Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new rant
so my city spends taxpayer money on building skateparks
this isn't uncommon as far as cities go.
my problem is, what about the mtb's?

skate parks done have the kind of things i like to do
and the trails i ride were all built by individuals
who swallowed the cost themselves.
this shows dedication to the sport, and the trail maintenance shows the coperation of riders

but why dont cities do for us what they do for skaters?
not to mention, they have a way of tearing down trails that we built...when they find them...
recently the local ski hill opened a decent bike park...but its not free like skate parks..

so is this just my city, am i just a whiner or has anyone else thought about this?

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
You are a whiner.

Be glad there are skate parks to keep the majority of kids there and not doing meth in the alley.

ok..wait maybe they are still doing meth, but least they are not doing as much Nentendo or Playstation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha.
well that is true

but im not saying there shouldnt be skateparks
im saying there should also be bike parks

then even more kids would be kept out of drugs and other similar issues.
i know as a 16 year old myself mtb is whats kept me out of drugs and away from smokeing

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
CnadianMade8 said:
new rant
so my city spends taxpayer money on building skateparks
this isn't uncommon as far as cities go.
my problem is, what about the mtb's?

skate parks done have the kind of things i like to do
and the trails i ride were all built by individuals
who swallowed the cost themselves.
this shows dedication to the sport, and the trail maintenance shows the coperation of riders

but why dont cities do for us what they do for skaters?
not to mention, they have a way of tearing down trails that we built...when they find them...
recently the local ski hill opened a decent bike park...but its not free like skate parks..

so is this just my city, am i just a whiner or has anyone else thought about this?
Because your city doesn't hear or see you at council meetings. Be loud and numerous enough and you will be heard.

gotta hold onto the belief that democracies work.......;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FloridaFish said:
Because your city doesn't hear or see you at council meetings. Be loud and numerous enough and you will be heard.

bro i got no faith in the democratic system.
but does anyone out there live in a place where parks are municiply funded?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
CnadianMade8 said:
but im not saying there shouldnt be skateparks
im saying there should also be bike parks

then even more kids would be kept out of drugs and other similar issues.
i know as a 16 year old myself mtb is whats kept me out of drugs and away from smokeing
You are right; there should be bike parks. Here's the thing: skate parks took the better part of 30 years to become mainstream. I don't think that means we need to wait thirty years for bike parks.

There was a wave of private skate parks back in the 70's and they pretty much all disappeared, went out of business. The folks that used those skate parks are 40 to 50 years old now, vote, and have kids that skate. If cyclists and the industry get organized around the issue of bike parks, they are possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HarryCallahan said:
You are right; there should be bike parks. Here's the thing: skate parks took the better part of 30 years to become mainstream. I don't think that means we need to wait thirty years for bike parks.

There was a wave of private skate parks back in the 70's and they pretty much all disappeared, went out of business. The folks that used those skate parks are 40 to 50 years old now, vote, and have kids that skate. If cyclists and the industry get organized around the issue of bike parks, they are possible.
AMAZING point. best so far.
next time im at my LBS i plan to start asking questions about this
mabye theres already sombody trying to get this going that im just unaware of...
...atleast i hope so...

·
Registered
131 Posts
hmm

Skateparks are so unique to the sport...once you get involved trying to get some public funds involved with trail creation/maintainence, those hippie hikers get involved, and somehow get more bikes removed from trails than added.

That, and you have big commercial playground/skatepark manufacturers holding the ears of city parks and rec officials...:skep:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ride a day in their shoes and you will soon realize bikers have it easy finding places to ride. Publicly funded skate parks aka (concentration camps) are not all that much fun after while. Try riding down the street on a board vs. a bike, guaranteed as a skater you're going to get hassled.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Glendale, California. Municipally funded skate park. Happy skaters. No bikes allowed. Pissed of bikers.

However, they have been holding community meetings over the past six months to come up with a "Master Trail Plan" to make the existing trails official, and plan for new ones, as well as signage, parking, and ongoing maintenance. Hopefully we'll get a skills park and a one-way downhill bike-only single track. I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

Best we can do is keep showing up at the meetings and make our voices heard, and fortunately, they are listening to the local mountain biking community.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Also a good sized skate park takes up a half an acre or so, Trails require much more than that. The people who control the purse strings are gonna need to see quite a bit of interest, in order to dedicate open space exclusively for bikes.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Or, maybe the city or a private organization should buy warehouses and convert them into indoor mtb parks, like Ray's in Cleveland. His is only 18,000 square feet. There are tons of big bldgs over the country that sit idly. Use them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lawson Raider said:
Ray's in Cleveland...is only 18,000 square feet.
Uhm... you're a bit off. Ray's is 88,000 sq ft. That's huge! Plus, with rental costs for a warehouse ranging from $0.29 to $0.50 per sq ft that would be a monthly rent/ lease of $25,520 to $44,000.

FloridaFish said:

I know you don't want to hear this but FloridaFish is right. A bike park will never be served to you on a silver platter. Your trails will continue to be torn down and your bike park will never exist if you don't start working w/ the land managers, local/city/state representatives.

·
Cannondale Snob
715 Posts
SWAMP is a mountain bike club that creates and maintains (and uses, of course!) a variety of trail systems in a half-dozen locations in the Tampa Bay (FL) area. These are on state land, in state parks, and we are welcomed there. The ranger station at the gate to Alafia River State Park sells mountain biking supplies: camelbacks, cliff bars, tubes, helmets, etc. They'll even loan you a helmet if you forget yours! The SWAMP club does trail maintenance on Saturday mornings and trail rides on Sunday mornings (along with some smaller Tuesday and Thursday evening rides). This club was invited by state parks to build bike-only trail systems.

check out:
www.swampclub.org
http://outdoortravels.com/biking_fl_overview_alafia.html

If you want it, you have to get active and organized. Don't ***** and moan about not having something that you didn't work for.

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
here's YOUR chance

to step up and organize the thing. I'm on a small island of about 3,500 people, far less than Edmonton, and we recently completed a practice park here.

We were able to obtain gov't funding for $10,000, and raised more from functions, and built it all with volunteer labour.

Nobody will just build one, it's up to you. Get a bunch of buddies and get started.

Good luck, Jim

·
Registered
159 Posts

gotta hold onto the belief that democracies work.......
How do you think the skate parks got there in the first place?... skaters had to be active and work to get there park built. You can't complain until you have all ready tried to work with your local government officials.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rebel1916 said:
Also a good sized skate park takes up a half an acre or so, Trails require much more than that. The people who control the purse strings are gonna need to see quite a bit of interest, in order to dedicate open space exclusively for bikes.
actualy, the parks system in my city is fairly well developed
simple trails could be run 10-20 feet away from walking paths in the undeveloped bush all throughout the ravines

soulrida said:
How do you think the skate parks got there in the first place?... skaters had to be active and work to get there park built. You can't complain until you have all ready tried to work with your local government officials.
The skaters in my city didnt lobby for change.
it was business oners tired of there curbs and structures bein marked up
thats my issue.. bikers are generally discrimated against where i live...
not by everyone..but it seems were just generaly seen as a menace
but not enough so for them to complain..
i dont know if you guys get what im trying to explain

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
CnadianMade8 said:
actualy, the parks system in my city is fairly well developed
simple trails could be run 10-20 feet away from walking paths in the undeveloped bush all throughout the ravines

The skaters in my city didnt lobby for change.
it was business oners tired of there curbs and structures bein marked up
thats my issue.. bikers are generally discrimated against where i live...
not by everyone..but it seems were just generaly seen as a menace
but not enough so for them to complain..
i dont know if you guys get what im trying to explain
I agree, many of the parks up here in Canada were built to give the skaters somewhere to go not because they lobbied and fought for them.

but as many of the other posters have said, things won't happen till:
1. the voice of the MTB/BMX community is heard
or
2. Mtb'rs/BMX'rs become enough of a nuisance to the people on the streets (I really hope this doesn't happen :eek: )

There have been pushes for dirt jump parks in Calgary for years, and one has yet to be built, start the fight now and maybe by the time that you voting age you'll have made some progress

DMR

1 - 20 of 26 Posts