Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First race of the year, perfect trail conditions, perfect weather, what more could you ask for? :thumbsup:

G

·
I'll be there. Novice 40-49. Granite Bay sounds like a good course for early in the season. The only other race I've done was the Howell Mtn. Challenge in Angwin last August. It was 12 miles as well, but seemed like a lot of climbing. Had a great time though. Hopefully Granite Bay is a little easier, as I am no where near being fit this early in the season.

See ya there.

·
Registered
341 Posts
could be FREE

If you volunteer to work an event, TBF gives you credit toward any event. I'll be there Saturday for the duathlon, but I'll miss the Sunday activities.

I will be there for the Sunday MTB event on the 24th, working to cover some event fees. Good luck to anyone participating this Sunday! :D

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't understand how people with 3,000$ ++ bikes, who think nothing of dropping 200$+ on a dérailleur or some other part can complain about a 40$ race entry fee. I don't know,,, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
My take is not everyone rides $3k plus bikes, spends $200 on a derailleur, or wants to pay to ride free trails with a whole bunch of other people. Not that hard to understand really. Good luck though and have fun. Weather should be super.

·
Registered
482 Posts
zon said:
I don't understand how people with 3,000$ ++ bikes, who think nothing of dropping 200$+ on a dérailleur or some other part can complain about a 40$ race entry fee. I don't know,,, maybe it's just me.
Because the bikes and 200 dollar part last alot longer... the park is literally in my back yard. I ride those same trails you will be racing on with my 7 year old daughter. If I am going to pay to race I would rather do it on a course I have not ridden before or in a more exotic location like the Sea Otter or Moab.. maybe I am just burnt on ridin those trails for the past 6 years.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the race but I have hardly any ride time on the mtb or roadie bike because of that nasty ass cold going around so I don't know. Then again, who cares if I get wooped out there on my 34lb trail bike.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Two answers

Ebo, this is Granit Bay!!! The likes of Tesla, Eddie Murphy could be there!!!.

Land, etc. is very expensive in this local, purhaps the race overhead is also HUge at this site?? Zon perhap I'll came down and check out the race, and possibly race there soon. The last race I did was the cool 24hr. I need some motivation!!

DirkFH,

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know what? It's not about "free trails", or "backyard trails", it's about the fun and thrill of racing. Doesn't matter where a race is, it's just plain fun to get out there and do it. Gives me a reason to ride hard, fast, and often. Hey, but to each his own. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
zon said:
Good point... but got me thinking. If I ride a $3K bike on average 1.5 times a week, that's 75 times a year (I usually ride more). That's $40 a ride and endless fun for one year. If I ride that same bike for 3 years, I'm down to about $14/ride. Add about $5/ride annually for purchases, repairs, etc. But, I'm getting 3+ years (usually 6 years in my case) for my initial investment, and feel it's money well spent. (Ideally, I'm getting down to less than $7/ride... or less than $1/mile :) )

I do have a hard time justifying $50 for a t-shirt and to find out who's faster and slower than me, on trails I ride all the time. I guess it would be different if it was somewhere else I haven't ridden before. I don't need a race to push hard and feel the burn either.

I love racing, and I like the TBF crew, but $50 is too much to get me to sign up. If I knew part of my $50 went to THEM doing some trail maintenance and new trail construction, I'm in... but they don't do any of that (while I and many others do).

Go get 'em tomorrow!

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
velo_ace said:
Way overpriced to race flat, sandy fire roads.
Ummm,, it was 95% pristine single track,mostly rolly with a couple of moderate climbs. No fire road at all.

·
Registered
341 Posts
some serious competition?

The day before I had some professional XTERRA (and other) road bikers and tri-athletes in the duathlon event.

Here's one of them...
http://www.jamiewhitmore.com/
She kicked some serious TAIL.

I haven't checked the MTB race results yet to see who was there. Yeah, no fire roads and no hardpacked flats. Rather challenging when at full speed with others wanting to pass. I saw plenty of crashes on Saturday.

·
Registered
667 Posts
That is a fun race

I know a lot of you think that it is too expensive, or the trails are in my backyard, or dont have a competitive bone in your body, but it is good to support local racing, We are lucky to have a series in our backyard. Do you know how many people have to drive hours and hours just to ride let alone race. I will always throw my $50 out there to compete, especially in our backyard. I could care less if you have a huffy or a $7000 exogrid Titus, get out there and support local grassroots racing. It is fun and gives you a way to measure progress. I had a great time on my rigid singlespeed and my sprint to finish holding off two other guys in my class made it worth every penny. I know that your 7 year old can rip those trails, but can you at full tilt boogey for 18 miles?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sweet... hope you had a good time.

zon said:
Ummm,, it was 95% pristine single track,mostly rolly with a couple of moderate climbs. No fire road at all.
Raced cross there a few times, and although a fine cx course, it impressed me as a little too flat and sandy to be much fun on an MTB.

Just perspective I suppose. I'm spoiled as my 'backyard' MTB race series is only $5 / race.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.