Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Brought my 2008 HiFi Plus 29er in for a tune up and turns out the frame is cracked. I've been presented with a pretty sizable credit (about 80% of what I paid) from Trek towards a new bike since they can't simply swap the frame any longer. I absolutely loved the geometry of my ride, so my first inclination would be just do a Top Fuel 8 or 9.7 and move on. But I'm considering Fuel EX 7 and maybe ProCaliber 9.6 or maybe even the ProCaliber 8 in aluminum and just keep it simple.

It looks like for 2020 the Top Fuel gets a 120 fork and a dropper post, which blurs the lines on Fuel EX a bit so I'd love to hear what people think about that. Also would like to know what people think about the elastomer inserts on the hard tails. Do they make a difference? I'm nearing 50 and my kids don't let me get to the lake where I have good trail access nearly as much. If this is going to end up being a gravel bike maybe the hard tail makes sense? I'm in IL/WI for reference on the types of terrain this bike would see.

Anyway appreciate anyone's input and experiences on the topic.

Thanks,

EW

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
80% for 11year old bike? This gets added to the other MTBR posts on some great Trek warranty service, IMO.

Enjoy the new bike!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have to say I was pleased. The 80% was a result of me buying last years model at the time but still....Trek saw my receipt before making the offer and didn't have to go that high. Stand up move for sure.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
A 29er hard tail could be a good fit for your riding based on description. I haven't heard about inserts on hard tail frames, so no opinion.

Even on a 29er hard tail, I would splurge for a dropper post.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
If you are considering a hardtail then you have to check out the greatest hardtail ever, the Stache.
You will be totally amazed by this bike. It is so capable and so versatile.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.