Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and you wipeout and break your arm or your leg, what do you do?

I was just wondering this today.. i could imagine breaking an arm, it would be hell but breaking your leg would just be completely terrible..

You cant really call 911 because how are they gonna get to you? has this ecver happened to anyone?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Only 2 miles? That's not that far out. What would be the challenge in getting to me? Also, why can't I call because it'd be a challenge for the rescuers? Hell, if my phone works, and I'm so screwed that there's no hope of "walk by help", I'm calling.
Try 15 to 20 miles then things get interesting.
I rode the last few miles of Mr. Toads with a separated collar bone a couple years back. That sucked.

Either way, on long rides I usually have a first aid kit, a mini space blanket, whistle in the camel back plus other things in case of emergency.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wg said:
Only 2 miles? That's not that far out. What would be the challenge in getting to me? Also, why can't I call because it'd be a challenge for the rescuers? Hell, if my phone works, and I'm so screwed that there's no hope of "walk by help", I'm calling.
Try 15 to 20 miles then things get interesting.
I rode the last few miles of Mr. Toads with a separated collar bone a couple years back. That sucked.

Either way, on long rides I usually have a first aid kit, a mini space blanket, whistle in the camel back plus other things in case of emergency.
How would rescuers find you? if you have no gps or anything how would they find out where you are?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Besides self cannibalism or surgery...

I would try the celly, yah never know.
Bring a whistle and blow.
If it's early in the day, a well traveled trail, stay put and wait...

If it's late and nobody would find you, splint the arm or leg with a stick or pump and bandanas, make shure you have circulation below the fracture and use a tube as a sling. and make your way back...

I was an EMT/Paramedic for 15 yrs. so I think about these things. I do carry a first aid kit, phone and whistle with me and make shure I have extra water, clothes and food if I'm alone in the boonies.
Happy Trails.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Good topic, I hope someone mentions something I havn't yet though of.

Most rides are within cell coverage. For those that aren't I try to remember to bring my 5 mile walkie talkie, hoping that if something happens I can make contact with someone. I'm not so concerned with folks finding me if there's communication: "My car is parked at such and such a place, I followed this trail about this far." At least in the front range of Colorado, there are groups specifically trained to get broken people (and dumbasses) out of the woods to safety. See:

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?...MPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

for an example.

I have been thinking more about self preservation a lot lately. With my local weather, I usually have a jacket with me for warmth, but I do need to learn a bit more about first aid, just in case. Stuff I never thought about 5 years ago, but stuff that starts to concern me a bit now.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I broke 3 ribs when I hit a sharp ledge on the side of the trail after a big crash. It took me a long time to walk out and back home. I was alone, and didn't expect anyone to come help me, so i knew I had to help myself.

Breathing was agony, and walking very slow. Nevertheless, I made it.

I didnt have my cellphone with me, but after that incident, I always carry it now.

R.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
At least have a radio. Get a GPS and use it.

For a trip away from well-used trails plan your route with a map. Enter the route into your GPS. Leave a print-out of the route in your car. Stay on the planned route. When hurt and you can't travel start planning on shelter for the night. Build a fire IF IT'S SAFE! Carry a FMS/GMRS radio.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
cell, whistle, first aid kit, survival knife

I carry cell phone & survival whistile, complete first aid kit, and a folder knife for survival. I wish I never have to use these tools.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
I carry worchester sauce, a can of fancy feast, and two morphine shots in my camelback for exactly these instances. If I ever were to shatter my leg 30 miles out solo, I smear myself in the stuff, take the shots and hope for the best.

Happy trails.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Remember maps and compasses?

toyota kawasaki said:
How would rescuers find you? if you have no gps or anything how would they find out where you are?
People managed to navigate the world long before gps. Anybody in serious backcountry should have a map and compass and, more importantly, know how to use them. Any time I'm riding I can tell you within a few hundred meters of where I am. (If I'm seriously navigating I can tell you within 10 to 20 meters.) It only takes a little practice and decent observation skills.

H20 treatment tablets & matches in addition to the space blankets, 1st aid kit, knife, whistle, etc. already mentioned.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Debaser said:
Good topic, I hope someone mentions something I havn't yet though of.

Most rides are within cell coverage...
Not where I ride. Cell reception is spoty at best.
Jefe' has the best suggestions.

If you have a leg injury you can use your bike as a crutch if you need to get out.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
One other thing: Tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back. Last you want to become is some stupid self inflicted amputee.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Been there, done that- NOT FUN!

Hard to do but... if you do go out alone, let someone know your route.

If your "lucky" like me, your bike does not get broken. 20' foot drop. Knew my leg was broken and thought my shoulder was dislocated. Turned out to be worse. Lots of 222s, duct tape, pump and mostly downhill got me 15 km to the trailhead before I passed out. Woke up in hospital and spent the next two years in and out of surgery and physio theraphy. Some lessons are learned the hard way. :(

BTLG

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ouch :s

could you ride for those two years or what?

what exactly happened? Ive seen wipeouts in vids from over 20 feet where people get up but I assume those are crazy unbreakable people

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Wholey Moley!

BTLG said:
20' foot drop. Knew my leg was broken and thought my shoulder was dislocated. Turned out to be worse. Lots of 222s, duct tape, pump and mostly downhill got me 15 km to the trailhead before I passed out.
You win the studlyness prize. I trust your doing better.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
My friends have laughed at me

but along with first aid, knife, water, etc.for long rides I carry a snakebite kit. I just tell'em "if ya get bit it's gonna be a $500.00 snakebite kit" :D

·
Long Distance MTB
285 Posts
Compass

Spooler said:
People managed to navigate the world long before gps. Anybody in serious backcountry should have a map and compass and, more importantly, know how to use them.
Oh yes, a compass. I got a Silva Polaris (basic one) and started using it. It is tricky but very useful. There has been a couple times when I think the compass is not too useful, but every time I have ended having to accept that the compass was right and my sense of orientation was wrong.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
It sucks when it happens.

1.- Try not to ride alone.
2.- Cell phone / radio are life savers
3.- First Aid kit or learn how to use your bike implements as temporary aids (a friend of mine got his shoulder hurt but we did stabilize him with a tube)

Same friend mentioned above (our official geophysical surveyor /soil tester) got hurt at the same shoulder mentioned above during a ride out where assistance was just a freaked up dream. It was a trail down a creek and we were 8 kms far from our truck. He had to walk the eight miles up.... in pain for sure. Not funny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
toyota kawasaki said:
we have our ways to find anyone just about anywhere, if someones in trouble and its brought to rescuers knowledge, we use anything and everything that we can benifit from, thermal imagers, dog, helicopters, or the simple instructions from the person. It may take longer, but if you cant ambulate yourself, its what needs done to survive

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.