Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to have a day or so in Pisgah where I won't have a riding buddy. I'm skeptical to ride any backcountry or remote areas by myself. I've done a good bit of riding in the Davidson River area so I'm pretty familiar (to an extent) with those areas. I'm looking for rides that I can't get lost on, and that aren't super backcountry. Ideally I'm going to leave a map for my girlfriend so she knows where to look for my lifeless corpse if I don't show up on time :p


Some rides I'm considering:

1)Greens Lick (Is that a dirty word around here these days?)

2)Black Mountain, but using the bypass to skip the extreme tippy top and just ride the lower section of it.

3)Bennet unless it's seasonal? I've seen some debate about this


What about some stuff in the Fish Hatchery area? I like Butter but it's closed I think :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Options

Green's Lick isn't really "Pisgah", but it would be fine for a solo ride & pretty tough to get lost.

AFIK, Bennet IS seasonal (and currently closed). Others may have different opinions.

Butter Gap is open, but ONLY if you ride back uphill to Davidson River Rd. at the bottom of the downhill. The connector trail from the bottom of the downhill to the fish hatchery parking lot IS seasonal & currently closed.

Wherever you end up, enjoy yourself. I love solo riding, you just have to be a little more careful. Of course, a broken collarbone in the Pisgah sticks would SUCK even with company, but it would REALLY SUCK solo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
pisgahproductions said:
Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock is one of my all time favorite solo rides. It's easy to find, nearly impossible to get lost, and heavily traveled (in case you end up needing evacuation).
What he said.
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pisgahproductions said:
Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock is one of my all time favorite solo rides. It's easy to find, nearly impossible to get lost, and heavily traveled (in case you end up needing evacuation).
Yeah I love that trail :D

Maybe I'll ride that one of my days. Also, can anybody recommend some outdoorsy stuff to do with my girlfriend while I'm up there? I was thinking about taking her up to Looking Glass.. it's not a super long hike, although somewhat strenuous. Anything else "girlfriend friendly" to do? She's not much of a rider, so I'm thinking some hiking and swimming would be fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Jim311 said:
Also, can anybody recommend some outdoorsy stuff to do with my girlfriend while I'm up there?... Anything else "girlfriend friendly" to do? She's not much of a rider, so I'm thinking some hiking and swimming would be fun.
There are swimmin' holes throughout PNF (brrrrr..), sliding rock is a popular (nominal fee) area. You can go tubin'!! There are also lakes up at DuPont, if you are heading that way.

If you guys are going to hike, I would recommend heading up to the Parkway and out to Shining Rock, there you'll find a wilderness area that includes some of the best vistas around!
 

·
yeah, uh............bikes
Joined
·
2,712 Posts
Jim311 said:
Yeah I love that trail :D

Maybe I'll ride that one of my days. Also, can anybody recommend some outdoorsy stuff to do with my girlfriend while I'm up there? I was thinking about taking her up to Looking Glass.. it's not a super long hike, although somewhat strenuous. Anything else "girlfriend friendly" to do? She's not much of a rider, so I'm thinking some hiking and swimming would be fun.
Dupont, hike to Bridal Veil Falls.......
 

·
Its got what plants crave
Joined
·
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a waterfall tour set up out at DuPont. I figure if I can get the girlfriend to ride mostly gravel trails she'll be okay and it will be easier for us to see more of the waterfalls that way.


I had forgotten about sliding rock. I might check that out on Thursday or Friday before the mass of ******* humanity rolls in for the weekend, haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,417 Posts
tcookson said:
Green's Lick isn't really "Pisgah", but it would be fine for a solo ride & pretty tough to get lost.

Minor correction, Green's Lick and all of Bent Creek are technically part of the Pisgah Ranger District of Pisgah National Forest (which has a total of 3 districts). Bent Creek has a dual management structure. The trails and recreation aspect (lake and campground) are managed by the Pisgah Ranger District office (over near Brevard on 276) while the forest resources (trees and whatnot) and experimental "stuff" is managed by Bent Creek Experimental Forest.

There can be many sub classifications of any given USFS lands. Shining Rock Wilderness is in and managed by Pisgah District, as is the Sliding Rock Recreational Area.

Woody
 

·
drunken pirate
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
sneakyalien said:
There are swimmin' holes throughout PNF (brrrrr..), sliding rock is a popular (nominal fee) area. You can go tubin'!! There are also lakes up at DuPont, if you are heading that way.

If you guys are going to hike, I would recommend heading up to the Parkway and out to Shining Rock, there you'll find a wilderness area that includes some of the best vistas around!
I'm not sure that Shining Rock Wilderness is a great choice for a girlfriend hike, unless she is an avid hiker. It is wilderness and can be tough. Poking around Graveyard Fields and Ivestor is fun but if you are leaving out of Big East Fork or Daniel Boone you face some serious elevation gains on some serious terrain.

Looking Glass Rock is a good hike and John Rock at sunset is a great hike :thumbsup:
 

·
XC Champion
Joined
·
289 Posts
I've probably ridden Greenslick 50 times solo (give or take a few of course). I wouldn't be too worried about any of the rides you mentioned - except for the seasonal ones because you could get in trouble. Have fun! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Hence the quotes: "Pisgah"

I know Bent Creek is in PNF, but when folks talk about riding in "Pisgah", they're usually not referring to Bent Creek. Davidson River Area, Mills River, Kitzuma, & Heartbreak sure, but usually not Bent Creek.

In short: Pisgah = anywhere in PNF, while "Pisgah" = technical riding in PNF.

Woodman said:
tcookson said:
Green's Lick isn't really "Pisgah", but it would be fine for a solo ride & pretty tough to get lost.

Minor correction, Green's Lick and all of Bent Creek are technically part of the Pisgah Ranger District of Pisgah National Forest (which has a total of 3 districts). Bent Creek has a dual management structure. The trails and recreation aspect (lake and campground) are managed by the Pisgah Ranger District office (over near Brevard on 276) while the forest resources (trees and whatnot) and experimental "stuff" is managed by Bent Creek Experimental Forest.

There can be many sub classifications of any given USFS lands. Shining Rock Wilderness is in and managed by Pisgah District, as is the Sliding Rock Recreational Area.

Woody
 

·
drunken pirate
Joined
·
1,414 Posts
tcookson said:
I know Bent Creek is in PNF, but when folks talk about riding in "Pisgah", they're usually not referring to Bent Creek. Davidson River Area, Mills River, Kitzuma, & Heartbreak sure, but usually not Bent Creek.

In short: Pisgah = anywhere in PNF, while "Pisgah" = technical riding in PNF.

I disagree. When people speak of Pisgah I assume they are referring to the Pisgah Ranger District. Davidson River, Fish Hatchery, Ivestor, Mills River, Bent Creek all equal Pisgah to me - Map #780. Kitsuma, Heartbreak, Coleman Boundary, Wilson's are all in the Grandafather District and yes while they are still in Pisgah National Forest they aren't what people mean when they say 'Pisgah'. Bent Creek is definitely Pisgah.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
driftwood said:
I'm not sure that Shining Rock Wilderness is a great choice for a girlfriend hike, unless she is an avid hiker... But if you are leaving out of Big East Fork or Daniel Boone you face some serious elevation gains on some serious terrain.
Forget leaving out of Daniel Boone and whatnot...Heading out to Ivestor Gap via Tennent Mt. or the Art Loeb is not difficult at all... Even just going to the top of Sam Knob is what I'm talking about, and all of those trails are waaaay easier than a John Rock/Looking Glass Rock out and back.

Just head out FR 817 off of the Parkway, and you'll be straight. I've even taken my grandma out there, no joke!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Waterfall tour is a good idea in Dupont. Consider instead of sliding rock, the micro-sliding rock at Cove Creek Campground. We went there a couple of weeks ago. If you aren't familiar with it, turn left on the double track when you finish screaming down Cove Creek. Just a few steps later is a granite rock that slides you down into a shallow pool. I'm a total wuss when it comes to cold water, but even I managed to enjoy the mellow slide down and into about 18 inches of water. Managed to keep chest and northward dry. The pool actually gets deeper if you want to swim, and there are baby trout to look at. The rhodoendron were in bloom surrounding the little pool, and we were lucky enough to get about 20 minutes alone before another couple showed up. So, hopefully no mass of ********.

You could hike up the illegal side of Cove creek before you go swimming. There's a waterfall to be seen from that trail.

Of course, if you WANT to play "guess the weight", go to the swimming hole in Davidson River. There's always something to look at in the water there, and I don't mean trout.
 

·
Big Mac
Joined
·
4,989 Posts
driftwood said:
tcookson said:
I know Bent Creek is in PNF, but when folks talk about riding in "Pisgah", they're usually not referring to Bent Creek. Davidson River Area, Mills River, Kitzuma, & Heartbreak sure, but usually not Bent Creek.

In short: Pisgah = anywhere in PNF, while "Pisgah" = technical riding in PNF.

I disagree. When people speak of Pisgah I assume they are referring to the Pisgah Ranger District. Davidson River, Fish Hatchery, Ivestor, Mills River, Bent Creek all equal Pisgah to me - Map #780. Kitsuma, Heartbreak, Coleman Boundary, Wilson's are all in the Grandafather District and yes while they are still in Pisgah National Forest they aren't what people mean when they say 'Pisgah'. Bent Creek is definitely Pisgah.
A very typical conversation 'round here goes something like this:
"You ridin' today?"
"Yeah. You?"
" Yep. Where ya going?"
"Bent Creek I guess. I gotta work. Wanna go?"
"Nope. I gots the day off. I'am going to PISGAH!

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,417 Posts
"In short: Pisgah = anywhere in PNF, while "Pisgah" = technical riding in PNF."

A subtle difference, but you may be correct that folks do speak of this difference. It is all Pisgah to me, just different parts of Pisgah.

See you on the work project this weekend (in DuPont State Forest, not part of Pisgah and not a state park).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,107 Posts
I'll second (or third) Shining Rock/Tennant Mountain. I took my 3 & 5 y/o daughters up there. They had a blast. It's moderate and you can always see what the next section involves. The temps up there are 10 degrees cooler than Brevard and it can be windy. Take a jacket.

The views from the top of Looking Glass are worth the effort, too.

I'd pass on Sam's Knob. It may be short, but it ain't easy.

Also, I think most mountainbikers consider the Pisgah Ranger District to be "Pisgah".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
776 Posts
pisgahproductions said:
Laurel Mountain to Pilot Rock is one of my all time favorite solo rides. It's easy to find, nearly impossible to get lost, and heavily traveled (in case you end up needing evacuation).
I remember when this ride was "backcounty"! Bent Creek is a city park as far as I am concernd. See y'all at Dupont for some trailwork Saturday.:thumbsup:
 

·
Go make a difference
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
When are you gonna be there? I'm heading up with my GF next weekend (18-19 JUL) b/c she's racing the FBCC (road racing). I want to try and catch her races which are about 115 Saturday and Sunday but can ride beforehand.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top