Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm typing this with one hand and stopping the blood flowing from the gash in my knee with the other. I was riding down this ridgeline (no real trail) just minding my own business, and I to brake to avoid some rocks when . . . WHAM!! rag doll out of nowhere. turns out that under the uniform heights of the flowers and bushes which were growing on the ridge, all the rain had carved these nasty deep ruts which were effectively invisible from above but which fully swallowed me. damn invisaruts. could see the bone and everything. i am currently trying to decide if I feel like getting stitches. . . any thoughts? it's just sort of oozing at this point, but it might open back up.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
skatetokil said:
so i'm typing this with one hand and stopping the blood flowing from the gash in my knee with the other. I was riding down this ridgeline (no real trail) just minding my own business, and I to brake to avoid some rocks when . . . WHAM!! rag doll out of nowhere. turns out that under the uniform heights of the flowers and bushes which were growing on the ridge, all the rain had carved these nasty deep ruts which were effectively invisible from above but which fully swallowed me. damn invisaruts. could see the bone and everything. i am currently trying to decide if I feel like getting stitches. . . any thoughts? it's just sort of oozing at this point, but it might open back up.
you can see the bone, and are debating whether or not to get stiches

:rolleyes:

go.... don't even bother to read the rest of the replies, and go get some stiches

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, but

It's in the knee cap area where the bone is really shallow. I'm of the mind that if something is cleaned, disinfected, and covered and you can make the bleeding stop, there is no need to involve the medical professionals. it's when the bleeding wont stop that I get worried. . . I'll give it another hour I think.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blame 661

ironhorsebike1 said:
where were the shin pads on this bike adventure of yours?
Oh, I had em strapped on. whatever hit me hit just above the top of the guard. They may have slid down or whatever it is that sliced me could have come down from above it. Who the hell knows, I was bouncing etc. you will all be happy to know that the bleeding seems to have stopped.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
skatetokil said:
Oh, I had em strapped on. whatever hit me hit just above the top of the guard. They may have slid down or whatever it is that sliced me could have come down from above it. Who the hell knows, I was bouncing etc. you will all be happy to know that the bleeding seems to have stopped.
take some duct tape and butterfly the sonabiatches

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you haven't...

Well, if you haven't gone to the ER or urgent care, I would go to have it looked at. I would be more concerned with infection than anything else...

·
Registered
122 Posts
agreed on the infection issue. if you arent willing to go to the doctor then clean it real good, keep your leg straight (less skin stretch) and butterfly it....

--mntl

·
always learning
539 Posts
when I was in Junior High I smashed my knee really bad and my mom wouldn't take me to the doctor, said it was "just a bump." Two months later I finally convinced her to take me. Over those two months the cartilage in my knee had swollen up and turned to bone, which is normal except my kneecap was in the wrong position. I was in a knee brace for 6 months and as needed whenever it hurt. I wore that brace on and off for years. I still have problems every once in a while with it. Only about 3 years ago I was able to consistently run, ride bikes, etc, and after I got active again I lost 40 pounds. It still haunts me, I'll never be confident enough to just go "try" certain jumps and drops for fear that I might bust my knee again. Its slowed down my progression quite a bit.

My advice:
go to the doctor. You may not realize how bad is is until its already healed the wrong way.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was in Vegas a couple years ago for a friends 21st B-day.
We were out riding (moto) for like 4 hours and we were tired so we headed back to the truck. By the truck were a couple sets of doubles. The was a 40 footer just bhind the ridge by the truck. We had already taken our gear off but my friend wanted to hit it one more time to show off for these girls on quads riding near the truck. So he has his boots on with some fox shorts and a t-shirt. He hits it up...flat lands 15 feet beyond the landing...rebounds and washes out.

to avoid embarrasment he comes back to the truck as quickly as possible to find a 4" gash all the way to the bone just under his knee cap.

21st B-day....vegas....the whole weekend ahead of us....STICHES or NO STITCHES???

He went with no stitches so he could enjoy the rest of the weekend.
He cleans it really well...wraps it up...drinks off the pain and we party the weekend away.
It scabs up... starts to heal and a few days later the pain is unbearable.
He finally goes to the doctor and its badly infected...on the verge of blood poisining and gang green or something like that. The Doc has to scrape the scab off and clean it all back down to bare, clean, open wound and the re-stitch it up. 4 weeks to heal and bottles of anti-biotics.

GO GET STITCHES NOW....it's not worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.