Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SS Addict
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is a hassle to convert an older LX hub ('98?) to a solid axle? It has stumped my LBS. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
czryan said:
Does anyone know if it is a hassle to convert an older LX hub ('98?) to a solid axle? It has stumped my LBS. Thanks!
You need to find a new shop. That's one of the easiest things they should be able to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
czryan said:
I just switched my deore hub to a solid axle this week and it is really simple. I found an axle at an LBS for $3 and just followed the directions at the park tool site. Just make sure you replace everything in the correct order.

I'm with SSMike on this one...if your LBS is stumped on something this easy I'd be a little worried.

Let me know if you need any more help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
10mm x 1

It's a simple 10mm diameter by 1 thread by millimeter axle. Almost every rear Shimano hub have this threading, just buy it a little longer, like 175mm instead of the 146ish standard hollow axle !

Jean-Sebastien

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Yep, find a new shop. That is lame. Deore, LX, XT, and most of their other hubs use a 10x1 metric axle in the rear. The only variable is getting one long enough for your particular frame and tugnut if you plan to use one.

·
SS Addict
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mucho thanks to all for the expertise and links! I had browsed some old threads and figured it should be simple. I am still waiting for the shop to call me. I had hoped to establish a relationship with this shop because I know the service manager has an SS rig. We'll see............................

·
Registered
2 Posts
czryan said:
Yeah, you most definately need a new LBS.

You'll need a solid M10x1 cro-mo axle about 174mm in length and two M10x1 nuts.

Wheels Manufacturing makes these parts, ask for them by name at an intelligent LBS.

·
SS Addict
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The LBS did figure it out and had it done by the next day - 10 x 1 x 174mm chromoly axle, for which they charged me ten bucks, plus 15 bucks for installation, which is OK.

Again, thanks for all the help. I will continue the quest for an LBS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts