Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MTBR,

I am looking for a recommendation on socks. I've been wearing out my beloved high crew socks from Head that I got in a 6 pair pack, and it's time for some new socks. I'm looking for a mid-calf to full height THIN sock, i.e. no cushioning. I've checked out Darn Tough, Defeet, and Sock guy, but I'm reluctant to spend $20/pair of socks plus shipping when I can't check them out or try them on for feel.

Also, $20/pair sounds like a lot of money considering this $15 6-pair pack got me through 10 years of riding. However, I'm willing to pay for quality if needed.

So, what socks do you guys like and recommend? Thanks!

-DS

·
All fat, all the time.
11,120 Posts
Socks...
Ask Picard, DJ, or Finch, they should have some good input.

;) Kidding.

My in laws like to buy me"funny"socks for Xmas. They usually get the sock guy brand. They are comfy, but I tend to get holes in the toes often .

I've had good luck with NLZwear in the past, they are cheap but comfy. When they were on sale under$2/each.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I pretty much only wear Darn Tough socks. Really comfortable and durable.

When they do finally get a hole, I send them back and they issue a credit for a brand new pair.

I just sent 5 pairs back a few weeks ago (I wait till I have several pair to return) and had my credit a few days later.

They are awesome and worth every dime.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Got my first pair of Smartwool recently, very pleased so far. Feet stay much drier than the generic athletic socks I wore before. Can't comment on longevity yet, but I'll be buying more once my shoulder heals and I'm back on the bike.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Yup, like to support domestic manufacturing and like Darn Tough. Also have Sock Guy, as others noted, they get puka toe the fastest for me. I also have a coupke Defeets, one is a Mavic logo one i won in a trials contest, holy cow that was more than 20 years ago! I guess i dont use them too much, although i like them, meshy and really breathable.
Oh have some smartwools too, comfy but they seem to wear fast too.

·
Demon Cleaner
796 Posts
Lots of good recommendations here, but I'll throw something different in. I started wearing relatively inexpensive (Amazon) knee-high light-compression socks. These give my legs full coverage (shoes, socks, knee pads, shorts) which has eliminated poison oak and kept my shins happier. Also keeps the sun off. The ones I like tend to buy are cheaper which also means thinner and with better ventilation. Wierd probably, but has worked well for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lots of good recommendations here, but I'll throw something different in. I started wearing relatively inexpensive (Amazon) knee-high light-compression socks. These give my legs full coverage (shoes, socks, knee pads, shorts) which has eliminated poison oak and kept my shins happier. Also keeps the sun off. The ones I like tend to buy are cheaper which also means thinner and with better ventilation. Wierd probably, but has worked well for me.
Agreed. I just go to Dick's sporting goods and buy whatever bulk pack of socks is on sale. My last set is under armour. My typical ride is an 1 1/2 hours and 10 - 15 miles (usually closer to 10) in dry weather only.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have socks from Smartwool, REI, Wigwam/Ultimax, Darn Tough, etc., but my favorites and what I wear maybe 90% of the time are the 6 pair packs of adidas (quarter style for me). I only get them when they are on sale or have a coupon code, and have paid between $7 and $14 for the 6 pairs. They are made in the USA, and as comfortable as any for me. Yeah, they wear out, but at $1 to $2 per pair, who cares? I only need to get another 6 pairs about once a year.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
I just purchased 7 pairs of Stance socks. I really like how they fit and feel and the lifetime warranty on them are unequalled. At $14.99 a pair, they are not over priced either when compared to other brands. I just happened upon a Stance store( in the mall in Scottsdale AZ.) where you can try them on and shop lots of styles.
I've used in the past just about every brand including Defeet, Sockguy, Fox, Giro etc.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I just purchased 7 pairs of Stance socks. I really like how they fit and feel and the lifetime warranty on them are unequalled. At $14.99 a pair, they are not over priced either when compared to other brands. I just happened upon a Stance store( in the mall in Scottsdale AZ.) where you can try them on and shop lots of styles.
I've used in the past just about every brand including Defeet, Sockguy, Fox, Giro etc.
I don't think these guys would agree with you:

Socks Guaranteed for Life - Our Lifetime Warranty | Darn Tough

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Stance is great though honestly I've not used their socks for biking.
But if you know which styles you like their socks are really good and I literally won't wear any other kind of boxer....though again there are particular styles of theirs that I strongly prefer over others of theirs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts