Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
161 - 180 of 1285 Posts

· Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,556 Posts
Do these plugs on these lamps work with the Magic Shine batteries?
Looks like it, but wanted to know before pulling the trigger on one.Edit found my answer by actually reading the thread.
They do fit, but MagicShine doesn't use the screw lock design that SolarStorm is using so the connectors will not lock together in quite the same way. Depending on the particular MagicShine connector you may be able to push them together such that the o-ring holds them pretty tight.

Audio equipment Product Wood Technology Electronic device
Wood Product Audio equipment Cable Technology
Wood Product Hardwood Technology Cable

· Registered
518 Posts
Wow, with some of these light head only options to be in the mid $30 to low $40, anyone with a bit of DIY skills can mod them with better drivers, etc and have a very bright light for under $100.

Hmmmmm....

· Registered
6,545 Posts
They do fit, but MagicShine doesn't use the screw lock design that SolarStorm is using so the connectors will not lock together in quite the same way. Depending on the particular MagicShine connector you may be able to push them together such that the o-ring holds them pretty tight.

View attachment 830449
Yes, the connectors do work with the MS type connectors. I tried pushing the screw sleeve over the MS female connector ( non-threaded ) and found that it actually holds the connection very well.

@pucked up: Yeah the DIY'ers will love these lamps but don't assume they are not good enough to use right out of the box. If you want a better product you might consider buying a Gloworm X2....and speaking of Gloworm, rumor is Gloworm will be releasing their new stuff pretty soon.

· Registered
132 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts

· Registered
6,545 Posts
Solarstorm X2 ; Helmet test

Tonight I took a Trail ( mountain bike ) ride with the SS X2 on the helmet. As usually my Gloworm X2 was on the bars but this time running the brighter "Trail Programme".

First thing I noticed was that my Gloworm ( on the bars ) had much better output than last night while the Solarstorm X2 was working real well on the helmet. Definitely the SS X2 has more throw vs. the GW X2. Not by much but still better. As such it makes a decent helmet lamp and better than the GW when used on the helmet.

It's quite amazing how well the beam pattern spreads out with the SS. Regardless I got a chance to put it to the test and found that it could illuminate very well in the 200ft. range. *When comparing both the GW and the SS in the 200 ft. range both worked very well but the SS with it's more focused beam was noticeably brighter at distance.
( *note: I should mention that my GW X2 on my mountain bike is set-up with one spot/one standard/medium optic. As such the GW was not only bright but had a superior beam pattern when used on the bars. )

With both lamps going at the same time I had an absolutely perfect amount of light. Even with both lamps on low I could see great. The Solarstorm continues to impress me with it's bright LOW MODE. Even in LOW it has considerable reach.

Toward the end of my ride tonight I rode a short section of straight gravel road that I used to do beam shots on. I stopped at the usual spot and took my helmet off. There I did some quick comparisons by holding the helmet at bar level. Very impressive how well the Solarstorm X2 lights things up at that 200 ft range. This surprises me because the light at that range is quite dispersed. Even so I could still see very well. The only other lamp I own that can beat it for intensity is the Xeccon X-12 but the X-12 has a much more confined and narrow beam pattern. As such it is not as useful when dealing with trails that are twisty, have shorter lines of sight and offer more dangerous trail features . On trails like those a helmet lamp with wider beam pattern is preferable. ( IMO )

Has anyone seen this?
SolarStorm X3 3 x Cree XM-L T6 2000lm 4-Mode White Bike Light - Deep Pink (4 x 18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I don't know how the third led in the middle will perform in comparison with the other two because the reflector seems to be a little wider. I'm thinking about buying the SSX2 but I need a light for trailriding and I'm reading all about throw that this light has, although I prefer more floody beam like the P7 I have right now...
yes, those triples have been talked about. I hope to be able to get one to review. The original link that I used listed the lamp as using a 6A driver. The one on the link that you provided is only listing 3A.

I think the SS X2 would make a good bar lamp. If you think you want more side spill you might consider one of the D99 clones that use optics. Optics generally supply a wider more dispersed beam pattern. They are also available in XM-L U2 and XM-L2 so they should be almost as good as the Solarstorm's ( as long as they are not under-driven ). Either way, these duel XM-L lamps will beat the pants off a single P-7 lamp with flood lens. :yesnod:

The Solarstorm triple listing a 6A driver should have a fantastic output. As far as I know no one has one yet but if I get one I want the 6A version. Be careful ordering from D/X as they offer different versions of the same lamp. Read the product descriptions carefully.

· Registered
205 Posts
I bought the SSX2 from Manafont and the output is seemingly impressive, only tried it quickly last week & haven't compared it to my other lights, but the battery as per Kir earlier posts is only good for around 40mins on high. Little lost as to whether I can complain to Manafont, as the advert doesn't include any spec on the battery or runtimes (yes I knew it would probably be poor quality) or if it's even worth returning. I'm tempted to take the plastic cover off to see if it was assembled correctly, as it's charge time is only around 2-3hrs (I've tested it 3 times to confirm), but obviously I can't return it, if I do that. Any thoughts?

I am tempted to try the Ali case and swap the battery connector, as I like the screw up connector. Saying that I have an old MS plastic battery case I may take to pieces first and see how difficult it would be to replace the batteries with better ones.

Anyone got any runtimes for a 4400 battery pack? As I am considering buying a high capacity battery pack, if you can't get 2 hrs on full from the 'std' one

· Registered
13 Posts
I've Just ordered one of these Solarstorm X3 with XM-L U2 LEDs yesterday.
It comes with a 8,4V 6400mAh battery pack.

It will probably arrive in about 2-4 weeks i guess.
If everything is in order, i will be glad to post some photos of the beam, finish, output, etc..
Unfortunately i don't have the right equipment to measure voltage, lumen output, amps and so on, to make a serious test of the bike light.

· Registered
6,545 Posts
...Anyone got any runtimes for a 4400 battery pack? As I am considering buying a high capacity battery pack, if you can't get 2 hrs on full from the 'std' one
I was using my Xeccon 4400 pack last night while using the SS X2. I basically did a two hour ride but wasn't using the high mode too much because I wasn't sure if the battery was fully charged. Anyway when I got back to the car only one of the battery indicators had gone out ( out of three )

I'm preparing a test for the supplied Manafont battery as I write. If you only got 40 minutes that is not promising. It should of at least gotten somewhere around 1.25 hr on high, even with a crap battery. I'm a little worried because yesterday I charged the battery and just now I plugged it back in and the indicator shows that it's charging again. Not a good sign. ...okay...it stopped charging ( just a couple minutes ). I suppose it must of self-balanced last night and needed a small top off charge.

· Registered
6,545 Posts
Update from my last post: @ z1ppy, mine ran 57 minutes before the first indicator went out. That's a good sign. Judging from that I should get close to 2hrs but we'll see. Time to get ready for work.

*edit...Shut off at 1hr and 35 minutes. After that first light went out it dropped out real quick. Not much spacing with the indicators.

· Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
1,556 Posts
Knowing the quality we've come to expect from these lights, its likely you've got a bad connection or maybe a broken wire after taking it apart. I would start by putting the original batteries back in and see if it works. A multi-meter is going to be your friend in tracking down the problem.

161 - 180 of 1285 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.