Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got Shimano XT brakes on the back of my bike. The bike came with the XT's on both ends. I've replaced the front with Hayes A4 for more power up front and less noise.

The XT's seem have plenty of power for a rear brake, but they make an embarrassing racket when they heat up and I'm braking hard.

I'm stuck between putting A4's on the rear, or just getting new/better rotors and pads. Any of you experts think some galfer rotors and pads will stop the horrendous noise, or will the XT's always heat up and make the noise no matter what rotor/pad combo I have. I've tried MTX pads, but they eventually got warm and starting screaming too. I'd rather not go through the trouble of routing a new brake line internally if there's chance a new rotor and pads will fix the noise issue, since I really don't have any complaints with the brake other than the annoying noise they make.

·
Salt Lake City, UT
1,455 Posts
So I got Shimano XT brakes on the back of my bike. The bike came with the XT's on both ends. I've replaced the front with Hayes A4 for more power up front and less noise.

The XT's seem have plenty of power for a rear brake, but they make an embarrassing racket when they heat up and I'm braking hard.

I'm stuck between putting A4's on the rear, or just getting new/better rotors and pads. Any of you experts think some galfer rotors and pads will stop the horrendous noise, or will the XT's always heat up and make the noise no matter what rotor/pad combo I have. I've tried MTX pads, but they eventually got warm and starting screaming too. I'd rather not go through the trouble of routing a new brake line internally if there's chance a new rotor and pads will fix the noise issue, since I really don't have any complaints with the brake other than the annoying noise they make.
Email me direct and we will get your noise issues sorted. You should have zero noise with ours. Zero. Noise is usually a rotor issue but we can talk about prep and getting you another set to try.

Call us or email me:

kgorzny at mtxbraking dot com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rippin da fAt
11,913 Posts

Contamination is your source of honking brakes! Oils form your fingers can be enough to cause this.

MTX, curiosity on ceramic and rotor wear... Is as problematic as the automotive world?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.