Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home today from a two day solo from home to Mount June and back. I had great weather, no rain.

I left home 9 am tue morn, went out weyerhouser to wallace creek to high way 58 and rattlesnake rd to eagles rest and mount June.

Mount June is 4600 ft, Springfield is 500ft. I had a nice ride out, it was a struggle climbing the Eagles Rest rd. The whole ride was 66 miles round trip.

I had a cheeto burrito for lunch near the eagle rest trail. I had lot's of climbing to go.

The 2x3 worked great, just like a single speed/gearie should. I wouldn't have wanted to do this ride from home an my ss. I'm not that tuff. I didn't miss all the gears that much, I have a nice wide range for touring off road.

Attachments

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Only the essentials were brought

Booze and cheetos are essentials for my solo campout.

I only carry one water bottle and a water bottle filter, I count on finding water along the way. Part of the challenge is finding water when you need it so you don't have to haul too much weight. I am not wearing a camelbak.

I was hoping the spring on Mount June was running, it was. I filled my bladders and put them on my bike for the last 3/4 mile straight up June, that was the hardest part. My bike was heavy with camping bike and all that water.

Water is essential for staying warm all night without a sleeping bag or tent. Hot water will be put in the platapus bags for snuggling up to when it's freezy during the long night.

Attachments

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikes make good carts

It's steeper than steep the last 1/2 mile up June, I put the water in trash bags hung over the frt rack, the black bladder hung on the rear. Now my bike was really heavy and I had the hardest part to go.

I took in the views along the way, anyone know the name of this pretty flower? I enjoyed all the many flowers the whole way.

Good views of Lookout Point Lake, Sawtooth Ridge and Hardesty. A forest service lookout tower used to be on top of Mount June.

Attachments

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The hobo stove went all night

I collected a few arm loads of sticks for the Hobo stove. The wood was dry and it was windy so it fanned the flames and really made the stove work great.

I filled three trash bags with conifer branches for a mattress. Soon the fire was cracklin and I had hot water for hot whiskey drinks and filling my bladders.

I am always amazed how little wood I use, I had half what I collected left over in the morning. I really enjoyed the star show and the sunrise/sunset. I saw several metors and satelites.

I filled the whiskey bottle with water and dropped it in the stove to heat, it made an nice warmer.

I wore all my clothes to bed, that whole black bag on the frt of my bike was warm clothes.

Attachments

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I camped on an exposed rock

I put one hot bladder between my legs and the other in my jacked. I lay on the conifer branches in the white trash bags and put a poncho over me for wind protection. I put the unfolded crazy creek chair on top on me under the poncho for insulation.

I was nice an cozy, I wore two long sleeve jerseys, a pile vest and a rain jacked with hood and a balaclava. I wore warm tights, baggie shorts, two socks and water proof socks with warm slippers, I wore my gaiters too.

The wind was non stop and kept blowing smoke in every direction, I had to move the stove farther away to not get smoked out. My poncho kept blowing off too, I was up all night feeding the fire and refreashing my hot bags.

I got my usual 2ish hours of sleep. I was glad to see the dawn.

Attachments

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't tell I had a fire all night

the hobo stove burns wood completely, this is all the ash I had after burning wood for 12 hrs. I left my campsite like I found it.

I was packed up an on the trail by 9am, I took the Lost Creek trail back. I had never been on that trail before, I loved it.

Fog was sitting in the valley floors early this morning. I was home by 1:30, the ride home was a lot easier.

I'm already looking forward to my next adventure.

Attachments

· dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,145 Posts
So is this the new singlespeeding? No sleeping bag and a wood stove for heat? Next there will be a sticky thread called, "Why Sleep in a Garbage Bag?"

I like my 2 lb down bag and Jetboil just fine. I mean holy crap! Was all that water for heating?!?!? I use this sometimes for water.

Glad you had a nice trip! I guess it does sound better than what I did Monday and Tuesday even with the garbage bags.

-M

· Registered
2,077 Posts
i love your adventures, please keep on posting them! and i too would love a quick and dirty on how to make my own hobo stove!

i could really use that in my own backyard for sittin around with friends at night enjoying cold one's! and for camping of course...

· Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.