Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning to buy some wheels soon, (48 Spoke Crushers :D ) and they are machine built. When you buy machine built wheels, do you untension them and retension them before you ride them so that they are as good as handbuilt wheels? I have heard of some people doing this, just wondering if it is the right thing to do. and I do know how to build wheels, so the level of technical difficulty is not a problem. Thanks for the help you guys.

·
Registered
906 Posts
That's what I'm planning on doing, but I haven't done it yet so I can't speak to its worth.

I think in most cases you'll need to true the wheel after a few rides if you don't unwind the spokes to start with, so either way you'll have the wrench out.

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
seems like machine builts are always under tensioned, so no need to detension 'em first. i've done this with probably a half dozen machine built wheelsets, all came out great. i start the process off by balancing the tension out wherever they are at, then truing at that tension, then bringing the tension up in steps. probably takes longer than starting with a wheel you laced yourself, but machine builts can be had so cheap sometimes that it's worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.