Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to buy a soft tail but an experienced bike shop owner I was talking with said all three softtails that he's owned were prone to chainsuck, moreso than either hardtails or full suspension bikes. I'd be interested in some other experiences/opinions before I decide for sure. Thanks in advance! Steve

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Not a problem for the last 10 years for my Moots YBB. Which softtails did the shop owner have trouble with?
A Seven, a Salsa and one other that I can't recall now. Sounds like it wasn't the soft tail design specifically that was causing his trouble, from all the responses here...

·
Advanced Slacker
15,583 Posts
SteveF said:
Hi, I want to buy a soft tail but an experienced bike shop owner I was talking with said all three softtails that he's owned were prone to chainsuck, moreso than either hardtails or full suspension bikes.
Add this to the Most stupid thing you've heard from someone behind the counter? thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=132035

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Full suspension bikes like the Scalpel aren't the question, apparently just softtails are.
The Scalpel is a softtail.

Sounds to me like this "experienced" shop owner was trying to lead you toward buying something that'd make a little extra profit for the shop.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Scalpel is a softail, uses a leave spring design, rear stays are made of carbon fibre.
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Full suspension bikes like the Scalpel aren't the question, apparently just softtails are.
To the OP, I believe that the statement from that shop indicates one thing - they don't know what they're doing and as such have experienced chain suck with softtails because they don't know how to set them up.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
noodletips said:
Soft tail = rear suspension? (I guess so)

Over 7K miles on my Epic and no chain suck.

jeff
It's a pivotless rear suspension design that utilizes flex in the chainstays, usually has a shock incorporated into the seat stays, and usually has only 1-2 inches of travel. See some of the links folks have put in this thread for examples...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies, all. The shop fellow was sincere and speaking from his experiences, I think--no reason for ulterior motives to be involved. I think it must've been something about his preferred setup rather than a problem inherent in the softtail design. Glad to hear it 'cause I've ordered a Curtlo! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.