Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could you be able to bike, and jump at whistler with a 06` iron horse sohon bucho
its meant for DH but I said screw it and went with it

so I was wondering if you can go of drops and jumps with this bike
is it capable, will it break, is it only good for DHing

can it withstand north star CA, Mammoth, or whistler???:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 things

well, i'm 12 and sotta a newbie, i'm probably not going to go of any big drops or stuff like that

but i'm worried about the rear shock, even when i just ride around, the rear shock is very soft and bobbly, I don't have enough money to buy a new shock!

thanx

·
When in doubt, go faster
2,122 Posts
No. Call them up, tell them that you need a heavier spring for your shock, then tell them your weight and height and stuff. PM dante or ska_todd if you need more help, there the nerds for IH.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
=ChrisB= said:
No. Call them up, tell them that you need a heavier spring for your shock, then tell them your weight and height and stuff. PM dante or ska_todd if you need more help, there the nerds for IH.
:madmax:

:p

Ok, here's the scoop. the rear shock is DEFINITELY up to whistler, as there's really not a whole lot going on inside of it to go wrong. don't forget, you're going through 8" of travel, so even if it feels like you're sinking in a good 3-4" in the parking lot, you're still only 50% of the way through its travel. if you're bottoming out the rear shock, give it a couple (2-3 max) turns of preload. if you're *still* bottoming it out, call us up and we'll get you a stiffer spring. bottoming out is when you're going through the travel and it stops SUDDENLY.

as an FYI, there were several of our racers who raced that exact frame on the NORBA and World Cup circuits (ok, they raced the North American world cups but still) and were quite happy with it! The parts were different, but the frame was the exact same.

:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool!

thanks man, :confused: ahh... welll the problem is that even when i go off a curb i usually bottom out my suspension, i tried to tighten the spring,didn't work,tried to tighten and losen the rebound, didn't work. So i think my best bet is to get a heavier shock. whats the phone number i need to call
thanx!

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
that's Heiki Hall, and rides for e.13 components. that frame is a great frame, ripped it some this summer when the Sunday was out for repair. would definitely be happy riding it if I wasn't on a sunday.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
thelstdragn, how much do you weigh? springs can be gotten from Answer, but unless you're like 250+ lbs I doubt you're bottoming it riding off of a curb.

here's how you determine spring weight: sit on bike on level ground, with your hands on the handlebars and your feet on the pedals (you'll need someone to hold the bike upright). then you measure the distance from the center of one shock bolt to the center of the other shock bolt. this is your sag. now its time for some math. since the bike comes with a 9 x 2.75 shock, that means that the shock (when you're not sitting on it) measures 9" from one eyelet to the other, and the stroke of the shock is 2.75" (that's the shaft travel). So since you should have it set up at 33% sag, you should sag it down about .9" (1/3 of 2.75"), so the eye to eye should be 8.1" when you're sitting on the bike. If it's less than 8.1" (you're sagging it too much), then you need to go to a heavier spring. If it's greater than 8.1" the spring is too heavy and you need to go to a lighter spring.

how much do you weigh? also, can the shop help you out with setting it up correctly, and verify that you are actually bottoming it out?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.