Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
USA v Ghana in the Soccer World Cup (9:55am ET today)...

...it's time for the men of the red, white, and blue to put up or shut up! Hope yer catching a bit of the passion this morning and supporting your team (or whichever country you hail from!!!).

Any fellow soccer fans out there? Don't know about the rest of y'all, but after MTBing, soccer is one of my favorite sports to be involved in...playin' it, coachin' it, watchin' it, however you get involved it's a great sport!

Go team go!!! :band:

(Now if those pesky Italians could just take care of the Czech Republic !)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tootsjofus said:
Who cares? Soccer blows.
Spoken like a red-blooded American! Nice dude :thumbsup: , try to spread a bit of team spirit and get slammed by some yahoo with his head in the sand!

A bit of advice, you don't like the game...fine, just keep your trap shut and let the rest of us that do like it enjoy a bit of comraderie.

Ride (and kick) on! ;)
 

·
Yummy
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
tootsjofus said:
Who cares? Soccer blows.
And yet, somehow it's the most popular team sport in the world? Looks like your opinion is in the minority!

Kn.
 

·
since 4/10/2009
Joined
·
35,300 Posts
Not looking good for team USA today. Ghana is up 2-1 and our captain (Claudio Reyna) left the game early with a knee injury. If it wasn't for a questionable call that resulted in a Ghana penalty kick, it'd probably still be tied. There has been a lot of questionable fouls called in this tournament and WAY too many cards. FIFA and their new rules have really screwed up the flow of the games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
NateHawk said:
Not looking good for team USA today. Ghana is up 2-1 and our captain (Claudio Reyna) left the game early with a knee injury. If it wasn't for a questionable call that resulted in a Ghana penalty kick, it'd probably still be tied. There has been a lot of questionable fouls called in this tournament and WAY too many cards. FIFA and their new rules have really screwed up the flow of the games.
The last game the USA had had 2 very bad calls. Even the announcers were saying that that game should be the ref's last one!

Hope they can pull it out today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/QUOTE]If it wasn't for a questionable call that resulted in a Ghana penalty kick, it'd probably still be tied. There has been a lot of questionable fouls called in this tournament and WAY too many cards. FIFA and their new rules have really screwed up the flow of the games.[/QUOTE]

brianthebiker said:
The last game the USA had had 2 very bad calls. Even the announcers were saying that that game should be the ref's last one!

Hope they can pull it out today.
Word!

It's just sad that the games had to be so influenced by terrible refereeing. Bad calls in both games at critical times. Ultimately the US team needed to play much more actively so that regardless of what happened with officiating the refs wouldn't be a factor.

Well, 4 more years to build!
 

·
The Weatherman
Joined
·
304 Posts
It was a pretty fun match to watch. Didn't care one way or another who won. The announcers irritated the hell out of me though. I hate it when sports commentators turn all fanboy during a game. Just call the damn game and don't interject your own hopes/aspirations into the mix. Wish I could have gotten a satellite feed from another country, because all the hang-wringing by the commentators was over the top (in my opinion).

As far as the questionable calls go? Sure, there have been iffy calls. But that's sports. Bad calls by referees don't make or break a game. Players do. Blaming the referees for a loss is a cop out. USA soccer was outplayed by the Czech's, they outplayed the Italians, and they were outplayed by Ghana. They didn't deserve to advance. Maybe next time.

Good game though. I am happy for Ghana.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pawndream said:
As far as the questionable calls go? Sure, there have been iffy calls. But that's sports. Bad calls by referees don't make or break a game. Players do. Blaming the referees for a loss is a cop out. USA soccer was outplayed by the Czech's, they outplayed the Italians, and they were outplayed by Ghana. They didn't deserve to advance. Maybe next time.

Good game though. I am happy for Ghana.
Generally agreed, when all is said and done the US team just didn't get the job done and they're still in a different league than the Italians and Czechs. They can only blame themselves for not advancing and we can only hope that the next 4 years will bring some fresh coaching and further international experience for the players.

However, when the dust settles, I would put good money on the fact that the ref in the Italy match will never ref another World Cup match. Not to say that it's an excuse for the US's terrible play in the Czech game or mediocre play today, just to say that bad refing does impact the game and something needs to be done to let the players play.
 

·
Preemptive Revenger
Joined
·
867 Posts
Sevadari said:
Generally agreed, when all is said and done the US team just didn't get the job done and they're still in a different league than the Italians and Czechs. They can only blame themselves for not advancing and we can only hope that the next 4 years will bring some fresh coaching and further international experience for the players.

However, when the dust settles, I would put good money on the fact that the ref in the Italy match will never ref another World Cup match. Not to say that it's an excuse for the US's terrible play in the Czech game or mediocre play today, just to say that bad refing does impact the game and something needs to be done to let the players play.
I agree with the other posters - the US was by any and all measures the worst of the 4 teams in their group; they did not deserve to advance.

As far as the poor officiating in US vs Italy: I thought that all of the calls were perfect, only that the refereee was a bit too aggressive in handing out cards. However, FIFA has said that they stand by the referee's calls, that all the cards were appropriate.

Biking content: I thoroughly enjoy biking, but it is the most boring spectator sport in the world...it makes soccer seem like a porno movie.
 

·
Seriously ?
Joined
·
227 Posts
Sevadari said:
USA v Ghana in the Soccer World Cup (9:55am ET today)...

Any fellow soccer fans out there?
I am.

But I´m rooting for Brazil :D

Everything stops here due to the Cup (even some schools). Now that sucks.

Gui
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zen_Turtle said:
... not to mention that the "pesky Italians" did take goood care of Czech Republic
Love this 3 colors:
:p :yikes: :cool:
:p :yikes: :cool:
:p :yikes: :cool:
Forza Italia!
Glad you took that in good humor, since that's the way it was intended;) !

Italy really stepped up to the plate, got to hand it to them! Now the US team, that's a whole other story :madman: !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Hopefully some day we'll be able to really compete with the rest of the world. We seem to lack creativity in the offensive end. All we ever try to do is knock it into the box from the wing and try to get a head on it. Way too predictable. I wonder if we'll ever really excel in soccer since all of our best athletes play the more popular sports here.
 

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
Joined
·
4,168 Posts
Spiff said:
I am.
But I´m rooting for Brazil :D
Everything stops here due to the Cup (even some schools). Now that sucks.

Gui
We have a couple of your types in our neighborhood.

Interesting when people ask "why is the Brazilian flag hanging from your house?" Some folks need to get out a bit more.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top