Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YEAH RIGHT! It was 72 degress at 7am here "where the women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts." Lunchtime yesterday peaked at 92 degrees here in Dogtown, but it's a dry heat! I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Anyway, strapped on a few upgrades in anticipation of a trip to SoMo in Phoenix this weekend. What we have here is a COIL Totem and a "non race" DHX out of the Push factory...





The fork rides smooth right out of the box, VERY plush off the top. The stock spring is a little light for me but I didn't bottom on a few small drops. I dropped about 2 inches of ride height off the 888 which was much appreciated on the climbs, as well as the floodlock to rid any bobbing. Best of all, my fork didn't have any air chamber issues, imagine that!

The Push'd DHX was noticeably improved as well. This kit lets you run less air which gives the stroke a smoother feel, and propedal is still adjustable. I don't usually like to upgrade front and rear at the same time, since it's harder to focus on how much improvement you get. Can't wait to rock this bike in SoMo.

Happy winter everyone!
 

·
Hisforever
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
lets see somepics of the dirty bunghole riding his new gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,148 Posts
Nice set-up, you should put the marzocchi freeride tires on there if you want to go big though. I'm waiting for the UPS guy to show up today too, the suspense is killing me!!! Can't wait to see how the new parts hold up to some Phoenix knarhucks to flat.
 

·
Ich bin ein Knolliner
Joined
·
225 Posts
What happened to the Ti spring on the DHX?

You're making the rest of us VPF owners envious. At least I won't go over the bars as much as you will this weekend.
 

·
Outcast
Joined
·
8,589 Posts
nice looking bike, but where's the gravity retarder?:rolleyes: :D
Usually I hate all you SoCal folks this time of year, but today in the Colorado front range, temps are in the 70's.
Not that I'm out riding or anything......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Skins said:
What happened to the Ti spring on the DHX?

You're making the rest of us VPF owners envious. At least I won't go over the bars as much as you will this weekend.

450 ti was undersprung, and 500 ti won't fit.
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
I usually hate socal'ers later in the winter, of course it started a little early this year but we rebounded nicely, off to Palmer this afternoon.

DB- nice rig, did you send it in for it's bi-annual noise reduction pivot warranty service too? probably not needed yet, it looks brand new :)
 

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Happy winter everyone!

Say what! Who takes months off when you've got primo conditions like this? If we were to wait for a warm day to get out and ride, we may never get to go! Happy winter to all you lower 48ers too.

Rando

PS, woke up to minus 6 (that's F), will peak out today in the high teens after lunch.
 

Attachments

·
Displaying UGI Symptoms
Joined
·
184 Posts
Hey DustyB:

After your ride in AZ please post more impressions of your "Non-Race" Push DHX-Coil. I am thinking of going that route.

THANKS! :)
 

·
Daniel the Dog
Joined
·
6,763 Posts
I'm jealous

Dusty Bottoms said:
YEAH RIGHT! It was 72 degress at 7am here "where the women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts." Lunchtime yesterday peaked at 92 degrees here in Dogtown, but it's a dry heat! I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Anyway, strapped on a few upgrades in anticipation of a trip to SoMo in Phoenix this weekend. What we have here is a COIL Totem and a "non race" DHX out of the Push factory...





The fork rides smooth right out of the box, VERY plush off the top. The stock spring is a little light for me but I didn't bottom on a few small drops. I dropped about 2 inches of ride height off the 888 which was much appreciated on the climbs, as well as the floodlock to rid any bobbing. Best of all, my fork didn't have any air chamber issues, imagine that!

The Push'd DHX was noticeably improved as well. This kit lets you run less air which gives the stroke a smoother feel, and propedal is still adjustable. I don't usually like to upgrade front and rear at the same time, since it's harder to focus on how much improvement you get. Can't wait to rock this bike in SoMo.

Happy winter everyone![/QUOTE

I remember the Chino Hills in January. A pretty boring ride but being able to ride in 70 temps is so nice. We are in the midst of a hurricane here in the NW. How far do you have to drive to ride?

Jaybo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.
Well, yes, biking gets curtailed (but not completely cutoff), but skiing just picks up. I used to bike to get ready for ski season, but now it's the other way round. Shed no tears for the Coloradoan.
 

·
Amphibious Technologies
Joined
·
3,472 Posts
Yup, that's why I live here :D

It must be in the high 80's to maybe 90degrees F; right now. I almost baked last Sunday riding at noontime as it must have been around 90deg.

Jaybo, nearest trail system is about 1/4 mine from my house.
 

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
Joined
·
12,942 Posts
im totally envious dusty. the bike looks like its ready to hit s. mtn in grand style.how long ya gonna be out there and what do ya plan to hit? that hill is covered with primo dirt if ya didnt know and youll have a blast. dare i say the vpf may even be the better weopon than the spot for most of it.

ps: so mo to the az locals is like sayin frisco to their locals. kinda bad juju in some circles.
 

·
Just roll it......
Joined
·
7,621 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
YEAH RIGHT! It was 72 degress at 7am here "where the women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts." Lunchtime yesterday peaked at 92 degrees here in Dogtown, but it's a dry heat! I simply can't conceptualize having to take MONTHS off due to weather.

Happy winter everyone!
I hate you. Ugggh, our winter just officially kicked off this week where we've now had rain for a week and a half straight and the last two days were torrential downpours. Worse yet, it's a "pineapple express" so the temps are too warm to even be getting snow in the hills yet. They estimated we got 12 inches of rain in the mountains yesterday and 4-6" everywhere else.

FWIW, we ride all year long in Seattle....the winter is just usually rather damp.

That VPF looks awfully clean. You ride that thing, right?

EB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cactuscorn said:
im totally envious dusty. the bike looks like its ready to hit s. mtn in grand style.how long ya gonna be out there and what do ya plan to hit? that hill is covered with primo dirt if ya didnt know and youll have a blast. dare i say the vpf may even be the better weopon than the spot for most of it.

ps: so mo to the az locals is like sayin frisco to their locals. kinda bad juju in some circles.
We will be hitting:

National
Mormon
Geronimo
Holbert
Drops in the Wash
Kiwanis
Telegraph Pass
Corona Loma

And Christie's Caberet.
 

·
Outcast
Joined
·
8,589 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
We will be hitting:

National
Mormon
Geronimo
Holbert
Drops in the Wash
Kiwanis
Telegraph Pass
Corona Loma

And Christie's Caberet.
Is this a list of the places you're going to drive your bike to, take a photo of it there, and then drive back to the cantina?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rroeder said:
I usually hate socal'ers later in the winter, of course it started a little early this year but we rebounded nicely, off to Palmer this afternoon.

DB- nice rig, did you send it in for it's bi-annual noise reduction pivot warranty service too? probably not needed yet, it looks brand new :)
At this point, I should be on the "vpp strip & re-lube" pro racing circuit. I can do it in my sleep. In the dry socal weather, the pivots start talking about every 4 months, which is not nearly as bad as it's glamorized.

The bike is about 2.5 years old, but got custom paint about a year ago.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top