Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was swapping around cranks this weekend and discovered that my 10 month old crank bros. cobalt BB is spinning very roughly. No play in the spindle, but nothing close to the smooth spin that it had when new (and nothing like the old square tapers that I'm used to). I had expected to get alot more life out of this one, but I guess no such luck. So I guess my question is, is this normal "wear and tear" or is it something that I can expect CB to warrant. I really don't want to give up on ISIS since I really like the race face compact cranks I've been using.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The BB will not last as long if you are smashing it on obsticles. I go through quite a few for this reason. I also found that ISIS drive seem to not last very long. I don't know why, but I never replaced the octalink as often. But, you can't save them, so screw it. Put the rough one back in until it squeeks. If that doesn't bother you, wait until it feels loose at the crankarms. And it that doesn't bother you, wait until the ball bearings fall out. But you might be surprised how smooth it feels with the crank arms on it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I guess the extra bucks for the Cobalt was for the fancy blue anodizing. I really would have expected it to last longer. I guess I'll just keep riding it until it falls apart. I have a Shimano UN72 that has been on several bikes over the past 10+ years and still is silky smooth.

·
Bicyclist
180 Posts
That's one thing that I really like about the older cup and cone bottom brackets, serviceable. The "sealed unit" cartridge bottom brackets you have to throw in the gutter and go buy another, but they are suppose to be better than the old cup and cone.
Anyway... you've only had it for 10 months? That's not very long! I would contact either the retailer where you bought it or crank brothers to see if they will cover it.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Crank Bros is generally good about their warranties so I would contact them. I like to think the amount you pay for the Cobalt is for the 5 year warranty so use it. I finally dropped ISIS after hanging with it for 4 years. I liked the lower Q-Factor but I went through a few BB's myself...though my last GigaPipe SL lasted 1.5 years and was still going when I sold the bike. In the meantime my Octalink on my road bike is 9 years old now and going strong (given it doesn't see muck).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.