Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to keep these stories of people getting killed on their bikes away from my wife. She'd never let me commute to work...

Ex-Social Distortion Bassist Dies Tragically
AP
PLACENTIA, Calif. (Jan. 24) - Brent Liles, a former bassist for the 1980s punk rock group Social Distortion, was struck and killed by a truck while riding a bicycle, authorities said Wednesday. He was 43.

Liles was hit on Jan. 18. No immediate charges were brought against the driver.

Liles, who was from Fullerton, joined Social Distortion in 1981 and played bass on the band's "Mommy's Little Monster" recording two years later.

Fed up with turmoil inside the group, he and drummer Derek O'Brien quit the band during a New Year's Eve performance in 1983.

Liles went on to play with other punk groups such as Agent Orange.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I wonder if MIke Ness is gonna make some kind of statement about this. What a shocker, I've been listening and going to see them since the late 80's. A better band there never was.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
The Rose said:
I wonder if MIke Ness is gonna make some kind of statement about this. What a shocker, I've been listening and going to see them since the late 80's. A better band there never was.
yeah, there's just a very quick remark on the band website and something on their myspace too.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Crusty Oldman said:
Very sad. My sympathies go to his family, his friends, and his fans.

This was apparently not a mountain biking accident. I'll save further comments for another time.
one of the articles referred to a "dirt bicycle" ????

·
2,548 Posts
bummer....this is news to me....I liked Social D's stuff. Hate to hear of cyclists being killed in accidents (commuting 5 days per week, here...wife is "uneasy" with it, to say the least.) Dammm....bummer :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Social D

I am from the OC so Social D is kiind of special to us here. I heard that he got hit by a truck driver making a right onto a freeway on ramp. Those trucks sit so high that times it can be so hard to see things below you. Most of the time when I hear about bike deaths its hardworking guys leaving their second job at 2:00AM, sad. :madman:

Smetimes I think that band is somewhat cursed because former band member Dennis Dannell died like eight years ago from a brain anuyusm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.