Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
I know SIN, Snowskilz, Myself, Scrublover, and Silent K will be over there on the western Slope this weekend hitting up some Fruita DH. But is anyone else making the trek?
Thumper, S1ngletrack, or anyone else going?
Not gonna make this trip. I've got my first race in Nathrop this weekend if it doesn't snow too much.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was thinking about it but the weather forcast is getting worse by the day! Gonna save up a sick day at work for a trip that I know is gonna be sunny. But I sure will miss all of the Fat Tire Amber.... mmmmm beer... Have a good one fellas

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
I know SIN, Snowskilz, Myself, Scrublover, and Silent K will be over there on the western Slope this weekend hitting up some Fruita DH. But is anyone else making the trek?
Outta curiosity (not trying to start some DH vs XC thread), but what stuff out in Fruita do you think is DH? I ride out there quite a bit, and I really wouldn't call any of it DH oriented, e.g. you gotta have a bike you can pedal. Just curious if you know about some stuff I don't...

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rally Blue said:
I was thinking about it but the weather forcast is getting worse by the day! Gonna save up a sick day at work for a trip that I know is gonna be sunny. But I sure will miss all of the Fat Tire Amber.... mmmmm beer... Have a good one fellas
We are going to keep an eye on the weather as well...
but I looked at it on Weather.com this morning and from what I Understand,
the trails we will be riding are closer to Grand Junction and the weather for GJ, Looks great for the weekend. We will keep an eye.

IBMKidIII, I'm not sure, but according to people I have talked to, there are DH trails of some type close to GJ that are shuttleable and pretty much mostly Dh with some Pedaling involved, Just not much. we shall see. :D

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ibmkidIII said:
Outta curiosity (not trying to start some DH vs XC thread), but what stuff out in Fruita do you think is DH? I ride out there quite a bit, and I really wouldn't call any of it DH oriented, e.g. you gotta have a bike you can pedal. Just curious if you know about some stuff I don't...
My understanding from Thumper and Singletrack is there is Shuttleable Trails near GJ that people call Fruita, but isnt. I dunno, maybe it isnt DH, but more FR type.
None, the less, I am only bringing my Dh Bike. I don't know, I have never ridden there before, but my understanding is that it is DH. I am hoping thats what we will ride.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86864

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=82240

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
My understanding from Thumper and Singletrack is there is Shuttleable Trails near GJ that people call Fruita, but isnt. I dunno, maybe it isnt DH, but more FR type.
None, the less, I am only bringing my Dh Bike. I don't know, I have never ridden there before, but my understanding is that it is DH. I am hoping thats what we will ride.

I wouldn't call these trails DH or FR, really. But you can shuttle some of them that give you an overall elevation drop. There is still considerable climbing. There is a DH trail out there that Lance Canfield built, but is not open yet, I understand. That said, one could still have some fun on a DH bike, but a FR / All-mountain bike is better suited on the stuff I've ridden out there so far....

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
bpatterson6 said:

Uh... I'd agree with Grant on this one. These trails might better be described as (I'm taking my cue from Hfly's trail classification scheme here) "XC, with DH elements". If you went out expecting lots of elevation loss w/ little climbing, you'd be sorely (pun intended) mistaken. The way we've ridden the Ribbon involves what I'd guess to be around 1000 ft vertical of climbing toward the end (though there is another way out, that I have not ridden)

FYI

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
I believe you be talking about the Ribbon trail connecting it with whateva on the lower gunny/lunch loop stuff. Very good ride....a point to point is a more apt description, than a "shuttle". I recall a hefty climb getting back out of the drainage it drops you into. ;)

You got a small ring on that DH bike?

·
Canfield Bikes
1,152 Posts
.thumper. said:
I wouldn't call these trails DH or FR, really. But you can shuttle some of them that give you an overall elevation drop. There is still considerable climbing. There is a DH trail out there that Lance Canfield built, but is not open yet, I understand. That said, one could still have some fun on a DH bike, but a FR / All-mountain bike is better suited on the stuff I've ridden out there so far....
I live in Fruita and I am a avid downhiller.
There are NO downhill trails in GJ or Fruita. There are trails with generally down but all involve a considerable amout of climbing.
The Forest Service still has the road closed to the Mesa, even though it was scheduled to open this weekend. So no BM DH. And I must say I am working with COPMOPA to get the BM trail evaluated and until it is official I wouldn't want to promote it as a ligitamate trail.
I'll be in town though so if ya all want to have a guide I'd be happy to show you the trails I like. I'll ride my hard tail though, better suited to the riding here.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flymybike said:
There are NO downhill trails in GJ or Fruita. There are trails with generally down but all involve a considerable amout of climbing.
The Forest Service still has the road closed to the Mesa, even though it was scheduled to open this weekend. So no BM DH. And I must say I am working with COPMOPA to get the BM trail evaluated and until it is official I wouldn't want to promote it as a ligitamate trail.
I'll be in town though so if ya all want to have a guide I'd be happy to show you the trails I like. I'll ride my hard tail though, better suited to the riding here.
Can we get your number? We will give you a call.
-Billy

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
flymybike said:
You guys hook up a guided tour from the man himself on a weekend I can't be there?

Bastards... have fun

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
WTF? You guys hook up a guided tour from the man himself on a weekend I can't be there?

Bastards... have fun
No kidding! I want to meet/ride with lance. :D

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
bpatterson6 said:
I like riding in Fruita, but this weekend isn't seem to be the time to go. Too crowded.......

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.