Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honey, there were a lot of descriptors bumping around in my head today as I played outside in the warm sunshine, and none of them had anything to do with it being the darkest time of the year or the start of the winter season.

It was another glorious Sunday in Austin, Texas--a perfect time to practice some tight single track and rocky hills in preparation for the upcoming race season. (Ours starts in February.)

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This little guy proclaimed Amy to be the sweetest one in the group.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A quick trip to another, more beginner-friendly trail before the sun went down rounded out a pretty darned perfect day on the trail. Thanks, guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Looks like you all had quite a nice "winter ride"! I wish I could say the same for myself! I live just outside Washington DC in the northern Virginia suburb of sterling. Our winter rides are cold, and our trails are normally muddy if not frozen. But those options are not even on the table as we recieved over 22" of snow!!! So count your blessings and ride extra hard for those of us buried in record breaking snowfalls!

·
Unpredictable
2,212 Posts
We have the weather here, but I am not sure I could ride the bit in the last of the not so beginner trail pics

That looks sickly steep, maybe not too techy, but ouch. No wonder you guys race.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Winter???? Looks like mid-summer to me! To be fair, riding in your mid-summer would probably require a refrigerated space suit. Sort of like winter riding in New England requires a heated space suit (and I have one). ;) I should swap out my studded tires and come down your way. Looks really nice.

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
So jealous. Great pics. Ride on and do an extra lap for your snow bound homies.

·
Gravity's Gone
1,384 Posts
Well, this ironic. I rode with a displaced Austineer (Austinite?) that same day who probably was wishing he were back down there with you guys. SW, you know this guy, right?

Winter Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Winter Sports equipment Bicycle helmet

Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Winter Sports equipment Helmet

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nankerphelge said:
Well, this ironic. I rode with a displaced Austineer (Austinite?) that same day who probably was wishing he were back down there with you guys. SW, you know this guy, right?
That guy? Nope, I've never seen him before in my li....

Wait. That beard. That beard *does* seem familiar.

But since the rest of him is covered up, I can't be sure.

;)

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nankerphelge said:
The poor dude's got thin blood from all those years of living in that warm climate with you guys.
Yep, it's a common condition 'round these here parts, that thin-blooded thing. Why just today (the day of the *actual* winter solstice), many of us Austinites were out and about, working on keeping our blood thin. ;)

Attachments

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
SW, you cut to the quick!

How can you forget me so soon after we've meant so much to each other!

I am aghast, and barren.

Ok, just kidding. I can see how all the camouflage gets in the way.

And who knew that i'd be, and I quote some other PA resident here, "borderline asanine" enough to take blood thinned for 105F riding and go hit 5" of snow at 22F?

I had a great time Sunday, but it did not escape my thoughts that this IS the good time to be living near the 30th Latitude.

It was also more work than pretty much any ride I've done, per unit distance, in ten years.

Although I can see the logic of the Snow Shuttle ride.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bear said:
I can see how all the camouflage gets in the way.
Exactly! You're pretty darned unrecognizable, especially in that strange, white setting. :p

Perhaps a wee holiday trip is in order??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts