Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Seen it as well - I think. First time was coming down Albertson early AM, October of '05. I was flying pretty fast and the sun was at my back so I came up on him in a hurry. Got to within 60 ft before it leaped off the side. Thought it was a coyote at first. But that face is very distinct - and that long tail. Second time was exactly the same spot one year later. Same time of day, same month. Bot events were preceeded by many deer sightings in the area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ride that area all the time...you would be surprised how many lions are near there. I know of three that are gps'ed tracked and live near rocketdyne...one large male and a couple females...although i think one just got killed crossing the 118 by rocky peak, a younger male so i heard.

Bottom line is that if you ride you will cross paths with them, and i bet they see you a lot more than you will see them. Just dont think the cub is cute and try to make friends. Anyways I read that in a 100 years only six deaths by lion in california...so i'll take my chance with the lions vs the unattentive soccer mom in her 4,000 lb SUV on westlake blvd...know what i mean...cheers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A couple of years ago in the ealy morning , riding solo , doing my usual ride , going starting to go up Albertson's to China Flat area , I saw some huge cat tracks just as you do the sweeping left to start the climb. I didn't feel comfortable doing the slow climb by myself so I turned around and headed back to the trailhead in Simi. It must have been a big cat , if I had a camera I would have shown the comparison between my size 7 and the cat tracks. I have seen bobcats at the Simi end of this ride and they do not seem to be fazed by people , they just continue on ,that's not entirely reassuring either.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've ridden all over the Santa Monicas and have done a lot of early AM conditioning rides up Albertson to the China flat area. It has always surprized me how much wildlife is in that area. On a ride about a month ago I saw two grey foxes - not together but in separate sections of the trail. One night back there I literally ran into a herd of deer. OK maybe only about 8-9 of them. But I've never seen that many deer in one place in the Santa Monicas. I regularly see a bob cat at the bottom and top of Albertson. Not sure it's the same one. Coyote are little sparse lately but used to see them frequently. Tons of tracks too. Ride back there on a morning when the dew level is high. All the animal tracks show up real clear.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have seen a mountain lion on at least 3 different occasions over the years.
I have seen bobcats at least 5 times AND treed one while bombing some single track in SCV...that was sorta scary as I was going downhill!:eek: :rolleyes: :eekster:
One time on a night ride I ran into a skunk!(well not into,.... but he was right there 4 feet away!!:eek: )
Coyote..I can't count?
Deer same thing?
What an AWESOME sport! :thumbsup:

·
No dabs.
320 Posts
Interesting this topic came up, as I've got a unique history with the place and the topic.

I've done lots of solo adventuring in Simi over the last 16 years when I stay with my inlaws. Albertson to China Flats and Cheesebro has become a favorite, and I find myself getting more freaked about mountain lions out there than nearly anywhere else. I saw a cat creep out of the brush and run up Albertson one time in the early morning, and I couldn't quite tell at first if it was a bobcat or a lion. Small prints reassured me it was a bobcat, but I still look over my shoulder and routinely make some good coughing/clearing the throat noising when I'm out there alone.

But I have a reason to be a little worried about the lions. Despite what was said above: "I read that in a 100 years only six deaths by lion in california...so i'll take my chance with the lions," it's not so easy for me, as one of those six killed was my mountain bike teammate and friend: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-01-09-mountain-lion_x.htm. He was one of the better mountain bikers I've ever ridden with.

By the way, his parents set up a charity that provides less fortunate kids with their first bikes. If you feel so inclined, visit the site at: http://www.markreynoldsfund.org

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's my regular ride, at least once a week. I've seen deer, coyotes, snakes, but no lions. Super, now I have something to think about, especially on the single track section with the completely tree covered canopy. "back, and to the left"...

·
Registered
201 Posts
mtbdan said:
That's my regular ride, at least once a week. I've seen deer, coyotes, snakes, but no lions. Super, now I have something to think about, especially on the single track section with the completely tree covered canopy. "back, and to the left"...
As an old man would say: Ahhhhhh ! :p

Just put on a light and go for a night ride solo! ;)

--Master your fear young fella! heh-heh :thumbsup:

Teasin of course..but ya I go on solo night rides when no one can go & honestly I would go b-4 all the "hype" . "Ignorance WAS bliss!" :rolleyes:

Now I ride with that nagging thought...It NEVER crossed our minds 10-15 years ago, you know b-4 suspension was used!? heh-he ..yep I'm old! :rolleyes: :D ;) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nagaredama said:
2 people were killed last year in CA by dogs
759 were killed thanks to cars in LA County in 2007

Mountain Lions are the least of your worries.

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html
Ya know I did a solo night ride in the mountains of Santa Clarita in Sept on a full moon. It was an epic night, warm and all that was needed was a jersey and shorts high up overlooking the SCV & San Fernando Valleys..perfect for a mountain lion to "get me".

The sad thing is it never ever bothered me and I never had "mountain lion" thoughts 10 plus years ago..I truly believe it is way over blown AND just an excuse for couch jockeys heh-heh!:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.