Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Marzocchi MX w/ ETA (105mm) for my girlfriend. The fork is way too stiff for her so she's either gonna have to put on 50 lbs or I'll need to purchase a softer coil. She weighs 120 so I'm guessing she'll need the softest spring (yellow ???). I've searched the mtbr archives and online and can't find any info on purchasing a spring kit for the MX w/ ETA. Since there's only one coil in the fork can I find a single coil for sale somewhere? LBS is 40 miles so I'd rather buy online if possible.

thanks,
Kris

·
Registered
557 Posts
wvboy said:
Just purchased a Marzocchi MX w/ ETA (105mm) for my girlfriend. The fork is way too stiff for her so she's either gonna have to put on 50 lbs or I'll need to purchase a softer coil. She weighs 120 so I'm guessing she'll need the softest spring (yellow ???). I've searched the mtbr archives and online and can't find any info on purchasing a spring kit for the MX w/ ETA. Since there's only one coil in the fork can I find a single coil for sale somewhere? LBS is 40 miles so I'd rather buy online if possible.

thanks,
Kris
It's too stiff even with no air in the right leg?

Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian Peterson said:
It's too stiff even with no air in the right leg?

Brian
I had about 25 psi in the right leg (manual says 30-40 for her weight). I didn't know if you could run the fork with 0 positive air pressure, but I'll have her try it that way. Thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
wvboy said:
I had about 25 psi in the right leg (manual says 30-40 for her weight). I didn't know if you could run the fork with 0 positive air pressure, but I'll have her try it that way. Thanks.
Yeah.. I am not sure where some of the pressure settings come from... But, with Tom over here at Marz USA getting more involved with the manuals, the info should be geting better.

I would suggest starting at 10psi for her and then work from there. The spring in the ETA leg is pretty stiff to allow the fork to work for more riders, but from my experience, the rider has to be a little kid before you have to worry about changing the spring to a softer one.

Brian

·
Registered
224 Posts
wvboy said:
There is a big difference in feel between 25 psi and 0 psi. Definitely give it a try. And yes it is fine to run it at 0 psi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Much Better!!!

I dropped the pressure in the right leg to 2-3 psi and all is well. Good sag and the shock seems to perform well at her weight. Interestingly, the '05 manual made no distinction between air forks and coil/air with regard to positive pressure ranges. After looking at an '04 manual I found a pressure range of 0 - 15 psi for forks with AIR/COIL. The positive pressure range of 30-40 psi (which I thought applied to her MX w ETA) is for AIR forks only; according to the '04 manual. Anyway, great fork!!

thanks for the replies!
kris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.