Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time is comming to think about a summer roadtrip and start planning. I was wondering if whister during crankworx is a good time? Or is it just too crowded to have any fun.

I was thinking we'd go for two weeks, either the week before and the week during, or the week during and the week after. Which one of those weeks do you think will allow us the most riding?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you don't intend to ride much then it would be fun with all the festivities. I've been there twice. The first time I caught the tail-end of CRankworx and I certainly wasn't riding that day. The whole boneyard was one big dust cloud. Honestly, it is best to maximize your number of weekdays out there so that you don't get hit with the week end crowds. If you really are a big fan of events where you watch other people ride, then you should check it out. Me personally, I'm always the guy that when someone asks, "hey you want to go to (insert race/comp here)?" I just say, "Nah, I'd rather go do some riding myself."
Another thing to consider is trail conditions. Could be pretty washed out after CW.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RobsterCraw said:
If you don't intend to ride much then it would be fun with all the festivities. I've been there twice. The first time I caught the tail-end of CRankworx and I certainly wasn't riding that day. The whole boneyard was one big dust cloud. Honestly, it is best to maximize your number of weekdays out there so that you don't get hit with the week end crowds. If you really are a big fan of events where you watch other people ride, then you should check it out. Me personally, I'm always the guy that when someone asks, "hey you want to go to (insert race/comp here)?" I just say, "Nah, I'd rather go do some riding myself."
Another thing to consider is trail conditions. Could be pretty washed out after CW.
I'd probably get my fill of riding the week before or after, I'd love to check it out and would be fine not riding much during the actual comps, especially with all the festivities, I could have a blast. Is there anywhere to camp around there? Or would we have to get a hotel, if so how early would you have to call ahead to get rooms during crankworx?

·
Registered
229 Posts
We went last year, the week after CW. No big deal, trails were fine. I don't know about two weeks of whistler. First, you can't feel your hands after the first day, let alone 7 days... also, there are some other great riding spots up there that might be worth a visit if you've got 14 days to kill. I've haven't been to any of them, but FWIW there were whistler locals talking about how some of the other places in that vicinity were as good or better than whistler.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
We were at whistler the whole week of Crankworks last year, and it ripped. The lines to the Garbonzo were small. We left on friday to avoid the chaos. We just headed to the Shore and road the sickness of Cypress.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
try a search! pages have been written........it's a good time to go, but the park does get crowded the actual weekend of the festival, and lots of runs are closed. weekdays are good. Tons of other great (better?) riding with no crowds to be had locally, but you gotta be able to climb to reach most of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.