Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Just another FOCer
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my new 7Point7 on Thursday night from The Path Bike Shop in Tustin, CA. I was able to get 3 rides in over the weekend. I'm impressed and very pleased with it. I'm using it as a heavy duty trail bike. Plenty of steep descents here in SoCal.

The bike is a large, weighs 38.5 lbs and is pretty much stock. I'm just under 5'11" and weight 187. (My Camelbak tends to be heavy though.) The stock 375 lbs spring (34% sag) was too soft for me. My LBS got me a 400 lbs spring instead. (26% sag.) I swapped the grips for Ouri lock ons, the 2.7 High Roller UST for a 2.5 High Roller UST and installed my Time Z Control pedals. The jury is still out on the saddle for me. If it wasn't integrated with the seatpost I would have opted for a WTB Power V. Other than that I was impressed with the parts spec. (No El Caminos.)

Be sure to follow the Iron Horse Tech Bulletin when setting up the 5th Element.



The bike climbs very well. I tend to stay seated when climbing. (The bike feels good out of the saddle too.) Right now it actually has a better climbing feel than my Ellsworth (Cali) ID. (The ID needs a slightly stiffer spring and is biased towards descending right now.) If you have the legs and lungs this bike can handle steep climbs very well. The weight is the only things that slows me down on the climbs, not the pedaling efficiency. (7 lbs heavier than my ID.)

Now for the fun part, point the bike downhill. Right off the bat the bike feels very stable and plush. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, this is what I have been waiting for from a bike!" It sticks to ground, turns well and is easy to get behind the saddle for those steep sections. Big air? I can't comment, not my style.

On flat ground, it can be a chore to keep up with my XC counterparts at times. I imagine the big tires create a little drag. The gearing itself is nice.

The one problem I have encountered so far is the routing of the rear derailleur cable. The front chainrings/chain have chewed it up pretty good. (I know, blurry picture.)



I noticed this after my second ride. My LBS is replacing the housing and working on fixing the routing to ensure it doesn't happen again. The bike does shift great. No ghost shifting.

The Sherman Breakout Plus fealt nice. (I ended up sticking with the stock spring.) I was a bit worried about the Sherman. A friend of mine had a terrible experience with a 2005 Sherman Firefly Plus.

Don't forget to put on a chainstay protector. I can't say I notice chain slap when I'm riding, but it does happen.

I'm still getting used to the saddle. It's a little hard.

Ride Videos:

I'm the one about to go over the drop.


Here are three videos I shot Sunday aboard the 7Point7. The park is Santiago Oaks, in Orange, CA:
(Please right click the links below and select Save Target As...)

The first video of the day follows Joel down Bobcat. Look for Frank to fall over in the bushes around the 2:12 mark.
Bobcat (Right click the link and select Save Target As...) Play time is 2:49. File size is 21.2 MB.

The second video follows Joel, Tani and several other riders around the play area and upper sections of Santiago Oaks. Two group rides joining forces. The first 1:05 is of the drop where Mark got hurt. The music is for you Mark. Oh, and why is Joel wiping the lens in the beginning? Watch the entire video and see.
Upper Oaks (Right click the link and select Save Target As...) Play time is 2:52. File size is 21.7 MB.

The third and final video follows Joel down Goat.
Goat (Right click the link and select Save Target As...) Play time is 2:47. File size is 21.0 MB.
 

·
Stand back
Joined
·
4,213 Posts
good job

Nice to hear some more feedback, esp. concerning spring weights (cuz I'm right about your weight :) ), and cool footage. I need to convince someone I ride with to get a helmet cam this year. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
The one problem I have encountered so far is the routing of the rear derailleur cable. The front chainrings/chain have chewed it up pretty good.
I have the same problem with mine

please let me know the solution your LBS tell you.

I'm thinking of just using one chain ring instead of the two (Down Hill style)
the Saint is just too long in my opinion and it's the one causing trouble.

but maybe there's a better way

apart from not coming with the "El Caminos" plus this derailleur problem
everything else is just fine with this bike.

let me know the outcome
regards,
CJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Mastersonics said:
I have the same problem with mine

please let me know the solution your LBS tell you.

I'm thinking of just using one chain ring instead of the two (Down Hill style)
the Saint is just too long in my opinion and it's the one causing trouble.

but maybe there's a better way

apart from not coming with the "El Caminos" plus this derailleur problem
everything else is just fine with this bike.

let me know the outcome
regards,
CJ
haha
i had the same problem with mine. i just zip tied the $hit out of it so it would stay out of the way.(after it tore up my cable housing) i think i pulled a little more slack to the rear of the bike to keep the cable flatter against the chainstay (does that even make sense?) it's kinda hard to see because it's under the "chainstay protector" :D but i haven't had any problem since.

-king of the ghetto mod.
 

Attachments

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,608 Posts
Thanks for review and taking time to put in some quality info.

In regards to flat trail speed; the Weight Weenie forum recently had a long post on tire rolling resistance and how much energy it takes from a rider. It appears that rolling resistance of an inefficient tire can require up to 3x more energy to power than x amount of saving weight on a bike. Maybe a fast rolling but aggressive tire might help you stick with your XC companions on the flats? Maybe a WTB Muntano Raptor 2.24? (they are great for NorCal)

Mr. P
 

·
Just another FOCer
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update (Cable guide & pivot bolt)

I got my bike back from my LBS (The Path Bike Shop) last night. I only rode the bike on the street and did a two foot drop a couple of times. I will ride tomorrow (Thursday) night on the trail, but here is what my LBS came up with for the rear derailleur cable routing. They routed the cable higher by using the old zip tie cable guide trick. One on the chainstay and one on the "upright tube."





Upon inspection they found the lower non drive side pivot bolt had worked its way loose. You could unscrew it with your fingers. Make sure you check them pivot bolts.



I'll be sure to report back Friday morning on how the cable guide held up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,115 Posts
Hey Winston, thanks for the review. Nice looking rig. I like thet black much better than the army green Ive seen. Curious as to why you went with the large. How does it fit? I'm just over 5'11" and would normally go medium. Do they run small? Thanks.
 

·
Just another FOCer
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I first rode the bike around in the shop parking lot I didn't know what size it was. It felt good. I was surprised to learn it was a large. Descending on the trails the bike maneuvers great and it is easy to get behind the saddle for those steep sections. It just seems to fit me well. I also ride a medium Ellsworth ID, which since I converted it with a shorter rear shock was starting to feel too small in the cockpit. (I run 70mm stem on it.) I think the 5'11" height is kind of a tweener size for most bikes between medium and large. It depends on what length top tube you prefer. Since I'm using it as a trail bike, the large works. If I were more a huckster maybe the medium would have been the better choice? Hope this helps.

Last night I took the 7Point7 out on my usual week night ride. A 7.5 mile loop, where the first 75% or so is climbing and the rest is the descent. It usually takes me 52 to 57 minutes on my ID. On the 7Point7 I was able to do the loop in 55 minutes flat last night. The climb took a little longer but the descent was faster. :D

Also, the rear derailleur cable routing held up just fine and bike shifted well. (I'll be sure to post if it fails.)

KRob said:
Hey Winston, thanks for the review. Nice looking rig. I like thet black much better than the army green Ive seen. Curious as to why you went with the large. How does it fit? I'm just over 5'11" and would normally go medium. Do they run small? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I'm about 5'11 185lbs as well, and the medium was fine for me.
I put on some 2.35 UST highrollers, and the bike rips!!
I also put on a 70mm stem (Answer)

I can ride it up the B1tches, Even all the way up Mathis! (Aliso Woods)

Oh, and the stock spring was fine for me, if not a little stiff. Weird.
I'll ahve to checkt eh weight when I get home tonight.
I thought it was a 300lb. Maybe not though.
 

·
Just another FOCer
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice job getting up the B1tches. I ended up walking part of the 2nd B1tch, but that did put me infront of the guys that took the singletrack detour. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Is the Answer stem longer than the stock SIC stem?

It is weird how we ended up at different spring weights.

You should come out for one of the Sunday Path Rides. 8:15 AM in shop parking lot.

Winston

-bb- said:
I'm about 5'11 185lbs as well, and the medium was fine for me.
I put on some 2.35 UST highrollers, and the bike rips!!
I also put on a 70mm stem (Answer)

I can ride it up the B1tches, Even all the way up Mathis! (Aliso Woods)

Oh, and the stock spring was fine for me, if not a little stiff. Weird.
I'll ahve to checkt eh weight when I get home tonight.
I thought it was a 300lb. Maybe not though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Winston said:
Nice job getting up the B1tches. I ended up walking part of the 2nd B1tch, but that did put me infront of the guys that took the singletrack detour. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Is the Answer stem longer than the stock SIC stem?

It is weird how we ended up at different spring weights.

You should come out for one of the Sunday Path Rides. 8:15 AM in shop parking lot.

Winston
Don't quote me on the spring weight.

As for the stem, you can get in almost any length and rise you want.
I got the 70mm 0-degree, and it is jsut what I was looking for.
It gives you a slightly more trailbike climbing position, yet still lets you rip it up like a DH bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Hey BB and WInston, what are your respective inseam lengths (sorry about the gay sounding question) the 5.10/5.11 height does seem to be a 'could go either way' size but I think torso length makes a difference. I dont have a shop to test ride the bike at but Im pretty fired up about 'em.

Thanks,

Matt
 

·
Just another FOCer
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
31 for me.

Mattr said:
Hey BB and WInston, what are your respective inseam lengths (sorry about the gay sounding question) the 5.10/5.11 height does seem to be a 'could go either way' size but I think torso length makes a difference. I dont have a shop to test ride the bike at but Im pretty fired up about 'em.

Thanks,

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
-bb- said:
I'm about 5'11 185lbs as well, and the medium was fine for me.
I put on some 2.35 UST highrollers, and the bike rips!!
I also put on a 70mm stem (Answer)
So the smaller, lighter, tubeless tires make a big difference? What kind of difference would you say there is for flatland (especially) and climbing between the stock monsters and your new ones?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Harvest72 said:
So the smaller, lighter, tubeless tires make a big difference? What kind of difference would you say there is for flatland (especially) and climbing between the stock monsters and your new ones?

Thanks.
Pretty big...

Throw on some old Tube variety XC'ish tires and check it out.
If you like it, then drop the $$ on the tubeless.

btw, the 2.35 UST Sticky Highrollers ROCK. You might only get 2-3 months out of the rear though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
So, -bb-, I don't know how much riding you do on level ground, but from whatever experiance you do have with the new tires, does it cruise like an XC bike? I know it doesn't have XC weight but is it true that weight doesn't matter much on the flats? What do you think about that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Harvest72 said:
So, -bb-, I don't know how much riding you do on level ground, but from whatever experiance you do have with the new tires, does it cruise like an XC bike? I know it doesn't have XC weight but is it true that weight doesn't matter much on the flats? What do you think about that?
Does it cruise like an XC bike?
NO

Does it cruise like a 4-5in Trail bike?
YES
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top