Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

At what point is 26er and vintage synonymous?

• I went from road bike -> 29er. 26 was a temporary setback like 650b+

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, i hope we never do. MTBR's glorious excess of forums is the reason i keep coming back to ignore most of them.

·
Sneaker man
3,664 Posts
You can't the vrc forum cuts off at 1997, if you bung anything newer than that, it won't go well...

need to have an Almost but not quite vintage/retro/classic forum and a Newish but not modern vintage/retro/classic forum.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
It's absurd to allow a market-driven forum site to continue to pretend it's independent of industry control.
If we, the alleged individuals who "drive" this site, wand a separate 26-er form, then, by god, let it continue.

We are not ALL corporate fan-boiz.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I guess you don't follow slope style, 4x, rampage, or pumptrack. When 26" is no longer used for those forms of competition you'll have an argument to make.

Until then it's ignorant to say 26" is vintage. Maybe rephrase and say vintage for racing? Actually that doesn't work because 4x is racing, so is pumptrack for that matter. How about vintage at your LBS?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts

·
2,821 Posts
Not sure why we would even think about rolling this forum in to vintage/retro/classic. We are starting to see mfg's come out with new 26" models for shorter riders in the 5' and under range.

Rock Shox even introduced a new REBA 26" that is even valved for lighter weight riders.

What was old is new again.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Never will, now millennial bikes.... 5 years or so should do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Things always come around 29 and 27.5 aren't new. I feel like 27.5 seems to be in as much danger if not more, it seems everyone in racing is using 29. 26 is staying in the world of freestyle, dj/street, slope-style, and so on. So where does that leave 27.5? gravel bikes and a plus option most people don't use. Maybe I'm wrong though. My personal hope is that at some point it wont matter and adjustable geometry will give the consumer more choice. Personally I don't mind the vintage label, I'm probably gonna be on my 26er for the next 8 years and after that Ill swap the parts to a custom frame with adjustable geo and never care about standards again. No fussing with 5k enduro bikes made in china, not my riding style anyway.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Amen to that Radium

It's absurd to allow a market-driven forum site to continue to pretend it's independent of industry control.

We are not ALL corporate fan-boiz.
Things always come around 29 and 27.5 aren't new. I feel like 27.5 seems to be in as much danger if not more, it seems everyone in racing is using 29. 26 is staying in the world of freestyle, dj/street, slope-style, and so on. So where does that leave 27.5? gravel bikes and a plus option most people don't use. Maybe I'm wrong though. My personal hope is that at some point it wont matter and adjustable geometry will give the consumer more choice. Personally I don't mind the vintage label, I'm probably gonna be on my 26er for the next 8 years and after that Ill swap the parts to a custom frame with adjustable geo and never care about standards again. No fussing with 5k enduro bikes made in china, not my riding style anyway.
26 is just fine, leave it where it is. People want cheap standarized bicycles and not a new "technology" every cpl yrs. I want to be able to use my 1-1/4" fork on whatever bicycle I buy new, or used and not have to wonder is that a 1.5" or wonder what bb it is, or whatever other garbage bike corps are pushing.

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
Don't do that to the VRC crowd! They *happily* acknowledge that they're riding relics. Dumping a buncha 26-ain't-dead sycophants into their laps is like sticking a trailer park into an upscale retirement community -- little good will come of it.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't do that to the VRC crowd! They *happily* acknowledge that they're riding relics. Dumping a buncha 26-ain't-dead sycophants into their laps is like sticking a trailer park into an upscale retirement community -- little good will come of it.
Kinda tacky to hop in some else's forum just to ****-talk them, isn't it?

;);)

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
Kinda tacky to hop in some else's forum just to ****-talk them, isn't it?

;);)
I have both a 26" bike and a vintage bike in my tiny fleet, so I consider this "my" forum as much as anyone else's.

But tacky? If you mean the way I dress, then sure...

·
Ride what you like!
1,084 Posts
Jamis Dragonslayer. Jamis Komodo\Eden. Surly Lowside.
New bikes available in 26, nothing vintage or retro about them.
I guess wheelsize doesn't determine the age of a bike. Maybe we should use the age of the bike to determine the age?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.