Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you commute on your mountain bike do you bother switching to slick thinner tyres or do you just pump them up your knobblies a food few psi more . Obviously this only really applies to those of us who only 1 (gasp) bike .

·
since 4/10/2009
31,527 Posts
If I ride on trails the vast majority of the time, and only occasionally commute on the mtb, I just inflate more.

If I am doing a lot of commuting on the bike, I'll throw on some tires better suited to pavement, so I don't wear out my expensive knobbies too quickly.

If I do a lot of both, and don't want to change tires all the time, I find a bike I can use as a dedicated commuter. I have had a dedicated commuter for several years now. I started on a repurposed entry level mtb. Now I have a touring bike that was built from the frame up as a commuter.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
I built up a cheap bike from bits I had. I used to use my good bike for commuting but it knocks the crap out of it, especially in the winter. I'd rather use any old junk to get to work.

·
passed out in your garden
2,858 Posts
ummmmm, l commute on my Fat bike, about 8psi front & back,
and l have 4 bikes

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,019 Posts
I ride single speed and hard tail on commutes as well as trails.

Same tires; different inflation strategy depending on what I'm riding. I average more than 3,000 miles a year (all on knobby tires) and somewhere around 1/3rd are on trails.

A few of my cronies ran slicks on urban assaults for a little while. They weren't much faster so slacker laziness won :thumbsup:

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,241 Posts
same tires same everything

so much simpler...just get new tires when going offroad and they slip
beyond what you feel is serviceable

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
When I had One True Bike, I didn't change anything. I did use a skinnier, over-inflated rear tire full-time, but I've come to think that was counter productive everywhere.

You can get a commuter for $100, a nicer one for $350. Hard to buy a complete set of wheels, with tires, rotor and cassette for that. And while some people have good luck, more likely than not you'd have to fiddle with something every time you switched.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I used to have 2 sets of wheels for my mtb, one with knobbies and one with slicks. I tried some hybrid tyres before, the conti traffic, schwalbe marathon mtb and the conti travelcontact. I was not satisfied with neither of them so I took a 2nd set of wheels. On my current commuter I had the travelcontact, now I got the maarathon racer but it is not as good as I hoped for. Next set will be the travelcontact again I guess.

G

·
Depends on the season. I like cross tires if the roads and trails are hard packed and 2.2 contis when they're not. I don't mind changing tires and I have a unique commute (17.5 miles each way that looks like: 5.5 miles Gravel, 6 miles gravel MUP, 4 miles paved MUP and 2 miles street). Honestly, I'm not much faster on thinner tires because I flow over stuff better, stop quicker and corner harder.

·
Epic eater
356 Posts
Ha, good trick question...we all know it's impossible to only have one bike...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I've been running conti trail kings , 2.4 up front an 2.2 on the back 26" on a cannondale hardtail probably around 30 psi . Last year when commuting I did throw on some schwalbe city jets . I actually had some guy comment on how quickly I accelerated off the lights and at roundabouts . I'm tempted to throw the 1.5 schwalbe back on . I pimp.them up to the max but ruins any kind of comfort . Think I'll time myself for a week before I change tyres around and compare .

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
When I ride the MTB (I have a trail option commute that is way more fun on the "real" MTB) I just go with the knobbies that are always on that bike. I do think about tire wear for the 6 miles of that commute that are on pavement though :cryin:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Running Kenda Klymax on mtn bike commuter for 19 miles each way with about 5 on trails and gravel each way.

slicks and skinnies suck in gravel because they just sink in.

Klymax has just enough tread for the dirt and gravel but they're light and skinny for the road. Claimed weight is 345 grams.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
If you do put your slicks back on, don't overinflate them. Play around with the pressure a little and see what works. On my road bike with 23 mm tires, I ended up using the lowest pressure that doesn't wallow when I climb out of the saddle. That's high enough for a firm feel in corners and to avoid pinch flats too. But it's a lot lower than the pressure printed on the sidewalls. That's pretty similar to MTB, actually. And, they feel smooth and roll fast on asphalt.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
1 bike? I just grab one of my commutified rides. 18 miles of pavement with 6" of travel on a tubeless set up ain't good. The Karate Monkey with wide rims and 29 x2.3 slicks fit the bill.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
So when you commute on your mountain bike do you bother switching to slick thinner tyres or do you just pump them up your knobblies a food few psi more . Obviously this only really applies to those of us who only 1 (gasp) bike .
For the first three years I ran pumped up knobbies....

I was wearing out tires way to fast.

So I bought a another set of wheels and went to slicks....

Then I bought another set of wheels so I have knobbies slicks and studs...

Tire consumption is way way down.

·
High Plains Luddite
163 Posts
I bought a set of Forte Gotham street tires (26 x 1.75) from Performance Bike two years ago. They are much faster on pavement than knobbies. One tradeoff for these particular street tires are noticeably heavier than knobbies, but I haven't had a flat with them yet.

Then I lucked into a free 26" front wheel from a friend, so I keep a knobby tire on one front wheel and a street tire on the other. If I want to change for weekend off-roading with friends or a week of commuting on mostly pavement, I change the tire on the rear wheel, and of course it only takes a couple seconds to swap front the front wheels.

This has been a good setup for me. Another rear wheel & cassette would be ideal, but I don't swap rear tires often enough for me to go wheel shopping right now.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
I ride 10 miles round trip to and from the trails so I make sure to buy slow wearing tires for the rear. With that said, I only commute 2 -5 miles round trip on the mtb unless I ride around town. I just run the same pressure and that's on the SS or mtb.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts