Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Friday to all fellow riders!

Ongoing Saga, Still torn between Boise and S. Cal. Boise is so much easier for everything - having no more than a 30 minute (pretty mellow) commute one way (or less), and several options to live where you are either ON, Minutes from, or no more than a few minutes drive, from trailhead and the network of trails in the foothills - but job options more limited there - Boise ain't SoCall!

But if I get blessed with a great job here, (S. Cal), I'm old enough that I need to prioritize THAT, and then have everything else fall into place from there. (riding has fallen apart for a while - as has my lifestyle) - been getting sporadic cardio workouts in gym, and some road riding (Santa Ana river trail, PCH/Newport Coast/Ridge Park Climbs, etc) and have no mountain bike right now.

Anhyoo - Sooo -Unless you're lucky enough to live AND work near your recreation/trails, etc, what have riders found to be the better strategy when choosing a room rental/apartment/condo/home -

A.) Suck it up and do the commute to work, whatever it is, so you can live closer to your recreation; or,

B) Live closer to work, which may be way far from the mountain biking (example, living in Lakewood, Cerritos, Bellflower, etc, or worse?)

These are DIFFICULT propositions, especially since I am SPOILED, from living in Boise; I'm always checking the Idaho/Boise forum and kind of "jealous" of those guys nice lifestyle; however, ANYWHERE is only good if you are working a worthwhile job/career and are financially stable - so even Boise would be no good without that, of course!

However, due to COST OF LIVING IN ORANGE COUNTY, LIKE NEAR THE TRAILS (i.e. foothill ranch, lake forest, aliso viejo, laguna, chino hills, etc), and where job may come through (Cerritos, for example), my hand is forced (unless I don't commit to S. Cal and move again).

Out of work, going broke, living in a shitty situation, stressed out in S. Cal, and torn between Boise and S. Cal (S. Cal IS home no matter how I slice it, but just am not sure what's going to play out now). Chance to still make career has to come first and I have only a few more months at most to have it happen for me here........

EDIT:
Let me add that, if/when I get a job here, I can only either rent a room, or double up, or find a place with more than one roommate. I am NOT able to be even close to being in the market for a house, or even an apartment. Maybe I should also ask, where in S. Cal is great riding communty that is cheaper to live than the OC? I was thinking maybe somewhere around the foothills/mountains north/northeast of Los Angeles like the San Gabs? and work in what, Pasadena area or thereabouts? Although, I want to get back riding with people I know in the OC, i.e. SHARE, Warriors and individuals I started riding with years ago, when got into this incredible sport! First things first.

·
127 Posts
Well, from what I have heard, Boise is a great area to live and home to some good companies. California is heading downhill faster than Nicolas Vouilloz on a world cup downhill course. If you can handle the out of state thing, I would thing in the long term that would be ideal. Many more high paying jobs are leaving the state due to the high cost of doing business here. And with the current budget troubles, it appears they want to increase taxes even more to remedy it. If you do plan on staying, Mission Viejo seems to be the cheapest place to get housing at. Lots of band repos and short sales going on, but it will never be as cheap as the lakewood/bellflower area.

·
Mark
204 Posts
Whatever your choice is in SoCal I recommend seeking an "opposite flow" traffic pattern.

I live near Long Beach and ride mostly in South County. Where I am is primo road bike territory but I don't feel it is too safe on the road in SoCal.

It is about the same distance from home to the San Gabes as it is the the Cleveland Nat'l forest. The 'Gabes have nicer single track, but Cleveland has some nice stuff too plus lots of Fire road.

At any rate, I'm able to ride mornings and the flow of traffic is to the North (opposite the direction I'm going) so I can't imagine living in south county and working in the North but if one lives in the North and can work an early enough schedule, then working in the South would be best so you can ride at lunch or after work.

When i was working in the norther parts of Seattle I got my workout in by commuting to/from work with lights on my MTB then at lunch 2x per week I'd ride the trails.

·
Registered
223 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
...where in S. Cal is great riding communty that is cheaper to live than the OC?...
There are LOTS of places in SoCal cheaper to live than OC ... as far as a riding community - over the years, mtbiking has gotten popular enough that it is not hard at all to find a number of riding partners which would easily qualify as a community - albeit perhaps not always as connected to the industry as some of those in the OC.

San Bernardino County = much cheaper than OC
Riverside County = much cheaper than OC
Many parts of San Diego County = cheaper than OC

just my 2cents

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Born and raised in SoCal. Couldn't pay me to leave. I travel a ton for work and coming home is a wonderful thing.
I live in San Dimas 1 mile from Bonelli Park / Puddingstone Resevoir. Folks love to bag on those trails but how many of you can ride from your front door, ride 10 miles and never cross your path, and be home in time before your wife has even realized you're gone?
If I could handle the weather I'd move, but 60 degrees is too cold for me.
Life is a balancing act and only you can determine what is most important. Whatever decision you make I wish you the best!
MM

·
Registered
128 Posts
Tough call....but I equate it to the chocolate or vanilla question. They are so different and each has plenty of positives and negatives. I am lucky enough to live in Mission Viejo and about a 5 minute pedal time to Whiting and 15 to STT. I also can commute to work in 20 minutes (15 if I take the toll road). I've lived in and went to schoo in Gunnison, CO so I've lived in the mountains although Gunnison is significantly different from Boise.

Riding in OC and SoCal is fun but NOTHING like Colorado. What is considered a quick ride on the 401 trail in Crested Butte by riders out there is considered epic so some in OC. I've never ridden Boise but hear there are some great rides.

I don't know what the job market is like in Boise but I can't imagine it's different from anywhere else in the U.S. right now. My personal priority would to secure decent employment where ever I could and fit my riding in from there. When the economy gets better, then call the shots of where you want to live and ride. But that's just my two cents worth.

Either way, it's a tough decision and hope you make the best one for you. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.