Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an EMD with XT cranks. I want to make it 1 x 9. The EMD frame has wide flaired-out chain stays so I'm concerned about it rubbing. I can only really use 1 BB bracket spacer. Any more won't leave enough spindle for the left crank to grab onto.

Can someone recommend a single chainring solution that will fit this frame? Something with an integrated bash guard would be sweet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
You can use your existing crank. I did this with my MCR and XT crankset. Remove the small chainring. Replace the big chainring with a bash guard. The middle ring leave as is or better yet, replace with a single speed type chainring (without ramps and pins for shifting). I used a Salsa chainring, a Gamut bashguard, and a N-stop chain guide but I often wonder if the guide is really necessary. There are lots of other options out there for these components.
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Comrade K said:
You can use your existing crank. I did this with my MCR and XT crankset. Remove the small chainring. Replace the big chainring with a bash guard. The middle ring leave as is or better yet, replace with a single speed type chainring (without ramps and pins for shifting). I used a Salsa chainring, a Gamut bashguard, and a N-stop chain guide but I often wonder if the guide is really necessary. There are lots of other options out there for these components.
Basically did the same thing when we built my wife's 1x9 EMD.......started with X.0 Rear derailluer(long cage), Truvativ AKA crankset, Salsa 32t ring and N'Gear Jump Stop. The first ride out, the chain jumped to the outside a few times......so i installed a Blackspire C4 Bashguard......in the month and a half since......the chain only jumped once. I was warned that using the long cage derailluer could cause problems, but hasn't been a issue.

I did just purchase a Paul Chainkeeper today, so hopefully this will allow me to loose the bashguard.
 

·
SS Pusher Man
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
helexia23 said:
Thanks for the response. I'll check out your setup. Do you think something like this would work?

That seems like overkill........
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
helexia23 said:
I have an EMD with XT cranks. I want to make it 1 x 9. The EMD frame has wide flaired-out chain stays so I'm concerned about it rubbing. I can only really use 1 BB bracket spacer. Any more won't leave enough spindle for the left crank to grab onto.

Can someone recommend a single chainring solution that will fit this frame? Something with an integrated bash guard would be sweet.
Like this...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I run 2x9 on my EMD with 24-36. Not likely you would go to 36 for your only ring but the 36 on mine is way tight on the chainstay and has actually marked it due it flexing into it.
Just figured I would offer that up.
Good luck.
helexia23 said:
I have an EMD with XT cranks. I want to make it 1 x 9. The EMD frame has wide flaired-out chain stays so I'm concerned about it rubbing. I can only really use 1 BB bracket spacer. Any more won't leave enough spindle for the left crank to grab onto.

Can someone recommend a single chainring solution that will fit this frame? Something with an integrated bash guard would be sweet.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
idinomac said:
Bruce, have you tryed the widgit?:thumbsup:
No, I have not yet. I don't run a 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 on anything at this point, but if one does run a 1 x _ _ drivetrain and has a 104/64mm BCD crank - the Widgit sure makes sense if one wants to avoid mounting any extra doo-hickeys to keep the chain in place. I'd love to give one a go on my RIP, but it's all set up with a triple and working fine at the moment.

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
BruceBrown said:
No, I have not yet. I don't run a 1 x 9 or 1 x 10 on anything at this point, but if one does run a 1 x _ _ drivetrain and has a 104/64mm BCD crank - the Widgit sure makes sense if one wants to avoid mounting any extra doo-hickeys to keep the chain in place. I'd love to give one a go on my RIP, but it's all set up with a triple and working fine at the moment.

BB
Thanks and yah I might try a 28 on my Mamasita but I will want to have a 12x36 for the 24
hours at Afton MN. if it doesn't fit I also have a El Mar and it has a wider BB.
Dino.
 

·
Ride lots...
Joined
·
891 Posts
EMD 1x9 here too. I run a Niner 32t on Stylo cranks with no issues. I even ran a Race Face 34t ring for awhile and didn't have issues with that either. It was close, but it cleared just fine.

I use the MRP guide that's meant for 1x9's. It works great as its mount doubles as a BB spacer:


If you don't mind paying double, there's a front der. type as well:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top