·
Registered
1,096 Posts
is that in florida?

sorry, i was thinking about a different KIND of cougar, ha. *rimshot*

·
Uncle
4,327 Posts
Looks more effective than a gap in the center divide wall. Looks wide enough to fit a set of whoops for dirt cyclists than need to get across too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There are a bunch of these on the Trans Canada Highway leading out of Banff Alberta on the way to Lake Louise. For a stretch of highway I think they have one every 10 miles or something. The Canadian game agencies have found great success and have assembled an arsenal of documentation through research and motion detection cameras. Moose, elk, deer, bear, mountain lions, bobcats, badgers, and just about every mammal you can thing of use these nature crossings regularly. What you can't see are a series of tunnels that compliment the natural bridges. Apparently some species prefer the subterranean passage.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tracking devices on cougars and other animals show that they have to cross the freeway regularly to roam their territory. This land is what they've crossed for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. That is why there an $8 billion dollar US road kill problem.

fc

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I drove the highway in Banff a few years ago. The bridges are quiet beautiful and it is very inspiring. I cannot imagine they are as expensive as traditional bridges, as they look to be giant aluminum culverts that don't need to support cars and truck (this is speculation though).

Banff is a Canadian national park with many large animals.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,529 Posts
There are some in Nevada for cattle.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Wouldn't they just steer their BMWs to the off-ramps?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts