Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
very sweet. that post would make me nervous though. i guess that being a fat a$$ makes it tough to do super light or road parts like that. oh well.. i can live vicariously by putting light parts on the wife's bike :)

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
I thought I had to degauss my monitor there for a second. I understand the TT but what's the deal with the chainstays? Are they built for extra compliance?

Anyway, I guess I'd call it interesting and leave it at that ;).

·
Registered
489 Posts
So why can`t Wes just tilt the TT down sharper then than to resort to bending it? The seatstays i can understand with the built in compliance and all but the TT... Not knocking it, it is a fine piece of craftmanship.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Great looking bike! At first I was thinking it was sorta "Dali-esque" with all of those wiggly tubes, kinda like my screen was melting or something. ;)

Congrats, and enjoy that sweet ride!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,854 Posts
My milskshake...

is not better than that. Very nice man. What's your height. When do you get to ride it?

francois

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
erol/frost said:
So why can`t Wes just tilt the TT down sharper then than to resort to bending it? The seatstays i can understand with the built in compliance and all but the TT... Not knocking it, it is a fine piece of craftmanship.
I suspect a 28" standover with a straight tube would make it look like the top and down tube were almost parrallel like a womans bike(gasp) and no second bottle cage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hey there,
If the TT were to go down at an angle that left his super-short legs the standover he needs, then the TT would hit the bend of the DT. Also, the multiple bends add an incredible amount of torsional rigidity. You can't tell from the photo, but the TT is mashed oval at the HT junction reducing twisting and allowing for the shorter HT and thus lower bar height that a short-legged rider needs.

Even though we think it looks cool, it's just WAY too much work to do for anything but functionality. A good week goes into the tube manipulation alone, even though we've got it dialed.

A rider of average height/proportion would still get a straight TT.

-steven

erol/frost said:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It looks like too much work and effort. The geometry just looks like someone was too determined to prove a point and be able to ride a 29er. Sorry - there is a lot of nice work going on there and it must have made someone really happy, but it seems faintly silly to me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
nice work + made someone really happy = custom bike experience

It's not for everyone, but that's okay.

-steven

TooTallUK said:
It looks like too much work and effort. The geometry just looks like someone was too determined to prove a point and be able to ride a 29er. Sorry - there is a lot of nice work going on there and it must have made someone really happy, but it seems faintly silly to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got back from chasing this bike all over hell. It's fast and the owner couldn't say anything because he was so busy grinnin'.

This is a phenominal machine. And it just looks fricken cool. I don't know there TooTall what you're saying. After what I just experienced there's a whole lot of funtionality going on there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
irregardless of tall or short ppl. 29" just roll over all of 'em.

sweet ride. i got weird body proportions too, so did a custom retrotec 29er. i got exceptionally long body and short legs *grinz*.

but that 1 is a nice sweeeeet bike. very nice.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts