Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there do this? I used to do it quite a bit in SLO, which is known mountain lion country, and admittedly, it required some testicular fotitude. Just wondering if anyone around here has done/does it regularly, and what they thought on the risk of seeing large kitty-cats out on the trails.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,982 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I encountered 4-5 other solo riders and no groups. You're not always alone out there.

About the risk. Well. sukkit

Someone will always find your bones. And the hobos camped in the MR are easier prey than we are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent the last 3 summers working 12hr night shifts so I did quite a bit of night riding in the foothills. Never seen any big cats, seen a lot of deer, coyotes, foxes and the like but I stayed on the lower trails not going up very high. I think with all the activities in the foothills they'd be more likely to run and hide than anything else.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yo, SLO-

There were a few threads about this last year if you want to see what people have said in the past.

I'm in need of a new light so I haven't ridden at night for a year, but I used to ride solo at night occasionally. I live near Tablerock, so I would usually ride there or Shane's. I've spooked many a deer, coyote and fox. I rode TR one night when there was a bear sighting at the Pen earlier in the day without seeing the critter. Mountain lions used to be higher in the hills, but one killed a deer in my neighbor's yard last winter. They are definitely becoming more common in the lower foothills now, so I guess it just depends on how you feel about your chances.

BTW - when I lived in SLO the only cougars were at the Motel Inn. ;)

·
Registered
700 Posts
What's that smell?

If you fill your flask with Irish whiskey before you leave the house, you aren't riding alone!

If you are worried about the kitty getting your tender vittles put some Vicky's vapor rub on them. We all know nothing can get past that smell. And I promise if you put enough on, your cohunes will stay warm!

Winter - when we ride with only the spot in front of you.

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
I freguently ride at night with my dog and tend to freak out some other night riders since I like to ride up hill by moonlight or citylight.

They hunt mtn lions around here and I think this makes them a lot more afraid of humans. Once they lose that fear of man I think it is a different story.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I saw a lion before a solo ride in BC and my whole ride was affected. I kept hearing noises and devising a plan of what to do in case... turned out to be a fun ride, but for diff. reasons. I saw on the news later that night that it was spotted stealing chickens from a nearby farm. I think your safe unless there is no natural prey available...So. California for example. Dogs, cats, kids, mtn bikers!! Seems there are plenty of deer in the Boise footies, for now!

BTW, I heard that there was a lion sighted over on Catalpa and 36th last year? Anyways...vapor rub sounds good and warming!

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"BTW - when I lived in SLO the only cougars were at the Motel Inn."

Heh heh...+2 on that one.

"If you fill your flask with Irish whiskey before you leave the house, you aren’t riding alone!"

I like the way you think!

"Winter – when we ride with only the spot in front of you."

Nice. I have yet to really dive into this realm...after living in Bend, you couldn't really night ride (or any ride) unless you drove out twenty miles into the desert. I was too busy fighting with my ex to do that anyway.

"About the risk. Well. sukkit"

That's pretty much what I was figuring.

·
blet drive
2,178 Posts
yes there are risks but for some of us the dark is the only time we get to ride so we make the best of it. I usually don't encounter to may things.. the last encounter was a homeless guy that jumped out at me and scared the snot out of me.. It is fun to ride in the dark on full moons..

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to go out to Montana De Oro all the time to do full-moon rides....good stuff. Love the way the moonlight reflects off all that limestone.

But JungleKid...yeah...that's kind of the mentality that I have. Got to do what you got to do...just curious about cats in this neck of the woods.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Two years ago they shot a cougar a couple hundred yards from my backyard in the Eastend foothills.

It might be better to be taken down by a cougar at night when you can't see.

Can you image the fear of seeing a cougar of this size and magnitude in the daylight! Boy'o that would get the legs pumping and the wheels spinning

Attachments

·
Boise
211 Posts
I've been night riding for the last couple of years....mainly in the fall after the time change. I've never seen anything or anyone other than other riders doing the same....the thought of running into a cat does occasionally cross my mind the further I get up the hill.

I did see a cougar higher up on Bogus Basin Rd this summer, typically thay don't want anything to do with us humans.....I think people perceive it to be safer during the day.... but the cats are out there day and night.

·
More cowbell!
34 Posts
I think everyone should acquire an old Zefal pump for self-defense against lion attacks. When brandished properly, not only will 20" of hollow aluminium deter aggresive feline behavior, the old school look will make you totally cool in the eyes of fixed gear hipsters!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.