depends on riding style and trail conditions.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a MRP 1.x chain guide.
Works great. ( I also have the same crank.)
In several weeks (6 or so rides), I have only dropped the chain once, when a stick lodged into my chain / crank. Otherwise, it has worked perfectly.
It can collect a bit of mud and leaves, but from the pics, that might not be an issue for you.

They are coming out with the 1.x in different configurations - seat tube mounted for example.

Overall:thumbsup:

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Wheel size cults

titus247 said:
I don't have much experience on 29er's, but they never felt right to me.
29 inchers felt great to me from the very first ride. Does that mean I shouldn't try a 650B bike? I'm not a member of any wheel size cults. I still love my 26 inchers too.:) That's a great looking bike BTW.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
tl1 said:
29 inchers felt great to me from the very first ride. Does that mean I shouldn't try a 650B bike? I'm not a member of any wheel size cults. I still love my 26 inchers too.:) That's a great looking bike BTW.
I would try as many different configurations as you can get your paws on, and go with what feels best to you :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
reformed roadie said:
I have a MRP 1.x chain guide.
Works great. ( I also have the same crank.)
The 1.x look nice, but they offer zero bash protection from obstacles like rocks, and also do not protect against chain drops from the bottom. Not a good option for me since I ride in rocky terrain.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
salimoneus said:
The 1.x look nice, but they offer zero bash protection from obstacles like rocks, and also do not protect against chain drops from the bottom. Not a good option for me since I ride in rocky terrain.
There are no rocks or logs where I ride :rolleyes:

bottom drops? I generally pedal forward. If I am back pedaling to avoid bashing a pedal, it is for no more than a quarter revolution.

·
The White Jeff W
5,704 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheel size cult

tl1 said:

Gosh, I didn't realize I had joined a cult when I went 650B! Do we have a special hand shake? Or do I have to learn how to chant? :) If you like 26" and 29", I imagine you'll like 27.5" too. Thanks for the compliment on the ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts