Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a listing for an "almost brand new" Santa Cruz Hightower CC X01 2021 mountain bike, in size XL.

The bike is in excellent condition. It is free from dings or scratches.

I took delivery of the bike on 12 June 2021.

I have test ridden the bike ONE time, and it performed admirably.

After that, I did a light sponge-wash of the bike, took some pictures, and have returned it to storage.

The bike comes with:

1. Invisi-Frame, applied by Santa Cruz dealer before sale.
2. Pedals (DMR Vault Brendog, black).
3. Carbon water bottle holder (Lezyne Carbon Team Bottle, black).

The bike's tyres/wheels have been setup to run tubeless by the dealer.

I am selling due to realising that mountain biking is not for me.

I hope that my loss can be your gain for this very high quality mountain bike.

========================================================================
Bike Build/Specs:

The build/specs for this Santa Cruz Hightower CC X01 2021 build, in XL, are excellent in my opinion.

• Frame: Carbon CC. "Carbon CC" is the more expensive, and slightly lighter option when compared to Santa Cruz's "Carbon C" offering. Despite weighing less, "Carbon CC" frames are just as strong and stiff as "Carbon C" frames.
  • Wheelsize: 29"
  • Colour: Smoke Grey

• Front Fork: FOX 36 Float Factory, 150mm, 29"
  • Rear Shock: Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate
  • Rear Derailleur: SRAM X01 Eagle, 12spd
  • Shifters: SRAM X01 Eagle, 12spd
  • Crankset: SRAM X1 Eagle 148 DUB, 32t - 175mm (for XL)
  • Bottom Bracket: SRAM DUB
  • Cassette: SRAM XG1295 Eagle, 12spd, 10-52t
  • Chain: SRAM X01 Eagle, 12spd
  • Brakes: SRAM Code RSC
  • Rotors: Avid Centerline 180mm
  • Handlebar: Santa Cruz Bicycles Carbon Riser - 800mm
  • Stem: Burgtec Enduro MK3
  • Grips: Santa Cruz Palmdale
  • Headset: Hope 7/J Integrated Headset
  • Seatpost: KS LEV Integra (175mm) w/Southpaw Matchmaker (for XL)
  • Saddle: WTB Silverado Team
  • Front Tyre: Maxxis Minion DHR II 29"x2.4", 3C, MaxxGrip, EXO, TR
  • Rear Tyre: Maxxis Minion DHR II 29"x2.4", 3C, MaxxTerra, EXO, TR
  • Wheels:
    • Front Hub: Hope Pro4 110 (15x110mm axle size, 28hole)
      (Replacement for official website part: DT Swiss 350, 15x110, 28h. Replacement selected due to June 2021 parts shortage.)
    • Rear Hub: Hope Pro4 148 (12x148mm axle size, 28hole)
      (Replacement for official website part: DT Swiss 350, 12x148, XD, 28h. Replacement selected due to June 2021 parts shortage.)
    • Rims: RaceFace ARC Offset 30 29"
    • Spokes: Sapim Race
  • Sealant: Stan's Sealant

About The Santa Cruz Hightower Generally:

As mountain bikes go, the Santa Cruz Hightower is an excellent all-rounder.

It would be an excellent choice for a rider who is looking for "just one bike".

Key features (taken from official Santa Cruz product page):
  • A "does it all well" trail bike.
  • Excellent quality frame, in line with Santa Cruz standards. A design that balances stiffness with weight savings.
  • Lower-link mounted shock design, known as "VPP system". The VPP suspension’s lower-link-mounted shock creates a nearly linear leverage curve, meaning it absorbs bumps of all sizes.
  • Updated, adjustable geometry. This is achieved via a so-called "flip chip". In the High setting, the BB height -- the vertical distance from the ground to the centre of the bottom bracket -- is a little higher for those tricky tech trails and/or when Plus sized tires are required. In the Low position the shock rate is more progressive, to provide additional bottom-out resistance.
  • 145mm of rear travel; 150mm of front travel.
  • "Slack" 65-degree head tube angle.
  • Refined cable routing for better shifting performance, simpler installation, and no cable rub.
  • Tailgate shuttle guard, downtube protector, shock fender, and noise-canceling chainstay protector to keep things quiet.

Reviews:

The Santa Cruz Hightower CC X01 build is very well reviewed online.

It is regarded as an excellent all-rounder, and a good choice for riders looking for "just one bike".

For some example reviews, try Google-searching "Santa Cruz Hightower CC X01 review".

Here is what some reviews said:

MBR.co.uk: (Editor’s Choice 2020)

"Everything you could want from a trail bike."

"The Santa Cruz HighTower is easy to ride, easy to set up and easy on the eye. ... If you’re lucky enough to have 6.5K to drop on a new rig, the exceptional ride quality of the HighTower will definitely soften the blow. And given that it’s so versatile, you could probably convince yourself, or your partner, that you’re getting two bikes for the price of one."

"The new Hightower is alert, rewarding, inspiring and refined ... and it's almost impossible to find a ***** in its armour, whatever kind of terrain you put in front of it. ... It feels right from the very first pedal stroke, and encapsulates the versatility that defines every great trail bike."

Enduro-Mtb.com:

"The Santa Cruz Hightower is an excellent all-rounder and comes extremely close to being the perfect trail bike. It delivers a convincing performance both uphill and downhill with great handling and good suspension. The details on the frame are outstanding and the componentry is beyond any doubt."

BikeRadar.com:

"A seriously capable trail bike that’ll handle just about anything ... You’ll find enough comfort to soak up the hits without feeling disconnected. On descents it’s impressive, but it’s the Hightower’s all-rounder prowess and how easy it is to ride that really stand out, with it consistently proving itself, no matter what lay ahead of it."

WideOpenMountainBike.com:

"If you ride a variety of trails, from mellow to gnarly and only want one bike, then the Hightower should be top of the list if you can afford it. This dream build has been so much fun and so easy to live with for the last 6 months and it filled me with confidence every time I rode it."

GearHacker.com:

"Santa Cruz has created the perfect one quiver bike with the Hightower. With a suspension system that is capable of handling flowy trails to absolutely nightmarish choss piles, the Hightower will make it through. Every tester has been really impressed and surprised by the Hightower and its overall versatility. There really isn’t much more to say other than this bike will climb any mountain and ford any stream. It was easy to give the Hightower our selection as Best All-Around Long Travel Bike of 2021."

Pricing:

This bike, plus the Invisi-Frame, plus the pedals (DMR Vault Brendog, black), plus the carbon water-bottle holder (Lezyne Carbon Team Bottle, black) cost me ~£6865 new.

I am selling on here for £6000.

The reasons for my pricing are as follows:

1. Supply for these bikes is very limited, with wait times up to 6 months for a Hightower CC X01 build (I waited for 6 months to get my bike).
2. The 2022 version of the Hightower CC X01 build (without Invisiframe, without pedals, and without a carbon water-bottle holder) has went up in price, to ~£7300, with a spec list that is broadly similar to my bike. You are welcome to check on the official Santa Cruz website to confirm this.

Bottom line: if you want a Santa Cruz Hightower CC X01 2021 build, in size XL, right now, in excellent "nearly new" condition, with invisiframe already applied, with good quality pedals, with a good quality carbon water-bottle holder, and without a 6 month wait, this listing may be of interest to you.

Collection Only From Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland:

Sadly, I am not confident enough to pack and ship the bike across the UK.

So, the bike will have to be collected from my home.

Ideally, it would suit someone in the West Dunbartonshire (particularly Clydebank), Glasgow, or nearby areas (in Scotland) who is looking for a very nice example Santa Cruz Hightower CC X01 2021 in XL, with Invisiframe already done and some useful accessories already included, and without the very long waiting time that typically applies when getting-hold of one of these bikes.

Pictures:

Here are some pictures of the bike:

Conclusion and Questions:

Thank you very much for reading this long listing.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in contact with me.

Kind Regards,

David

1 - 1 of 1 Posts