Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a production bike (cant afford to build one) like the rocky mountain vertex 29. Basically want something i can buy and just ride for around $1300 with gears front suspension. Frame material not really a big deal i like steel but dont mind aluminum.

Help a brother out and list some bikes that you would reccomend or that you have youself ridden and liked.

here is the rocky

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+VERTEX_29.html?BIKE=805&Y=2010&CATID=1&SCATID=49

·
Registered
40 Posts
tryallrider said:
Personal experience with both the Sette and the Motobecane. The Moto is a "better" components group. But for some reason the Sette has a more supple feel to it, if AL can be supple. I have my Moto set up rigid and the Razzo as my hardtail. As long as you can do your own wrenching or have someone at a shop, either is a good buy at that price, IMO.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check out your local shops before you go online, I wouldn't trust anything mail ordered that I couldn't ride first in person. REI carries a Cannondale Caffeine 29er and those usually run about $1k there. I got on one, didn't like the handlebar shape, but otherwise really nice bike.

Also, what size you looking for? Most production frames now skip 2 inches for every size up, so it's very easy to be between sizes in some manufacturers, and right spot on with others. For me I ride 20" frames, not 21, not 19. Rocky Mountain, Vassago, Surly, and Cannondale run in the 18, 20, 22 category that I prefer, whereas Trek, Specialized, and many others run 17, 19, 21. I'd never get a bike that was one inch too big or one inch too small (I've done it, always regretted it).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats why i was looking at the rocky mountain. I can buy it locally its a bit more money but i dont have to deal with any of the bs. Seems to be a nice bike 28lb bike somewhat ok parts spec and just about $1250-1300. I already have 2 rocky's in the stable so another wouldnt hurt i guess.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have the Tora SL 80 mm on the front of my Specialized. It is a decent "average" fork. Nothing to write home about, but gets the job done.

In your price range, you can get a GF Cobia (RS Tora), probably a RIG (SS) which has the Fox fork, or for a bit more, the X-Caliber.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'd go with the Redline D440 and a REBA fork on Ebay. If memory serves the D440 is around $900. You can find a new REBA on Ebay in the $300-400 range.

Or as someone already said just pony up the extra cash for the D660. Biggest difference is the D660 would have an aluminum frame where as the D440 is steel. I like the trail manners of my steel Monocog over my aluminum Paragon...so I'd go the D440 route if I had to do it all over again.

·
XC Rider
131 Posts
I have to put in a vote for the D660. It is more like 1500 but a great bike and very flexible. I have raced it, commuted on it, completed sprint tri's on it, and set it up single speed. Awesome bike in my opinion for the price. I just think you can't go wrong with a hardtail 29er as your main workhorse!

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2010-d660

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
tryallrider said:
Thats why i was looking at the rocky mountain. I can buy it locally its a bit more money but i dont have to deal with any of the bs. Seems to be a nice bike 28lb bike somewhat ok parts spec and just about $1250-1300. I already have 2 rocky's in the stable so another wouldnt hurt i guess.
4 pounds heavier than the Razzo, just so you know. Price/parts is one aspect, weight is another. Speaking personally I dont mind buying online, but thats me and I dont see it as a hassle. I would shoot for not only the best parts spec for the money but the lightest bike you can get. If your not confident enough in fitting using the charts online, then I would ultimately suggest buying at a store. I am sure everybody would rather see you happy with your purchase than frustrated.

You can also try fitting yourself with the help of a friend using this http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dozerdog said:
I have to put in a vote for the D660. It is more like 1500 but a great bike and very flexible. I have raced it, commuted on it, completed sprint tri's on it, and set it up single speed. Awesome bike in my opinion for the price. I just think you can't go wrong with a hardtail 29er as your main workhorse!

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/mtb/2010-d660
How is the parts spec (gearing and fork) hold up it dosent look all that bad for the money. LBS is calling it $1250 ish they said they would call in the morning for exact pricing.

·
XC Rider
131 Posts
tryallrider said:
How is the parts spec (gearing and fork) hold up it dosent look all that bad for the money. LBS is calling it $1250 ish they said they would call in the morning for exact pricing.
The fork is what makes this bike a great buy above most, the Reba is solid as hell. The X9 rear and the Truativ front crank have been really solid. I love the 1x9 it works really well for what I ride. I did switch to a 11-34 in the rear. I have ridden it hard for a season and have never needed to work the Laser Disc Trails wheels. My 09 came in at 26lbs stock for an XL. I have ridden all sorts from 26" hardtails to full suspension rides and I can't stop riding this bike above all. I was going to build up a Niner but for the money you can't beat this bike.

I am 6'-3" and 195 lbs by the way and the XL fits nicely.

Also $1250 is a deal I couldn't find mine for less than $1450 in the current model year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also $1250 is a deal I couldn't find mine for less than $1450 in the current model year.[/QUOTE]

Im gonna order it tomorrow no doubt. The bike shop near me does what they can for pricing they wont give anything away but the aren't hard-asses about prices so for around 1250 im gonna go for it.

thanks for your help everyone ill post some pics when i get her!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts