Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few people talk about this and was wondering where to get it for free. My metals shop teacher can show me how to use it so i was thinking about trying it out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
solidworks sells professional licenses and that allows users in that company to have an "at home" copy. Meaning the program isn't encrypted nor passworded. Find someone who is a mechanical engineer that you know or are related to and get it that way. Its a pretty popular program so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Finding one for dowload on the internet will be very hard to find these days.

I am assuming that you are just going to be messing around so any 3D modeling CAD programs should do it, Solidworks, Pro/Engineer, IronCAD, CATIA, Inventor, etc. Stay away from AutoCAD. Find any practicing Engineer and you will find one of these programs that they will have a professional copy of. Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am a mechanical engineering student and have never found a legal free copy of Solidworks. They do have a student edition for $99. It doesn't include COSMOS, which isn't a big deal if you just want to screw around in a modeling program. $99 really isn't too bad for a program as powerful as Solidworks.

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
falco-kona said:
I am a mechanical engineering student and have never found a legal free copy of Solidworks. They do have a student edition for $99. It doesn't include COSMOS, which isn't a big deal if you just want to screw around in a modeling program. $99 really isn't too bad for a program as powerful as Solidworks.
Yup, that's what I meant.

·
No Fear
1,372 Posts
I have got it from university it’s a professional Edition but has limited working time . Im studying Mechanical Engineering in designing Agricultural Machines . I can update my SolidWorks till im studying in that department. I have made 2 Hart trail frames and 4 Suspended ones 2 fork’s with internals some rotors ‘ handle bars ‘ stems rims and…. Most of them was a complete copy of a real part I only measure them and made them on the solid desktop .But I tried to innovate on some too.
It’s a great wonderful world I sit in front of it with the hand sketched detailed maps which I had draw from the parts for hour’s and hour’s . and I love it .

·
Registered
295 Posts
This place has the student version with or without COSMOS http://www.studica.com/SolidWorks/
I think SolidWorks offers a free 30 day trial version, but you may have to be a company.
Check out www.solidworks.com
I have used AutoCAD 2D and some 3-D, Pro-E for 5 years and SolidWorks for 7 years. Pro-E is the most capable but SolidWorks is easier to learn. I don't like AutoCAD for mechanical design only for 2-D electrical/pneumatic schematics. The COSMOS add-on for SolidWorks is easy to use, it works within SolidWorks for doing static stress on parts or assemblies. There is different versions of COSMOS, the basic one does static stress and maybe thernmal. There is also higher versions of COSMOS that does freqency, fluid dynamics and COSMOS Motion.

Erik,
www.balleracing.com

·
College
1,198 Posts
My professor hands them out for free. You can download autoCAD from engineeringrules.org but i believe that only some schools allow their students to download from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.