Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
I agree! I've ridden there three times. I would recommend midweek during the winter; you know how socal winter is ;) Start at the bottom, 11 miles up and 11 miles back down.
Good fun.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Awesome! Puts a smile to my face. So, when are you coming back down??? :)

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, Andy and Drew took the day off to get me out there on a Friday. The footage is only about half the descent. There's more of course but you get the idea.

I don't know why I was riding so fast. It was my first time on the trail and I think there was a cliff. I had to fly to the NAHBs show that evening! Such an awesome time!!!

Here's some photos from Andy.

Attachments

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
That video freaks me out. It's a nice looking trail though, but tight and exposed from what I can see in the video. One needs skills to rip that thing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
One of my favorite trails in OC. Did you clean all the switchbacks at the bottom of the trail? Seems like there's a bunch of them!

·
Just Ride
112 Posts
SJ is one of my favorite trails of the south land, ridden it many times and I think any MTBer would love that much single track all at once! Great pics!

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
cool video

·
fRIDEday makes me happy!
902 Posts
Solid!!! I just watched the vid and I am heading down for a day trip asap. Rarely can I watch a 12+ minute unedited video and be so:thumbsup: locked in, yeah!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That video freaks me out. It's a nice looking trail though, but tight and exposed from what I can see in the video. One needs skills to rip that thing.
I know, I can't believe I was going that fast for my first time there. I was pretty tentative the first day since their soil is looser than here. But then I realized it was easier to go fast and see the lines of my expert guides. So I started leaning in to turns and fully committing.

fc

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is that a Santa Cruz TRc? Is good?
The bike is one of the best available today. It is this test bike and I ended up buying it.

Santa Cruz Blur TRc Review | Mountain Bike Review

I shipped it to Crank Brothers before my trip down there and they blinged it out and got it ready for those trails. Lookit those tires!!!

I brought beers for them lovely cyclists of Socal. Only bad part is I had to leave the bike down there. All the rad ladies wanted to try it out

fc

Attachments

·
遅すぎ
431 Posts
I just got back after spending 2 months in the OC for school. Rode SJ a couple of times, and yea it totally rocks. On a weekend, you can't find a place to park there, but on a weekday it's scarily empty and you get the "I'm in the middle of nowhere, and I will probably be eaten by a mountain lion before I get medivac'ed" feeling.

One amazing thing about OC urban trails is even with the amount of hiker and biker traffic, they let 99% of the techy stuff stand; Skegg's probably get's 1/10th the hiker traffic of some of the more popular OC parks, yet they keep 1/4 mile long rock gardens with 3 foot drops left and right bulldozer free. I never got the point of dropper seat posts till I rode down there. They have their own battles with hikers for access too I guess, but for the most part they make midpen look silly. I also haven't seen any radar guns out there either, even if there are 10mph posted limits on some trails.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts