Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yes and no.........

Yes, you claimed it, no, we aren't going to give it to you.... :D

Before we even get to see the thing, get pics, build it up and play with it, you've already got your grubby paws on it. I KNEW I should have ordered the first one in small. You made me go out and order a pearl white one, just to spite you and the raw one that you will have. Should be here in a few weeks. :thumbsup: Then you will have a dilema.... :madman:

Can't wait to build up the Socom and see whats under that hood.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Bastage

You got a pearl white coming too? :madman: I always knew you were that way, and gimme my Code brakes -- I know you got 'em!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yes and no...

Lets put this into proper context. We first heard about the Socom late spring, early summer, so we IMMEDIATELY jumped on the horn to Intense to stand in line. Luckily enough, we got in line early enough, we were guaaaraaanteeed to have one in the fall. We prepare for this glorious event by buying some sweeeeet stuff to put on it, so it can be drooled over all fall and winter, and then probably be ridden by me next spring/summer. A bike this nice you just don't "sell", you find it a nice loving home... :D

Last week, 3 days before it was to arrive, you come bobbing in and ask, "Hey, how long would it be before I can get a Socom...?"

Being an honest guy, I had to tell you the truth.... "3 months... :thumbsup: " Just kidding, "How about 3 days?" So now we/I have to grovel to get another one here for the big build up, and you get to show off your new toy. Luckily for you, your adoption paperwork, financial statement, prospective build worksheet, and 42 page questionaire was passed by our selection committee, and you were able to take it home. Glad you like it, and by the way, I put some special items on order for it recently that you can have first dibs on as well.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah well ....

I thought the urine sample was taking things a little too far.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sweet

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures. I got the frame from Boutique Bikes last Tuesday but my schedule was full all week. It was a last minute blitz to get the bike ready for a Saturday ride at Highland Mtn bike park (a GREAT new place near Concord, NH). Headset problems forced me to use a 66SL rather than the Travis planned for the bike and the crankset I wanted to install wasn't here yet so I used the parts on hand. I did get the Code brakes installed and the X.9 rear der. These pics are from 10 pm Friday night -- forgive the garage door, it was dark outside.

How did it ride? Wow, I love my VPX and it's monster truck attitude but this was a different animal. For the record; my Uzzi is a large and this Socom a med but I don't think that really made the difference. I had a 180 Travis on the VPX and I was forced to use a 66SL on the Socom so the head angles were a little different. The Travis 180 AC measures about 570mm and the 66SL (170mm) is about 563mm. (by my tape) Therefore the Socom was running with a little steeper head angle than optimum for DH and it had a little less travel in the front than in the rear.

It had rained all the previous week in the northeast so there were significant traction issues on some of the single track, although the mountain had drained very well. On the first run I found that the Socom disappeared under me. It has a light feel to the ride, belying the fact that the rear suspension can soak up anything. I spent some time today thinking about the VPX ride compared to the Socom ride and there is no doubt that they are both VERY capable rough country machines. I guess the only thing I can say about the Socom vs VPX ride is that the Socom rides "light" and the VPX tends to bull it's way down the trail. Not a criticism as they are similar in capabilities. Obviously the VPX is built tough for the freerider and can handle DH runs with ease. Along with these capabilities the VPX can do XC as well. The Socom doesn't really fit in that catagory. The Socom is really a dedicated DH rig, with a weight advantage. It has no FD cable stop so forget about the dual ring setup.There are tabs on the BB and the rear travel is deeper than the VPX. This makes it more suitable for the serious DH'er and makes it a great bike for the recreational DH'er as well. The Socom was flickable and plush and I can't wait to try it with the 203 Travis triple Ti.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
mtnbikerx said:
Sorry for the delay in posting pictures. I got the frame from Boutique Bikes last Tuesday but my schedule was full all week. It was a last minute blitz to get the bike ready for a Saturday ride at Highland Mtn bike park (a GREAT new place near Concord, NH). Headset problems forced me to use a 66SL rather than the Travis planned for the bike and the crankset I wanted to install wasn't here yet so I used the parts on hand. I did get the Code brakes installed and the X.O rear der. These pics are from 10 pm Friday night -- forgive the garage door, it was dark outside.

How did it ride? Wow, I love my VPX and it's monster truck attitude but this was a different animal. For the record; my Uzzi is a large and this Socom a med but I don't think that really made the difference. I had a 180 Travis on the VPX and I was forced to use a 66SL on the Socom so the head angles were a little different. The Travis 180 AC measures about 570mm and the 66SL (170mm) is about 563mm. (by my tape) Therefore the Socom was running with a little steeper head angle than optimum for DH and it had a little less travel in the front than in the rear.

It had rained all the previous week in the northeast so there were significant traction issues on some of the single track, although the mountain had drained very well. On the first run I found that the Socom disappeared under me. It has a light feel to the ride, belying the fact that the rear suspension can soak up anything. I spent some time today thinking about the VPX ride compared to the Socom ride and there is no doubt that they are both VERY capable rough country machines. I guess the only thing I can say about the Socom vs VPX ride is that the Socom rides "light" and the VPX tends to bull it's way down the trail. Not a criticism as they are similar in capabilities. Obviously the VPX is built tough for the freerider and can handle DH runs with ease. Along with these capabilities the VPX can do XC as well. The Socom doesn't really fit in that catagory. The Socom is really a dedicated DH rig, with a weight advantage. It has no FD cable stop so forget about the dual ring setup.There are tabs on the BB and the rear travel is deeper than the VPX. This makes it more suitable for the serious DH'er and makes it a great bike for the recreational DH'er as well. The Socom was flickable and plush and I can't wait to try it with the 203 Travis triple Ti.
Sweet bike! How did you like the Revox? Is this one of the thing that make the difference to the VPX?

BTW: are you keeping the VPX?

1 - 20 of 519 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.