Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a few, or maybe more than a few 888's in the classifieds, prices range from good to great (depending on your point of view)

but they don't seem to be selling, or at least my 888 RR isn't selling and I have seen posts for a guy selling a brand new 888 R for a real good price and he said his isn't selling yet?

Anybody know what the deal is?

nobody wants these forks? or just nobody has any money, or tax time, or what?

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
DJBiker said:
I see a few, or maybe more than a few 888's in the classifieds, prices range from good to great (depending on your point of view)
Doug - my advice, since I have sold a lot of stuff here:
  • Ask a reasonable price from the beginning, basically the "break-even point" you are willing to accept. Then there's no negotiating, but you're offering a great price to begin with. (and I'm not saying what you are asking is not reasonable, I don't even know what you are asking for the forks)
  • Add a link to your signature line, and post A LOT of responses to posts on different forums in MTBR to get exposure. Almost everything I have sold came from people seeing it in my sig, and clicking the link.
  • If all else fails, try Ebay. It really works. Set your reserve where you need it to be, and set the opening bid low.
These things worked for me, hope it helps you out.

DHF

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I checked out the ebay thing . . .

thing is: ebay, by the time you add reserve, buy it now price and the rest of the "features" you will give ebay 10% of your sale in fees.

Thats a hell of a deal for ebay, not so good for me. But hey they gotta make a buck too . . .

Just means I gotta charge 10-15% more for the stuff I sell . . . not so good for consumers . . .

go figure, this free market capitolism, supply and demand, stuff well it has my head ah spinning . . .

So, let me get this straight . . . 04' 888 RR (HSCV in one leg, SSVF in the other, upgradable, integrated stem, 20mm bolt on axle) gently used for $650 + shipping . . .

that seems like a good price to me, what do you think?

(you've seen my stuff, and considering how I ride, and how often I ride, it's like "almost new") I don't think you could find a fork this good for a price like that new, but hey, um like whatever . . .

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
Ya' know, it probably has nothing to do with this particular fork, or the price you're offering it at, or anything. The used parts market is weird for anything - mountain bikes or otherwise. I had a misc. parts thread going on Ridemonkey, selling off all my old crap. I'd go months without a single PM, and then, all of a sudden, I sold three quarters of what I had listed within a matter of a few days to about six people.

You basically have a choice. You can be patient and wait for the market to come around, or you can sell it at a price you don't want to sell it for - offer anything cheap enough and it doesn't matter if the buyer needs it, they'll just snap up a good deal.

As for eBay, if you want to take a chance, just do a minimalistic auction - no "Buy it Now", no reserve, just set the starting price at something that it wouldn't kill you to sell it for and see what happens. It's a risk, but you're almost guaranteed to make at least a few bucks.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
ironhorsebike1 said:
i have no idea why either. my perfectly new 05 888 rc isn't selling either (it's only at $750 too) why ins' it selling? :confused: . and it's making me mad because i can't ride my new bike until i can get rid of it and get my boxxer. aaahhh!
I would love to get my hands on thtat fork for that price,....but I still cant make up my mind on getting a demo frame or putting a 888 on my bighit.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Also you only accept money orders, i can't speak for others, but when I see an auction or an ad where somebody doesn't accept paypal, i keep on looking. I won't even email with a question to somebody who doesn't take paypal. that's just me though.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
also, your fork looks to be in great condition, but your price seems a bit high compared to other people's. you've got the low end 888, correct? well people like ironhorse are selling their forks for just a bit more and they perform better. here's a link to how much things on ridemonkey are going for: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/search.php?searchid=384644
basically everything there is going for really cheap, there are brand new 888's at $800 and nobody's buying.
it takes a long time to sell things as well, i had my stinky for sale like two months and then sold it really fast. just think about how much you would be willing to take at the minimum and put that price, it will probably sell for even less 'cause of all these hagglers.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
sadly, it's "old" technology. Yes it still works great, and yes it's probably better than some "new" technology, but right now the new popular forks are boxxers and fox forks. next it'll be the new manitou fork, and people will have trouble selling boxxers/foxs.

the other thing is that people can buy a brand new, in the box '05 888 RC for $819 w/ free shipping on ebay. it sucks, but there it is...

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadly . . .

dante said:
sadly, it's "old" technology. Yes it still works great, and yes it's probably better than some "new" technology, but right now the new popular forks are boxxers and fox forks. next it'll be the new manitou fork, and people will have trouble selling boxxers/foxs.

the other thing is that people can buy a brand new, in the box '05 888 RC for $819 w/ free shipping on ebay. it sucks, but there it is...
"old" technology, hum a fork introduced in 04' and continued in 05' so not more than 2 years old as far as the "technology" goes, and it's "out of date"

Dude, pass the crack pipe over this way!!! It's not a computer, it's a bicycle componet! the minimum life span for "most" "high-stress" bikes and componets is like 5 years . . .

So, what "New Technology" fork are you running?

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
DJBiker said:
that seems like a good price to me, what do you think?

(you've seen my stuff, and considering how I ride, and how often I ride, it's like "almost new") I don't think you could find a fork this good for a price like that new, but hey, um like whatever . . .
Price doesn't seem high to me, but I'm not researching them because I bought what I wanted already. Someone else suggested Paypal, that's also a good point and idea...but their are fees there too.

Sometimes things just take a while to sell, and then boom you get 6 emails in one day! I still get emails on my BigHit, and when it was up for sale I only got one! Luckily, that person turned out to be serious and bought it...

FWIW, Brian just sold his 2003 Monster T (w/ axle stem & a set of H-bars) yesterday after having it up for about a month. And he was only asking $500, and got no emails about it for weeks.

Good luck wih the sale,

DHF

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
DJBiker said:
"old" technology, hum a fork introduced in 04' and continued in 05' so not more than 2 years old as far as the "technology" goes, and it's "out of date"

Dude, pass the crack pipe over this way!!! It's not a computer, it's a bicycle componet! the minimum life span for "most" "high-stress" bikes and componets is like 5 years . . .

So, what "New Technology" fork are you running?
Relax, I'm not bashing the technology (note the "better than some new technology" statement), I'm just saying that its not the latest, greatest thing. people are always willing to pay more for the latest/greatest, and a LOT less willing to pay for even year old product. Notice '04 Super Ts being sold NEW for $499.

In the end, your fork is only worth what someone else will pay for it. Period. Buy an american car and within 2 days it's worth half of what you paid for it. Buy a Prius and a year later you can sell it for more than what you paid for it. Sucks, but that's economics...

Hope this helps, I wasn't bashing your fork, or making any comments on how you ride or treat the fork, just keep in mind that buyers are people too, they follow the latest trends and are leery of buying used parts in general.

:cool:

·
Beyond the stars
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm chillin'

yea, I get the whole, "stuff is worth what people are willing to pay for it" and I understand everybody wants the Fox DH 40, but I don't see those for anything less than about 14 hundred, so I can see why not a lot of guys are running those, unless sponsers are giving them away, or buying a $5k bike with one on it . . .

I just wondered what the "deal" was, I mean what price does stuff have to be for people to buy it? That dudes "new in the box" 888 R and he can't get 7 1/2 for it? what gives? These are great forks, put one on a Stinky, Bighit, or an SGS Pro and it's a smokin' ride. I can't understand why someone would want to swap out a 888 for a Boxxer, but hey what do I know . . .

hell, I still think this stuff is "newer technology" so "I" must be the one smokin' crack . . .

Signed,
your crack smokin', trip 8 ridin, with a spare in tho house, crazy mo fo . . .

·
No Clue Crew
7,647 Posts
I'm new-ish to mountain bikes, but buy a lot of used parts to build rockcrawlers, which is my other hobby. Principles remain the same. When I buy used parts, I'm roughly looking at -- depending on the part -- 50 percent of retail. Once someone else has installed the part -- no matter how gentle they are -- the part is used.

Any more than 50 percent of retail -- considering I'll have to pay shipping and I can't be certain the condition of the part until it's in my hand -- and it often makes long-term economic sense to simply buy new. People buying used are looking for a deal; otherwise they'd buy new.

Just my nickel.
dion

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
DJBiker said:
yea, I get the whole, "stuff is worth what people are willing to pay for it" and I understand everybody wants the Fox DH 40, but I don't see those for anything less than about 14 hundred, so I can see why not a lot of guys are running those, unless sponsers are giving them away, or buying a $5k bike with one on it . . .

I just wondered what the "deal" was, I mean what price does stuff have to be for people to buy it? That dudes "new in the box" 888 R and he can't get 7 1/2 for it? what gives? These are great forks, put one on a Stinky, Bighit, or an SGS Pro and it's a smokin' ride. I can't understand why someone would want to swap out a 888 for a Boxxer, but hey what do I know . . .

hell, I still think this stuff is "newer technology" so "I" must be the one smokin' crack . . .

Signed,
your crack smokin', trip 8 ridin, with a spare in tho house, crazy mo fo . . .
Cool, just remember that on ebay you can get new '05 888 RCs for 800 shipped. stuff like that kills the resell value of anything similar. hell, I was checking out ebay a little bit ago and 7" breakout+ forks went for $225! :eek: $800 fork for almost 1/4 of that.

Peace.

·
Registered
637 Posts
matt said:
Also you only accept money orders, i can't speak for others, but when I see an auction or an ad where somebody doesn't accept paypal, i keep on looking. I won't even email with a question to somebody who doesn't take paypal. that's just me though.
werd... money orders are too much of a pain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.