Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
speculation on what's new in the pipeline? frames? specs or standards? Maybe a Smashtola? 138mm travel, 31.6 or 34.9 re-engineered seat post ? STEEL?
I have no idea what's going to happen, but here's what I'd like to see:
Another 27.5 offering that's in between a Megatrail and the Shred Dogg. There are three 29er offerings, and it would be nice to have something in between from the Great Plow Machine (Megatrail) to the DJ with full suspension (the Shred Dogg). I'd love to see something akin to the Transition Scout.

What realistically I expect:
- Revised geo from rider feedback

Pipe dreams:
- Bring back the steel Pedalhead
- Brick back the GG/DH (Revved version)

This will be my 4th year as a BAMF too, so it should be entertaining as always :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I logged in last week to hopefully finish my analysis paralysis and just buy the Smash but SOLD OUT! was what I saw :(

I have been curious about Knolly for quite a while but neither the Fugitive or Warden were totally swaying me, but they (re) came out with the Chilcotin last week which is a 160/151 29er so I went ahead and ordered one. The few reviews of recent Knolly bikes seem favorable and the small bit I was able to find that people seem to like them so we will see how it goes :)

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I logged in last week to hopefully finish my analysis paralysis and just buy the Smash but SOLD OUT! was what I saw :(

I have been curious about Knolly for quite a while but neither the Fugitive or Warden were totally swaying me, but they (re) came out with the Chilcotin last week which is a 160/151 29er so I went ahead and ordered one. The few reviews of recent Knolly bikes seem favorable and the small bit I was able to find that people seem to like them so we will see how it goes :)
The only 29er I'd consider other than a GG bike is the Druid.

I am totally high pivot curious, but I ain't ridden one so I'm holding judgment for now ...

I never liked how Knolly rode, N = 1, but they have a loyal following.

Heavy as a bag of bricks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@Ben
I am also high-pivot curious! I liked what I had read about the Druid as well as the Deviate Highlander but neither looks to be easy to get a hold of right now. I got two of my buddies on Gnarvanas and they seem pretty stoked on them, I am going to borrow one for a day soon. The thing that attracted me to the Knolly is the promise of a more active suspension, especially under braking but we will see.

Sorry, what do you mean by N=1? A sample size of one? I don't know what you consider "heavy" but my AL Megatrail is over 34lbs. on a bike scale and the only time I even think about it is lifting it onto my roof rack or when picking up a friend's more XC-oriented bike :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'd like to see new chainstays with a 10mm length adjustment chip, the long promised angle headset cups, and some sort of flip chip (not sure where it'd go) to drop BB height.

And a dedicated no compromises mullet setup (head angles, seat angles, and bottom bracket height in line with other models).

·
former lurker
40 Posts
I have no idea what's going to happen, but here's what I'd like to see:
Another 27.5 offering that's in between a Megatrail and the Shred Dogg. There are three 29er offerings, and it would be nice to have something in between from the Great Plow Machine (Megatrail) to the DJ with full suspension (the Shred Dogg). I'd love to see something akin to the Transition Scout.

What realistically I expect:
- Revised geo from rider feedback

Pipe dreams:
- Bring back the steel Pedalhead
- Brick back the GG/DH (Revved version)

This will be my 4th year as a BAMF too, so it should be entertaining as always :)
At the risk of further derailing this thread: to find those 'tweener travel brackets, one could short stroke a Megatrail (62.5-57.5 mm) or Smash (57.5mm), then maybe reduce fork travel, play with headset cups and/or throw in an offset bushing! Andeh has done a little of that with their short-stroked Gnarvana. (edit: I see that stripes is already active in that thread... my bad, the BAMFs know what's up!)

That said, I vow to change my ways & ride my GG more than I tinker with it in the coming year. I just re-joined the club with a size 3 order a couple weeks back. Ordered the Gnarvana but will start as a Pistola (build kit with 2nd hand stays ready to roll).

·
Registered
248 Posts

I am also very curious on moving over to Knolly, Forbidden, or Devinci. Since the Customer service I have had with GG has been subpar since I purchased my gnarvana. Have had an ongoing component compatibility issues since day one (June 28th) with no resolution as of yet (3 emails sent and no response). And now no response for a warranty claim for a busted rear hub that I submitted over a week ago.

side note the Chilcotin is available at 167 and 151.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I am also very curious on moving over to Knolly, Forbidden, or Devinci. Since the Customer service I have had with GG has been subpar since I purchased my gnarvana. Have had an ongoing component compatibility issues since day one (June 28th) with no resolution as of yet (3 emails sent and no response). And now no response for a warranty claim for a busted rear hub that I submitted over a week ago.
Can you provide details on the component compatibility issue please?

I do know that GG is in the middle of moving to a new facility, so response times may be a bit slow right now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Can you provide details on the component compatibility issue please?

I do know that GG is in the middle of moving to a new facility, so response times may be a bit slow right now.
The compatibility issue is with the crank, XTR M9120 and the frame it's self. when putting in anything above a medium effort on the pedals the crank will hit the chainstay on the drive side (does it even more significantly when turning to the right under load). I had 3 emails to them asking for just clarification about it. I have gotten no response back. first email was in august and the next was in mid september, and the final of the 3 was a few days after that. where the CS rep only addressed that the chainstay protector was worn down and that they would be revising the protector and using a new glue.. no mention of the under lying issue of the crank impacting the frame.

and I understand that they are moving but I have given them a week+ to respond with anything at all. I had emailed them on their main [email protected] before I sent the warranty form in (didn't realize that they had added that to the website when it sent the first email) and I got "we can get it underway in an expedited fashion for you."

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wow. Did you buy the frame only, or was it shipped from GG with the XTR M9120 crank?

The M9120 crank you have (I am assuming it is a single chain ring crank) has a Q factor of 168mm. The M9130 has a Q of 171mm. The XT crack M8120 has a Q of 178mm and the M8130 has a Q of 181mm. You have the narrowest crank available. The M9130 will buy you 1.5mm extra clearance, the M8120 will give you an extra 5mm and the M8130 will give and extra 6.5mm of clearance compared to your current crank. Narrow Q factor cranks can have clearance problems with chainstays. It sounds like you need to change to a wider Q factor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow. Did you buy the frame only, or was it shipped from GG with the XTR M9120 crank?

The M9120 crank you have (I am assuming it is a single chain ring crank) has a Q factor of 168mm. The M9130 has a Q of 171mm. The XT crack M8120 has a Q of 178mm and the M8130 has a Q of 181mm. You have the narrowest crank available. The M9130 will buy you 1.5mm extra clearance, the M8120 will give you an extra 5mm and the M8130 will give and extra 6.5mm of clearance compared to your current crank. Narrow Q factor cranks can have clearance problems with chainstays. It sounds like you need to change to a wider Q factor.
it was a complete build from GG (rally build with the upgrades to the shimano xt, fox 38 and x2).

And the Q-factor was what I was 90% sure was the issue when I looked into it my self (I asked GG that specific question if the Q-factor on the crank was just to narrow back on august 12th). but I wanted GG to give their official opinion, which I still have yet to received.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for sharing. GG is on my short list, but your story just knocked them down a few pegs. It’s a good sign that GG is having success to the point that they have to move, not such a great sign that they’re seemingly ignoring the customers who helped get them there.
For that kind of money I’d expect white glove service, or at least an email.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Thanks for sharing. GG is on my short list, but your story just knocked them down a few pegs. It’s a good sign that GG is having success to the point that they have to move, not such a great sign that they’re seemingly ignoring the customers who helped get them there.
For that kind of money I’d expect white glove service, or at least an email.
GG and every other mountain biking company is having an epic amount of success this year. This shows the cracks though: there are so many things broken in the supply chain right now it's not even funny. Good luck getting everything for a full build on time for any bike company. A friend of mine bought a Smash a couple of months ago--it's being held up by I9 wheels not being ready.

What do you define as "that kind of money?" No bike company gives anyone a white glove service, but GG does take care of their customers and their staff. And this doesn't excuse no response, so I'm stepping in where I can to let them know when people post on social media and getting everyone reconnected.

They are so spread thin it's not even funny. I'm trying to help out where I can to get folks reconnected with GG so they can get their questions answered, or help moving along a warranty. GG has always looked out for folks. If that changes, I will stop being a brand ambassador for them.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
GG and every other mountain biking company is having an epic amount of success this year. This shows the cracks though: there are so many things broken in the supply chain right now it's not even funny. Good luck getting everything for a full build on time for any bike company. A friend of mine bought a Smash a couple of months ago--it's being held up by I9 wheels not being ready.

What do you define as "that kind of money?" No bike company gives anyone a white glove service, but GG does take care of their customers and their staff. And this doesn't excuse no response, so I'm stepping in where I can to let them know when people post on social media and getting everyone reconnected.

They are so spread thin it's not even funny. I'm trying to help out where I can to get folks reconnected with GG so they can get their questions answered, or help moving along a warranty. GG has always looked out for folks. If that changes, I will stop being a brand ambassador for them.
Personally I think this is a poor excuse. I just built a new bike from a frame, the only thing backordered was an eagle chain and a 200mm centerline rotor which were both found online. Pretty much top of the line everything AXS, I9 wheels, Fox 38, Fox X2, Code RSC brakes, Next R cranks, etc.

Industry Nine wheels are in stock at a local distributor right now in all wheel sizes. It's next day free shipping to Colorado even... If they ordered custom spoked wheels during an industry shortage well that's their fault. You can't bad mouth a company because you selected components in short supply just like companies can't blame their supply chain when there are options out there. I do think it's the companies responsibility to inform the customer of delays though. "Hey those pink spokes are going to cost you 8 weeks of waiting, are you sure you don't want black? They would be here tomorrow". For companies like GG they could easily do this walking someone through a custom build with a 20 minute phone call, inventory changes every day so they would need someone keeping an eye out. As a consumer I do it all the time so I imagine getting paid to do it as a job wouldn't be a stretch. You could even pay someone to do it from their home and align bike builds with current inventory and customers. I realize that takes man hours but it gets bikes in peoples hands much quicker than the companies who only do set builds. Companies need to start thinking outside of the box in this climate.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
Personally I think this is a poor excuse. I just built a new bike from a frame, the only thing backordered was an eagle chain and a 200mm centerline rotor which were both found online. Pretty much top of the line everything AXS, I9 wheels, Fox 38, Fox X2, Code RSC brakes, Next R cranks, etc.

Industry Nine wheels are in stock at a local distributor right now in all wheel sizes. It's next day free shipping to Colorado even... If they ordered custom spoked wheels during an industry shortage well that's their fault. You can't bad mouth a company because you selected components in short supply just like companies can't blame their supply chain when there are options out there.
Good information, thanks! I get mixed impressions from various folks in the bike world (from a couple of different LBSs and GG), that supply chain is an issue like Shimano and SRAM chains are backordered for months, but others who say they have no problem getting parts.

I'm going to get in touch with my friend waiting on her wheels too. Good to hear I9 has gotten caught up.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Good information, thanks! I get mixed impressions from various folks in the bike world (from a couple of different LBSs and GG), that supply chain is an issue like Shimano and SRAM chains are backordered for months, but others who say they have no problem getting parts.

I'm going to get in touch with my friend waiting on her wheels too. Good to hear I9 has gotten caught up.
A lot of shops won't place orders until they are big enough to get free shipping. That's the shop being tight asses with $10. By the time they order, product is out of stock. You can set email and text alerts with a lot of distributors just like you can at JensonUSA or CC. That's just pure laziness. You can also look on a lot of the distributor sites yourself and see what's in stock (you just can't see prices). I've been lied to a lot by bike shops when speaking about inventory. I think a lot of it is laziness.

·
Registered
468 Posts

This has nothing to do with "supply Chain". They sold someone a complete bike with cranks that don't fit, and as of yet haven't responded to their customer after several attempts since August.

If GG is spread so thin they can't answer a customer's email that's on GG. They shouldn't have allowed sales to outpace their customer service capacity. I correspond with various bike companies on the reg and often hear back in minutes, sometimes from the owners themselves.

Personally If I spent whatever a GG with XTR costs and it didn't work, and no one at GG emailed me back I'd be pissed.

·
always licking the glass
2,367 Posts
This has nothing to do with "supply Chain". They sold someone a complete bike with cranks that don't fit, and as of yet haven't responded to their customer after several attempts since August.

If GG is spread so thin they can't answer a customer's email that's on GG. They shouldn't have allowed sales to outpace their customer service capacity. I correspond with various bike companies on the reg and often hear back in minutes, sometimes from the owners themselves.

Personally If I spent whatever a GG with XTR costs and it didn't work, and no one at GG emailed me back I'd be pissed.
Yeah, I would be too if no one responded. And I've run into that myself that in the past (other places) I've had to be really annoying to get someone's attention, and I shouldn't have to. So I get it, which is why I offered to help out.

I used to do this to help out people, instead I feel like I'm getting attacked. I'd rather ride than try to help out on either end at this point, since people are so torqued up no matter what anyway.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yeah, I would be too if no one responded. And I've run into that myself that in the past (other places) I've had to be really annoying to get someone's attention, and I shouldn't have to. So I get it, which is why I offered to help out.

I used to do this to help out people, instead I feel like I'm getting attacked. I'd rather ride than try to help out on either end at this point, since people are so torqued up no matter what anyway.
Attacked? By whom?
No one is attacking anybody. Just because we disagree with your assessment of the situation doesn't mean you're being attacked. Hell, I'm not even attacking GG, their bikes look awesome, just poor customer service would make me less likely to buy one.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I sure would have sent more than 3 emails to the company between June and December if my crank was making physical contact with the stay, rather than online forum posts 5 months later. If I don't get a response from any company within a reasonable amount of time, I start making phone calls and follow-up emails. It's easy for stuff to slip through the cracks.

I recently filled out a warranty request on a WTB carbon saddle that failed - the website ate my submission and I didn't hear anything after a week, so I called and checked in by email and actually got their eyes on my issue, I had a new saddle on my door in 2 days.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts