Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this will be a good solution for the added stress Paragon sliding dropout with disc brakes place on the CS.

The CS is a Nova S-bend and to match the taper the brace is a section from a chainstay I mangled a while back (I'm sure we all have one of those).

I mitered the CS as normal, brazed the brace on, cut slots in the brace to match the CS, and then brazed in the dropout.

Has anybody else been thinking about solutions to this problem?

-Joel

Aircraft Model aircraft Airplane Metal Tool

Metal Steel Iron Hand tool Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
571 Posts
Joel,

Can we really quantify it as a problem?

Between a few of the builders here that use the cantilever design with frequency (Walt, Steve, Dave, me), resulting in hundreds of frames, there have been few if any issues.

Key elements to consider are proper tubing spec at the dropout end, appropriate insertion length, and a proper brazed connection.

One point of consideration is the addition of a stay brace...personally I choose not to use one.

FWIW, a very elegant brazed gusset on your piece, certainly adds to the integrity of the stay.

cheers,

rody

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I like the astetic of what you've done.

I think that the problems of the Paragon Sliders is the massive amount of alumium releaved below the brake tabs. I'm starting to think of getting some solid versions and giving them my own swiss cheese treatment.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Rody said:
Joel,

Can we really quantify it as a problem?

Between a few of the builders here that use the cantilever design with frequency (Walt, Steve, Dave, me), resulting in hundreds of frames, there have been few if any issues.

Key elements to consider are proper tubing spec at the dropout end, appropriate insertion length, and a proper brazed connection.

One point of consideration is the addition of a stay brace...personally I choose not to use one.

FWIW, a very elegant brazed gusset on your piece, certainly adds to the integrity of the stay.

cheers,

rody
A+ Rody pegs it on this one. steve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.